Sponsored

Rubicon vs sport suspension height?

smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still none
So... stock rubicon sits higher than sport. Just a question from an uneducated scrub. Wheels and tires aside, if you get the mopar 2” lift installed on both the rubicon and the sport, would the rubicon still be 2” taller? The factory components that make it taller are ripped out for a lift right?
Sorry, but I would like to insist about this matter.

If I own a Sport, and I fit Mopar lift, I get 2 inches, right? But, if I fit it on Rubicon, and Rubicon is already 1'5 inches higher than Sport, and Mopar kit is the same, it's just impossible to get 2 inches too. I would get half inche. Or Mopar kits are diferent depending on tipe of Wrangler?

And, if kits were diferent depending on the model, and I fit Rubi suspension on a Sport, and later on I add a 2" lift kit, what's my final lift, 3'5"? That would mean changing of all arms and driveshafts!.

I just got in touch with Rubicon Express and they have told me that 2'5 Kit is the same for Rubicon and for Sport, so, if Rubi is already 1'5 taller, it's just impossible that the kit gives 2'5" to both models.

Someone lies about all this.

SM1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending...
I just got in touch with Rubicon Express and they have told me that 2'5 Kit is the same for Rubicon and for Sport, so, if Rubi is already 1'5 taller, it's just impossible that the kit gives 2'5" to both models.

Someone lies about all this.
I’m not an expert, don’t even have my JL yet, but as I understand it, the Mopar 2” kit would be like 3”+ on a Sport and 2” on a Rubi. Most lift kits aren’t an exact measurement anyway. I think the other parts in the Sport can accommodate the Mopar lift without changes. But again, this is just based on what I’ve read not actual knowledge.

smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still none
Ok, but, as I've read by the thread, if you take off coils and shocks, Rubi and Sport would be the same because the rest of parts are the same, right? So, if you fit on Mopar lift in both ones you should get exactly the same lift and both of them would be exactly same high.

It's a mess.

Sponsored

smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still none
I know, but I'm talking about all this matter without taking in account flares.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
20180708_145154.jpg
20180708_171453.jpg
Will the shocks and springs from a 2017 JKUR still bolt on to a 2018 JLU sport? Just bought wheels and tires from 17 JKU Rubicon and put them on yesterday. Also got the springs and shocks, and was hoping to put those on as well. He gave me the steering stabilizer also. But did not get the drag links or anything else. Any info appreciated.

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
For just shocks, yes at home. Just jack it about three inches off ground on rear diff. Use jack stands on frame and set Jeep on them. Remove wheels. Lower axle with jack until load is off of springs. Remove lower bolt, upper bolt. Install new shock. I think torque was 50 ft lbs.
For the front I did one side at a time because my floor jack wouldnt jack it high enough. Same thing though. Use the jack to position shock mount on shock.
How long did it take you to do the install?

Sponsored

dirt2danasty

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Black
For anyone that did this install themselves did you remove the shocks before the springs came out or does it matter? I plan on installing the take-offs I purchased this weekend.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
So we just had a rubicon suspension swapped into our sport today and a few things were noticed.

First, the steering wheel is slightly off to the left and will need to be adjusted. Not sure if that’s an easy task or not. Will probably let alignment peeps do it.

Second, the rear springs appear to be the same height but the front springs appear to be slightly differing heights. They compared the sport springs to make sure it wasn’t an anomaly with the rubicon take offs but they were the same. I gave the shop the part numbers I posted early on in this thread for springs so they were able to sort them out based on that. Don’t remember which was the tall vs short side but relaying the find for what it’s worth.

Lastly, they measured and compared and insisted the 4 sway bar links were identical, the two front lower control arms were identical and the spring perches were identical other than color. I had them go ahead and put the rubicon lower control arms and perches in, but I held the sway links out as spares down the road.

Overall made a nice ride difference and height difference. Pleased and will get the alignment and wheel straightened later this week.

p2838326502-4.jpg
So, the lower control arms and sway bar links are no different between the Sport and Sahara? It seemed reasonable that they were longer to compensate for axle rotation as noted earlier in the thread. Interesting and confusing at the same time...

Why would the Mopar 2" lift kit contain lower control arms that are longer than stock but the Sport Vs Rubicon control arms be the same? Why would the Rubicon not have longer lower control arms?

Not questioning or doubting you, but more like trying to think this through and make sense of this swap.

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JL Unlimited Sport S
Any write ups out there for doing this swap. I haven’t been able to find them yet. Mechanically inclined, and I have tools, however this is my first wrangler and would be the first time I’ve worked on suspension.

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I put the Rubicon suspension on my sport a few weeks ago and last night put on the rough country 2.5 boost. It drives exactly the same as before the lift except for the obvious change in center of gravity. Drives and looks great. The instructions for the kit SUCK. Took my dad and I 8.5 hrs to do.

20180802_024508.jpg

View attachment 73586

20180802_024446.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

dirt2danasty

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Black
I put the Rubicon suspension on my sport a few weeks ago and last night put on the rough country 2.5 boost. It drives exactly the same as before the lift except for the obvious change in center of gravity. Drives and looks great. The instructions for the kit SUCK. Took my dad and I 8.5 hrs to do.

20180802_024508.jpg

View attachment 73586

20180802_024446.jpg
This is exactly what I want to do! I have my Rubicon takeoffs just need to install them.

How does it handle off-road? Also any tips you can share for someone installing themselves?
Sponsored