Sponsored

Rubicon vs sport suspension height?

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I finished up at 2:30 last night. Started around 6. No offroading yet but on the road it drives great. I took it offroading in Colorado with just the Rubicon suspension and it was great. The RC lift instructions don't specify which shock mount goes where, and pictures are very dark. They also don't specify how many washers to use til the end (rear). They don't list all torque values, and the passenger front bumper stop extension took forever to figure out how to tighten. Lots of trial and error. I actually liked the ride with the Rubicon suspension better than the sport.
From the ground to the bottom of the fender measures right at 40" currently.
Sponsored

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JL Unlimited Sport S
I finished up at 2:30 last night. Started around 6. No offroading yet but on the road it drives great. I took it offroading in Colorado with just the Rubicon suspension and it was great. The RC lift instructions don't specify which shock mount goes where, and pictures are very dark. They also don't specify how many washers to use til the end (rear). They don't list all torque values, and the passenger front bumper stop extension took forever to figure out how to tighten. Lots of trial and error. I actually liked the ride with the Rubicon suspension better than the sport.
Did you happen to find the torque specs online anywhere?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I had to do a triple take when I read what you posted because I thought I was reading my own post. You and I did almost the exact same thing. I put the RC budget lift on and started it at 6PM and wrapped up at 2:30AM which included a road test and run to the store.
Kevin8086 has a video on YouTube where he gave some tips on installation. I watched that many times, laid all the components out and read the destructions multiple times to get familiar with it all. I took my time, did it solo and I am the wiser for it :)
My wife has a Sahara and wanted a small lift so initially I bought an entire Rubi suspension, coils, shocks, lower control arms, sway bar links for $300 from Rubitrux in Boone, NC. After realizing I would only net about .75" maybe a little more she tells me, after coming home from a mountain trip, "I'm not driving this anymore until you put a 2" lift on it! I look like a sissy next to all the other Jeeps!"
So I set the Rubi aside and did the RC. Now I have an entire Rubi suspension should I want to go a tick higher or when the Sahara components wear out.
We have been very pleased with the RC budget lift. Sits great on the Rubi rims and tires we put on it. Rides great and like you said, other than the higher center of gravity and extra roll that ANY lift will cause, it rides great.

I took it on Hurricane Creek Trail outside Waynesville after a pretty good rain the night before. I handled awesomely. The thing is a beast and didn't struggle with anything. The lift is the perfect height for weekend off roading and daily driver.

Regarding torque: about 1/3 of the way through I said screw it and stopped using the torque wrench. Been wrenching on cars for 30 years, I did it by feel. I can tell you this, 50 or 60 ft/lbs is way too much for the sway bars link bolts. I tried to get it there and crushed the inner sleeve inside the bushing. RC was cool and sent me new sway bar links and bolts. I tightened them down with my Dewalt impact gun and all is well.

RC admitted to me that the instructions sucked and that they needed to update them.

First pic is stock suspension with Rubi rims/tires. Second pic is after the RC 2.5". NOTE: It's called 2.5" because the front is raised 2.5" to take the .5" inch of rake out. Overall you are lifting 2" because that's what the rear gets lifted and what the front is lifted after removing the rake.

upload_2018-6-26_10-38-36-jpeg.jpg

upload_2018-6-26_10-38-50-jpeg.jpg

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Looks like a proper Jeep stance. Wasn't happy while installing last night, but today I love the stance. That jeep looks great!

Sponsored

davidschmaus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I had to do a triple take when I read what you posted because I thought I was reading my own post. You and I did almost the exact same thing. I put the RC budget lift on and started it at 6PM and wrapped up at 2:30AM which included a road test and run to the store.
Kevin8086 has a video on YouTube where he gave some tips on installation. I watched that many times, laid all the components out and read the destructions multiple times to get familiar with it all. I took my time, did it solo and I am the wiser for it :)
My wife has a Sahara and wanted a small lift so initially I bought an entire Rubi suspension, coils, shocks, lower control arms, sway bar links for $300 from Rubitrux in Boone, NC. After realizing I would only net about .75" maybe a little more she tells me, after coming home from a mountain trip, "I'm not driving this anymore until you put a 2" lift on it! I look like a sissy next to all the other Jeeps!"
So I set the Rubi aside and did the RC. Now I have an entire Rubi suspension should I want to go a tick higher or when the Sahara components wear out.
We have been very pleased with the RC budget lift. Sits great on the Rubi rims and tires we put on it. Rides great and like you said, other than the higher center of gravity and extra roll that ANY lift will cause, it rides great.

I took it on Hurricane Creek Trail outside Waynesville after a pretty good rain the night before. I handled awesomely. The thing is a beast and didn't struggle with anything. The lift is the perfect height for weekend off roading and daily driver.

Regarding torque: about 1/3 of the way through I said screw it and stopped using the torque wrench. Been wrenching on cars for 30 years, I did it by feel. I can tell you this, 50 or 60 ft/lbs is way too much for the sway bars link bolts. I tried to get it there and crushed the inner sleeve inside the bushing. RC was cool and sent me new sway bar links and bolts. I tightened them down with my Dewalt impact gun and all is well.

RC admitted to me that the instructions sucked and that they needed to update them.

First pic is stock suspension with Rubi rims/tires. Second pic is after the RC 2.5". NOTE: It's called 2.5" because the front is raised 2.5" to take the .5" inch of rake out. Overall you are lifting 2" because that's what the rear gets lifted and what the front is lifted after removing the rake.

upload_2018-6-26_10-38-36-jpeg.jpg

upload_2018-6-26_10-38-50-jpeg.jpg

Did you check before and after measurements? In these photos it looks like a 4" lift to me

72commando

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Jeep Commando, '18 JLU sport s
Does anyone know if the spring seats are different for the Rubicon or have the rubicon spring seat part#? I found a take off suspension locally buts it doesnt include the spring seats and I am trying to find out if I need to and can source them.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at mine (Sahara) verses the Rubi and they were the same. Can't always go by part number. The sway bar links I got from the Rubi are identical to the Sahara but have a slightly different number stamped on them.
The seat issues you may have heard about are with the Mopar (Fox) 2" lift. The seats for those springs are not correct and you can't use the stock ones.

72commando

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone who has done the swap is this easy enough to do with jacks, jack stands, electric impact, and a torque wrench? From looking at videos of people installing other lifts it looks possible to do it bare bones. I have access to everything but a car lift and dont really want to pay $500 for an installer to do it. I have lifted vintage jeeps in my driveway several times now but nothing that didnt have leaf springs before.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone who has done the swap is this easy enough to do with jacks, jack stands, electric impact, and a torque wrench? From looking at videos of people installing other lifts it looks possible to do it bare bones. I have access to everything but a car lift and dont really want to pay $500 for an installer to do it. I have lifted vintage jeeps in my driveway several times now but nothing that didnt have leaf springs before.
You got it. That's all you need.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You got it. That's all you need.
Don't forget patience. Lots of that is required. :)

The instructions are horrendous and some of the parts need to be modified to work. Things that should be 5 minutes are 60 minute jobs on this kit. They could have made it so much easier.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget patience. Lots of that is required. :)

The instructions are horrendous and some of the parts need to be modified to work. Things that should be 5 minutes are 60 minute jobs on this kit. They could have made it so much easier.
RC even admitted to me on the phone that the destructions suck.

Go into this as a learning experience and you will be fine. Look around under there. Make sure anything that will get tension when the axle drops gets disconnected. As noted by Kevin8086 on his video, you do not need to disconnect the front drive shaft.

72commando

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed takeoff suspension from a fully loaded steel bumper hardtop rubi on my hardtop sport s today. I gained 2” in the back and 1.5” in the front. Going from 37” to 39” at center bottom of fender in the rear and 36.5” to 38” in the front. Will likely do a leveling kit soon as the rake is more notciable now. Pretty easy driveway job that took about 3 hours total.

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JL Unlimited Sport S
Installed takeoff suspension from a fully loaded steel bumper hardtop rubi on my hardtop sport s today. I gained 2” in the back and 1.5” in the front. Going from 37” to 39” at center bottom of fender in the rear and 36.5” to 38” in the front. Will likely do a leveling kit soon as the rake is more notciable now. Pretty easy driveway job that took about 3 hours total.
Is yours a 4 door? How’d the ride and steering?

I’m doing mine soon and I have the same setup. Suspension from a hardtop Rubi with steel bumpers to a hardtop sport s unlimited. I’m deciding on if I want to do the RC front spacer level kit. I was worried that .75 inch was too much, but if I have similar results as you then it would be just about right.
Sponsored