MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So we just had a rubicon suspension swapped into our sport today and a few things were noticed.

First, the steering wheel is slightly off to the left and will need to be adjusted. Not sure if that’s an easy task or not. Will probably let alignment peeps do it.

Second, the rear springs appear to be the same height but the front springs appear to be slightly differing heights. They compared the sport springs to make sure it wasn’t an anomaly with the rubicon take offs but they were the same. I gave the shop the part numbers I posted early on in this thread for springs so they were able to sort them out based on that. Don’t remember which was the tall vs short side but relaying the find for what it’s worth.

Lastly, they measured and compared and insisted the 4 sway bar links were identical, the two front lower control arms were identical and the spring perches were identical other than color. I had them go ahead and put the rubicon lower control arms and perches in, but I held the sway links out as spares down the road.

Overall made a nice ride difference and height difference. Pleased and will get the alignment and wheel straightened later this week.

p2838326502-4.jpg
The steering wheel is an easy adjustment. Loosen up the adjustment sleeve on the drag link and rotate it until the steering wheel is straight. Rotating one way turns the wheel a specific direction. Rotate it the other way to turn the wheel the other direction. Then tighten it back down. All you are doing is lengthening/shortening the overall length of the draglink which is necessary as the vehicle is sitting higher and the draglink connects between the wheel knuckle connected to the axle and the pitman arm/gear box connected to the body. The axle and body just moved farther apart so it pulls the wheel to one side until you adjust it.

Easiest if someone sits in the drivers seat and tells you when it’s lined up.
Sponsored

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
So I installed just the rubicon shocks on my hardtop/tow package Sport;

Before- Front 36 1/4 and rear 36 1/2

After- Front 36 3/4 and rear 37 1/4

Spring P/n;
Front 57/58 Rear 87/88

For me this is a perfect balance of street drivability and off roaf capability.

20180513_101017.jpg

20180513_101031.jpg

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of effort is needed to make this swap on your own? Can a novice home mechanic do it? Thx.

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
What kind of effort is needed to make this swap on your own? Can a novice home mechanic do it? Thx.
For just shocks, yes at home. Just jack it about three inches off ground on rear diff. Use jack stands on frame and set Jeep on them. Remove wheels. Lower axle with jack until load is off of springs. Remove lower bolt, upper bolt. Install new shock. I think torque was 50 ft lbs.
For the front I did one side at a time because my floor jack wouldnt jack it high enough. Same thing though. Use the jack to position shock mount on shock.

Sponsored

Shodan01

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR (Mine), '66 Bronco U13 (Hers), '66 Mustang Fastback (Mine), '18 Audi S8 Plus (Mine), '18 Audi RS7 (Hers)
I will have a set of Rubicon wheels/tires with 30 miles on them, and a rubicon suspension for sale. IF wanted PM Me with fair offers.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
For just shocks, yes at home. Just jack it about three inches off ground on rear diff. Use jack stands on frame and set Jeep on them. Remove wheels. Lower axle with jack until load is off of springs. Remove lower bolt, upper bolt. Install new shock. I think torque was 50 ft lbs.
For the front I did one side at a time because my floor jack wouldnt jack it high enough. Same thing though. Use the jack to position shock mount on shock.
Thanks. Sounds like i’ll need to do dealer or a local garage (or my buddy w more tools)

furmother

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl sport s 2.0t
Has anyone tried four door rubi shocks/springs on a two-door JL yet? I remember JK sports running rubi's...wondering if the JL will be swappable too?
A little off topic but: Bonus points if you know anything about axle swapping: ei. a JL rubi front end swapped onto a JL sport(anti-spin will give you dana 44 in the rear)? with a rubi front you can gear swap the rear to 4;10 to match?

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
A little off topic but: Bonus points if you know anything about axle swapping: ei. a JL rubi front end swapped onto a JL sport(anti-spin will give you dana 44 in the rear)? with a rubi front you can gear swap the rear to 4;10 to match?
Rubicon axles are a little wider, but it should just be a bolt on. Then you have to figure out how to switch the locker in and out.

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried four door rubi shocks/springs on a two-door JL yet? I remember JK sports running rubi's...wondering if the JL will be swappable too?
The spring swap should be very similar to the JK. I expect a good 1.5 to 2" lift out of 4dr high number springs on a 2dr.

Sponsored

Newdeal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Does anyone have the exact height of a stock rubicon hardtop and a stock sport s hardtop? I know the manual and official sources quote 73.6 inches but is that for a sport and rubicon or just the sport. Also, is it for the soft top, which is the base model and appears a few inches higher, or the hardtop which appears lower. This info is critical to me given the low clearance of my garage doors. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Quick question from a novice (mechanical idiot): Will a Rubicon 4DR suspension fiit/work on a 2DR? I'm looking for a mild lift and, from this thread it looks like I could accomplish this with one of the many Rubicon suspension out there - just don't want my first real mod to be a disaster.

Thanks

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Quick question from a novice (mechanical idiot): Will a Rubicon 4DR suspension fiit/work on a 2DR? I'm looking for a mild lift and, from this thread it looks like I could accomplish this with one of the many Rubicon suspension out there - just don't want my first real mod to be a disaster.

Thanks
should all fit just give a little more height as they are different weights.
Sponsored