Rubicon vs sport suspension height?

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I read something about suspension binding, do you tighten the suspension hardware with weight on wheels to avoid this or while axle is off ground?
Sponsored

Brett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I read something about suspension binding, do you tighten the suspension hardware with weight on wheels to avoid this or while axle is off ground?
Good question. Not sure, I had dealer install Rubicon suspension.

OP
OP

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
Wait a minute, so you guys are saying the sway links and the lower control arms are the same length? If that’s the case on the control arms, how is the alignment corrected between the two? Thought the rubicon control arms were slightly longer.

OP
OP

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
So we just had a rubicon suspension swapped into our sport today and a few things were noticed.

First, the steering wheel is slightly off to the left and will need to be adjusted. Not sure if that’s an easy task or not. Will probably let alignment peeps do it.

Second, the rear springs appear to be the same height but the front springs appear to be slightly differing heights. They compared the sport springs to make sure it wasn’t an anomaly with the rubicon take offs but they were the same. I gave the shop the part numbers I posted early on in this thread for springs so they were able to sort them out based on that. Don’t remember which was the tall vs short side but relaying the find for what it’s worth.

Lastly, they measured and compared and insisted the 4 sway bar links were identical, the two front lower control arms were identical and the spring perches were identical other than color. I had them go ahead and put the rubicon lower control arms and perches in, but I held the sway links out as spares down the road.

Overall made a nice ride difference and height difference. Pleased and will get the alignment and wheel straightened later this week.

p2838326502-4.jpg

Last edited:

SHARKBJJ

First Name
Emyr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
So we just had a rubicon suspension swapped into our sport today and a few things were noticed.

First, the steering wheel is slightly off to the left and will need to be adjusted. Not sure if that’s an easy task or not. Will probably let alignment peeps do it.

Second, the rear springs appear to be the same height but the front springs appear to be slightly differing heights. They compared the sport springs to make sure it wasn’t an anomaly with the rubicon take offs but they were the same. I gave the shop the part numbers I posted early on in this thread for springs so they were able to sort them out based on that. Don’t remember which was the tall vs short side but relaying the find for what it’s worth.

Lastly, they measured and compared and insisted the 4 sway bar links were identical, the two front lower control arms were identical and the spring perches were identical other than color. I had them go ahead and put the rubicon lower control arms and perches in, but I held the sway links out as spares down the road.

Overall made a nice ride difference and height difference. Pleased and will get the alignment and wheel straightened later this week.

p2838326502-4.jpg
Please keep us posted after the alignment. Thank you

Sponsored

OP
OP

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
Please keep us posted after the alignment. Thank you

Couldn’t find anyone with alignment specs. Realize it’s mainly just the toe setting but regardless no one had the JL specs yet. Didn’t try the dealer though.

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to add some clarity here... There will be many different spring numbers on the JL's. The springs will be selected based on the equipment on the Jeep. A hard top will have a longer spring than a soft top, etc. It's entirely possible to have a Sport hard top and a Rubicon soft top with the same springs, so a swap would give you nothing. It's also possible to go the other way and get quite a lot. The springs on a Rubicon hard top will be quite a bit longer than those on a sport soft top.

So, before you do the swap, check out the spring numbers to make sure you know what you are getting. Unfortunately, we don't have the full range of spring numbers yet to know exactly what is desirable.

OP
OP

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to add some clarity here... There will be many different spring numbers on the JL's. The springs will be selected based on the equipment on the Jeep. A hard top will have a longer spring than a soft top, etc. It's entirely possible to have a Sport hard top and a Rubicon soft top with the same springs, so a swap would give you nothing. It's also possible to go the other way and get quite a lot. The springs on a Rubicon hard top will be quite a bit longer than those on a sport soft top.

So, before you do the swap, check out the spring numbers to make sure you know what you are getting. Unfortunately, we don't have the full range of spring numbers yet to know exactly what is desirable.

Good point and I don’t know if that’s the case or not. More people with various configurations would have to be willing to post the codes from their springs stickers to figure it out. Personally I’d be surprised if hard top and soft top got different spring packages as that would complicate the parts supply but who knows.

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Good point and I don’t know if that’s the case or not. More people with various configurations would have to be willing to post the codes from their springs stickers to figure it out. Personally I’d be surprised if hard top and soft top got different spring packages as that would complicate the parts supply but who knows.
Unless they totally changed their philosophy from the JK to the JL, there definitely will be different springs for different configurations. Not including special editions, like the 10A, there are 8 different front springs (12 to 19) used on JK's and 9 different rear springs (52 to 60). Each spring number increase is approximately 1/4" longer than the previous one. The lowest 4-5 are found primarily on 2dr's and the upper 4-5 on 4dr's. Hard top and tow package always meant higher spring numbers. The "number" is the last 2 digits before the letters in the part number, on the JL it can be found at the very bottom of the spring tag.

20180420_160718-1-jpg.jpg

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
I'd like to add some clarity here... before you do the swap, check out the spring numbers to make sure you know what you are getting. ....
Good advice. I swapped out our hardtop Sport S suspension to one from a Rubicon hardtop with steel bumpers. Spring numbers were 87/88 and 57/58 on the Sport. Going to the Rubi's 89/90 and 59/60 gave me between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2" lift. I have the Rubicon tires in the basement and will get those mounted in a couple of week. That will give an overall of almost 2". I am very very satisfied with these results.

Someone asked about handling and ride. My best summation would be that the Rubicon suspension rides firmer but at the same time more comfortable. I know that sounds contradictory so here's another comparison, our 3 series BMW rides exactly like our Sport on the road. Very firm but also very comfortable. Haven't taken the Bimmer off road yet. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
I have suspension parts from a rubicon hardtop available for sale, includes LCA's.
Pm me in vegas

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
So with the springs being variable in size, is there any benefit to adding just Rubicon shocks to a Sport?

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Yes, ride quality. The springs added some height but it's the shocks altering the ride quality. We had no issues with the Sport ride but the Rubicon shocks are definitely a step up.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I'm thinking why not wait for aftermarket options?

Then I remembered that stock Rubicon parts are almost given away. :lipssealed::beer:

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Always tighten up and torque with the weight of the whole vehicle on it while on the ground and not on a lift or jacked up. This is for control arms, trackbars, etc. things like any brackets should be fully torqued prior to putting the weight of the vehicle on it.
Sponsored