Rubicon vs. Sahara + Half Doors

bondijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe - Sarge Green
Looking at buying a new 4xe and having the debate in the subject line - a well equipped Rubicon (no steel bumper) is about the same price as a similarly optioned Sahara plus half doors plus the net cost of upgrading to Rubicon takeoff wheels and tires (I don't like the 20" 4xe wheels).

I'm in New Jersey far from any rocks, and while I know the strong opinion on this forum is that "no one regrets buying a Rubicon", I'm wondering whether people would choose a Rubicon over Sahara with half doors and 33" K02s. Side note - Sarge green only available in Sahara...
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So Sahara and High Altitude 4xe come with the same 20” wheels. That is odd.

But then Sahara is available in many more colors than Rubicon. Odd again.

Not sure what FCA is trying to do. Perhaps this is their subtle way of saying “you don’t really want to take a 4xe very far off-road.”

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Joe,
What's your anticipated usage of the vehicle for the period of time that you'll own it? The Rubicon adds capability, but choosing that trim makes objective financial sense for the buyer only if he recurringly uses that capability.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So Sahara and High Altitude 4xe come with the same 20” wheels. That is odd.

But then Sahara is available in many more colors than Rubicon. Odd again.

Not sure what FCA is trying to do. Perhaps this is their subtle way of saying “you don’t really want to take a 4xe very far from pavement.”
Or Sahara just outsells the Rubicon 3:1

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Or Sahara just outsells the Rubicon 3:1
That doesn’t explain the f-ugly 20” rims, though.

It is almost as if FCA is trying to disuade people from buying a 4xe.

Sponsored

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Sounds like it will not see much offroad time, if I were you I would probably go the sahara route. You can get an 05 LJ like me and have both the Rubicon and Sahara in one jeep...no 4xe though.

Love half doors and top off.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That doesn’t explain the f-ugly 20” rims, though.

It is almost as if FCA is trying to disuade people from buying a 4xe.
I also don't get the 20" rims.

Apparently kids thesedays are into that stuff.

OP
OP
bondijoe

bondijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is more of a beaches / dirt trails / road trip / family convertible vehicle for me (I have three young boys) so Sahara is probably plenty. Have had rear lockers on my Tacoma for the last 14 years and never used them. I was firmly in the Sahara camp until the new full-time 4WD came out on the Rubicon. Since my Tacoma has been paid off for a decade, I can afford to go either route, and the more I read this forum, the more I'm swayed toward a Rubicon, but now half doors are in the mix... And while I'm inclined to wait for the 2022 model year to work out any kinks for the 4xe, I'm thinking Sarge may not be offered much longer.

OP
OP
bondijoe

bondijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, I'm getting the Sky One Touch top and think the half doors look great with it (see 392 concept).

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...And while I'm inclined to wait for the 2022 model year to work out any kinks for the 4xe, I'm thinking Sarge may not be offered much longer.
FCA, and now seemingly Stellantis, do recurringly play reindeer games with certain options being available, or not, at certain times.

For example: my own vehicle order for a 2021 Sport. There are, by my count, at least two additional paint choices currently available that were not evident when I configured my vehicle build last autumn. Remote-proximity keyless entry is something new, too; this choice was previously absent when I was putting my JLU together. And do I need to mention the Dual Door Group? ;)

With the foregoing in mind, it's entirely possible that Sarge may stick around. Or perhaps not. That's the point: these things come and go seemingly without advance notice or reason, during the course of a single model year. Cross your fingers that what you want is still available when you sign your deposit check. đź‘Ť

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
For your situation get the Sahara for sure.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t see driving on the beach on 20” wheels. By the time you air down, you got nothing left.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Also, I'm getting the Sky One Touch top and think the half doors look great with it (see 392 concept).
I've been seriously considering the sky one touch top with half doors as well ($8,000 ouch). I like how you can remove the panels all around quite easily and how you can open the top with the press of a button. The only thing that is bothering me is I would have liked the ability to remove the tailgate window as well. I found a video on YouTube of a guy showing how he did it. Looks possible. Just time consuming.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. Sahara + Half Doors power to

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. Sahara + Half Doors jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-concept-103-1600882765
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. Sahara + Half Doors jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-concept-104-1600882882
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. Sahara + Half Doors jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-concept-105-1600882764

jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-concept-111-1600882766.jpg

OP
OP
bondijoe

bondijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great đź‘Ť Just need a place to store the set of doors not being used....
Sponsored