First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Retired USN and GS
Need a little assistance, in the below pictures how do you remove these "retainer rings" and are they reusable? Can they just be replaced with nut/bolts?
Thanks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Tow Hooks, Steel Bumper?? Tow hook bolt 1A

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Tow Hooks, Steel Bumper?? Tow hook bolt 2A
Sponsored

tma777

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I have never had success removing those retainer rings in a manner I could reuse them, they are used to hold the the hook in during the install process before the nuts are put on. I just use needle nose pliers, grab one of the tabs and twist, the ring will snap off.

OP
OP
SuboneWH

SuboneWH

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Retired USN and GS
I have never had success removing those retainer rings in a manner I could reuse them, they are used to hold the the hook in during the install process before the nuts are put on. I just use needle nose pliers, grab one of the tabs and twist, the ring will snap off.
That's what I figured, these steel bumpers were 392 Rubi take offs bronze hooks, I got at a great price but I want to replace with my red Rubicon tow hooks.
Thanks

tma777

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
That's what I figured, these steel bumpers were 392 Rubi take offs bronze hooks, I got at a great price but I want to replace with my red Rubicon tow hooks.
Thanks
cool! Swap the red ones over and reuse the washers and nuts, then post pics of the new bumpers on your rig when you’re done.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
I’m
Need a little assistance, in the below pictures how do you remove these "retainer rings" and are they reusable? Can they just be replaced with nut/bolts?
Thanks.

Did you buy that bumper from a guy in High Point? If so it’s probably the same guy I got the 392 wheels from lol I bought the gold tow hooks aftermarket since he said he already sold the bumpers.
Anyway you can try to work them off by taking a flat head and and prying up a side then grab with pliers and try to thread it off counter clockwise. It’s easier to cut it with side cutters and get new retaining washers ( or whatever they are called) should have them at an auto parts store or maybe a hardware store.
Share some pics of how you replace these as my Jeep haven’t arrived yet and I’m interested in how to replace the tow hooks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SuboneWH

SuboneWH

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Retired USN and GS
I’m

Did you buy that bumper from a guy in High Point? If so it’s probably the same guy I got the 392 wheels from lol I bought the gold tow hooks aftermarket since he said he already sold the bumpers.
Anyway you can try to work them off by taking a flat head and and prying up a side then grab with pliers and try to thread it off counter clockwise. It’s easier to cut it with side cutters and get new retaining washers ( or whatever they are called) should have them at an auto parts store or maybe a hardware store.
Share some pics of how you replace these as my Jeep haven’t arrived yet and I’m interested in how to replace the tow hooks.
Yes I did as a matter of fact, red 392 nice guy. Will do!

OP
OP
SuboneWH

SuboneWH

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Retired USN and GS
Got the tow hooks off the steel bumper I purchased now just waiting on my Rubi to show up at dealer to swap out for the red ones from the plastic bumper and install steel bumper. Currently Rubi is riding the rails like a hobo in transit.
Thank you all that replied!

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Tow Hooks, Steel Bumper?? image2 (2)

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Tow Hooks, Steel Bumper?? image3 (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Tow Hooks, Steel Bumper?? image0 (2)2

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Tow Hooks, Steel Bumper?? image1 (1)1

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the tow hooks off the steel bumper I purchased now just waiting on my Rubi to show up at dealer to swap out for the red ones from the plastic bumper and install steel bumper. Currently Rubi is riding the rails like a hobo in transit.
Thank you all that replied!

Did you have to remove/disassemble any parts other than the retaining washers from the steel bumper to get them out?

OP
OP
SuboneWH

SuboneWH

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Retired USN and GS
Did you have to remove/disassemble any parts other than the retaining washers from the steel bumper to get them out?
Yes I had to remove the sides of the bumper you remove if you want the stubby look and the torx bolts holding the plate to the bumper that has the fog lights. Once the retainer rings were removed the tow hooks easily lifted out from behind the fog light plate. I will get more pictures soon to show what I did.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I had to remove the sides of the bumper you remove if you want the stubby look and the torx bolts holding the plate to the bumper that has the fog lights. Once the retainer rings were removed the tow hooks easily lifted out from behind the fog light plate. I will get more pictures soon to show what I did.
Did you have to remove the plastic fog light trim covers pieces? I’ll probably go ahead and order some retaining washers, didn’t know if I need those plastic rivets for the plastic trim pieces also. Hard to see what all I need without having my Jeep here lol. Not a big fan of starting a project and needing parts to finish.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Tow Hooks, Steel Bumper?? 2C6AE486-E737-46B8-AA7C-DBA98C36845D

Sponsored

OP
OP
SuboneWH

SuboneWH

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Retired USN and GS
Did you have to remove the plastic fog light trim covers pieces? I’ll probably go ahead and order some retaining washers, didn’t know if I need those plastic rivets for the plastic trim pieces also. Hard to see what all I need without having my Jeep here lol. Not a big fan of starting a project and needing parts to finish.
2C6AE486-E737-46B8-AA7C-DBA98C36845D.jpeg
Edit--Looks like you have steel bumper in picture? If so you just need to remove the bumper end caps (all torx 40 bolts) and remove the torx 40 bolts holding the fog light mounting plate, no need to fully remove it. Once you remove the retainer clips from the tow hooks lift up on the fog light mounting plate and the tow hooks are easily removable.

Mine was a steel bumper that I purchased from a form member that I removed the tow hooks, but I will be removing my plastic bumper and tow hooks off of it when my Rubi is finally at the dealer next week. I plan on posting more pictures of the steel bumper tow hook removal tomorrow and I will post pictures of the plastic bumper tow hook removal sometime next week when I get my Rubi finally home after almost 12 weeks since I ordered.

OP
OP
SuboneWH

SuboneWH

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Retired USN and GS
Hopefully these pics help...super easy to remove tow hooks just a lot of torx bolts and 8 retainer rings per side. I will be happy to answer any questions.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully these pics help...super easy to remove tow hooks just a lot of torx bolts and 8 retainer rings per side. I will be happy to answer any questions.
Yes these help a lot thanks
I’m just glad you don’t have to remove the plastic rivets for the crash-can/fog light covers. I wasn’t sure if there were any bolts in there.

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JL Unlimited Sport S
Do you need to replace the retainer clips? It seems like it would help with installation but don’t the tow hooks bolt to the frame? I’m getting a rubicon bumper and want to use my black tow hooks.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you need to replace the retainer clips? It seems like it would help with installation but don’t the tow hooks bolt to the frame? I’m getting a rubicon bumper and want to use my black tow hooks.
No it is not necessary, I installed my gold set without retainers.
Sponsored