Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds... as long as there's a Jeep around. (Emphasis mine.)

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
No doubt, that was verY NOBLE and "GOOD JEEPIN" of you, but-

Unless it's impossible to swap ends--NEVER DO A RECOVERY USING REVERSE--even if it seems "EASY"--whether stick/auto-

W.E.

JIMBO

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
No doubt, that was verY NOBLE and "GOOD JEEPIN" of you, but-

Unless it's impossible to swap ends--NEVER DO A RECOVERY USING REVERSE--even if it seems "EASY"--whether stick/auto-

W.E.

JIMBO
Good to know, but why is this? Too much load on the engine using the reverse gear?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine made its first rescue today. A Blazer spun out and wound up in the median on a 4 lane state highway. Pulled her right out, no sweat.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Heh Heh, sorry, I didn't mean to compliment you--then chastise your method-but-

I've seen many transmissions--blown(reverse cluster), by trying to do a much heavier recovery than your's, but it's been pretty understood to ALWAYS TRY FOR REAR RECOVERY, using 4LO/1st gear for initial "UNSTICK"--

IN MOST STICKS/AUTO'S THE REVERSE GEAR/CLUSTER IS USUALLY THE MAIN WEAK LINK--

Don't think that jeep put the bumper "HOOKS" on the front, for use in recovering ANOTHER JEEP--they're to recover "YOU" !

Good day

JIMBO

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Heh Heh, sorry, I didn't mean to compliment you--then chastise your method-but-

I've seen many transmissions--blown(reverse cluster), by trying to do a much heavier recovery than your's, but it's been pretty understood to ALWAYS TRY FOR REAR RECOVERY, using 4LO/1st gear for initial "UNSTICK"--

IN MOST STICKS/AUTO'S THE REVERSE GEAR/CLUSTER IS USUALLY THE MAIN WEAK LINK--

Don't think that jeep put the bumper "HOOKS" on the front, for use in recovering ANOTHER JEEP--they're to recover "YOU" !

Good day

JIMBO
Yep, I always use brakes and the winch for a backward pull. Good tip to remember!

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Someone much smarter than me correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can break the teeth on the rear differential. Also, if you use a strap and it snaps, you may have a projectile coming your way.

SandBucket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR; 2017 Subaru Outback; 1999 TJ Sport (traded-in)
All the mail trucks in my town are Jeep Wranglers :)

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
JIMBOX is correct. Reverse gear and differential teeth are much weaker in reverse, so always pull from the back end of the Jeep.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Someone much smarter than me correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can break the teeth on the rear differential. Also, if you use a strap and it snaps, you may have a projectile coming your way.
Pretty sure you are right. I'm not smarter than you, or anybody else, though. Just a parrot repeating what I've read and heard.

Oops. Beaten to the puch!

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Pulling in reverse you are putting a lot of load on the coast sides of the gears. This force will make the gear want to push away and slip

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Well, the rear diif. demise is kinda rare, but the SNAPPING of a recovery stap==does happen A LOT !!

The main criteria for a RECOVERY/SNATCH STRAP is the philosophy that you can TOW with a TOW STRAP and you can "SNATCH/RECOVER" with a RECOVERY STRAP--, although even a RECOVER STRAP can break and then it's "every man for himself" !!

A SNATCH strap should be identified alone and have wrapped loops on each end--usually a TOW STRAP will just have the bare NYLON LOOPS--if in doubt--hook up and do a GENTEL PULL WITH A COUPLE FEET OF EXCESS--the answer is immediate--if you "THUD" stop--IT'S A TOW STRAP--DON'T DO A JERK !

If it reacts like a heavy rubber band--it's a RECOVERY STRAP--forge onward--just make sure the hook-ups are either with "D" Rings, or loops don't encounter SHARP EDGES--which is the case a lot of times with the RED HOOKS on RUBY BUMPERS--

Towing is simple and usually pretty safe, but recovery can be DANGEROUS/DEADLY--KINDA LIKE DRINKING and DRIVING--don't try recovery's when juiced !

Ain't jeepin fun ??

JIMBO

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the rear diif. demise is kinda rare, but the SNAPPING of a recovery stap==does happen A LOT !!

The main criteria for a RECOVERY/SNATCH STRAP is the philosophy that you can TOW with a TOW STRAP and you can "SNATCH/RECOVER" with a RECOVERY STRAP--, although even a RECOVER STRAP can break and then it's "every man for himself" !!

A SNATCH strap should be identified alone and have wrapped loops on each end--usually a TOW STRAP will just have the bare NYLON LOOPS--if in doubt--hook up and do a GENTEL PULL WITH A COUPLE FEET OF EXCESS--the answer is immediate--if you "THUD" stop--IT'S A TOW STRAP--DON'T DO A JERK !

If it reacts like a heavy rubber band--it's a RECOVERY STRAP--forge onward--just make sure the hook-ups are either with "D" Rings, or loops don't encounter SHARP EDGES--which is the case a lot of times with the RED HOOKS on RUBY BUMPERS--

Towing is simple and usually pretty safe, but recovery can be DANGEROUS/DEADLY--KINDA LIKE DRINKING and DRIVING--don't try recovery's when juiced !

Ain't jeepin fun ??

JIMBO
You're a wealth of knowledge, sir. Thank you for the education.
Sponsored