Sponsored

Rubicon to Sport Axle Swap (Front and Rear)

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Honestly I did wonder about the drag link. I don't have these problems because I have more money than I know what to do with so I have the Steer Smarts components because I'm rich.
Hey fatty McDuck, poor-ish dude over here. Toss my a couple thousand for the rubi axel swap. I’ll buy you a couple beers and hang out.
Sponsored

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
Yep. Just a simple 2 wire (hot and ground) setup.

RE: Steering. I HIGHLY recommend the Rusty's Off-Road HD steering upgrade!!
On the steering, why do you recommend that?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
That is actually a replacement switch, the cubby needs to be replaced unless you have the aux switches. I added the aux switches and the cubby is half sized. Unsure how the switch fits in. I have been looking to add the disconnect switch “kit” but it is unavailable. Looking for a wrecked JLUR to buy and take parts from.
You're right you must have the AUX so that it’ll fit, the question is though, would it work? What would it require to work aside from a flash?

Im assuming it would work just fine and dandy with the axles installed as well as the sway disconnect and motor along with a dealer flash. At that point really why wouldn’t it work right?

I am very surprised someone hasn’t done this yet.

But then again I’m also surprised that Tazer or the like hasn’t tapped into this module yet so that people don’t have to keep switching to the AUX switches when they want to lock up outside of 4L.. Would be nice for current JLUR owners (and sport owners w/axle swaps) so they could not have to use up their AUX switches.. Someone figure it out #Tazar

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
You're right you must have the AUX so that it’ll fit, the question is though, would it work? What would it require to work aside from a flash?

Im assuming it would work just fine and dandy with the axles installed as well as the sway disconnect and motor along with a dealer flash. At that point really why wouldn’t it work right?

I am very surprised someone hasn’t done this yet.

But then again I’m also surprised that Tazer or the like hasn’t tapped into this module yet so that people don’t have to keep switching to the AUX switches when they want to lock up outside of 4L.. Would be nice for current JLUR owners (and sport owners w/axle swaps) so they could not have to use up their AUX switches.. Someone figure it out #Tazar
My question is this. The rubicon switches; do they replace the half cubby hole? also they should offer a different color. Metallic blue, metallic green, metallic orange, or chrome. I really want that switch. Would I be able to power my current axels or is that only for axels that have a “power module” on it? I use my half cubby to place my phone when I am in 4H Auto. Functions just like AWD. Only put it in that on the rainy days for better traction.

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I might have missed it but what about the drive shafts? We're getting ready to swap out a M200 rear for the M220. I didn't see on either build what was in the rigs to start, M200 or M220. Can the M200 DS be used with the M220?

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
@mg
I might have missed it but what about the drive shafts? We're getting ready to swap out a M200 rear for the M220. I didn't see on either build what was in the rigs to start, M200 or M220. Can the M200 DS be used with the M220?
Drive shafts are the same.

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
The link above is to my build thread...Swapped in rubi axles/brakes on a jlu sport in Dec 2018...The FAD is a non issue and rubi axles bolt right up. You do need a rubi jl length tie rod bc the axles are wider. However, you don't use a longer draglink for the rubi axles as was posted above...your sport draglink has the same specs as the rubi draglink and works great. I used my sport draglink with rubi axles for 20k miles and also used the sport brake lines to connect to rubi brakes. PM if you have questions
I sent you a PM regarding the brakes. The sport brake lines are quite different than the Rubicon calipers.

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I hear ya, I went rouge and obnoxious but easy to reach and don't have to take my eyes off the trail

20200129_170821.jpg
Where did you get the mount (and switches). I may end up doing this since I am not finding a good place for a switch. I am not paying $300 for the Mopar Aux Switch panel.

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I sent you a PM regarding the brakes. The sport brake lines are quite different than the Rubicon calipers.
The M220 axle we are installing is not a Rubicon but a sport version that with have an ARB. Does the sport M220 share brakes with a Rubicon M220?

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The M220 axle we are installing is not a Rubicon but a sport version that with have an ARB. Does the sport M220 share brakes with a Rubicon M220?
No I had the M220 rear axle on my sport as it had the "upgrade" with he limited slip and the rear brakes were different (bigger) on the Rubicon axle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Well, both axles are in. Still trying to solve the locker switch problem, there isn't anywhere to put them.

For those that may be interested. The front brakes can be used off of a sport on the Rubi front axle. The rotors are the same diameter but the Rubi rotors are thicker. Also the calipers are beefier. On the rear axle, the sport brakes cannot be used on the Rubi axle. You must swap over the rotors and calipers. The rotors on the Rubi rear are much thicker and larger diameter than the sport.

I appreciate the help from the guys in this thread and forum. It made it easier, especially with the brake lines. Thank you!

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Lockers are all wired up and this job is complete. Ended up spending the money and getting a VOSwitch. Makes adding accessories plug n play.

24CF4165-334D-4840-9ADD-AB09A0FB1667.jpeg

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Just wondering what you ended up doing about the brake lines?

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Just wondering what you ended up doing about the brake lines?
on the rear I used the Rubicon brakes they don’t require any modification. On the front for the time being I am using my sport brakes, however I think I’m going to switch them over to the Rubicon brakes and just bend the lines.

Stolar13

First Name
Łukasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S 3,6 - 2dr
I just did the swap a week ago. Did the whole thing in a day. Straight forward install. The only thing Rubicon specific you need is the tie rod. While you don't HAVE to do it, I did go ahead and upgrade to the Rubicon brake setup as well.

IMG_6228.JPG

IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_4331.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_3948 2.JPG

IMG_6309.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG
Hello
I have the question about connecting FAD in front axle. My mechanic cut the wire and connector from Sport axle but I have connector and wire from rubicon axle. I Sold sport axle and I try to Connect, but I Don’t know Which wire I need to connect. Color is diffrent. For what there is 4 wire. When I have the unconnect I have bugs like ESP, 4wd service, speedometer doesn’t work. I find rubicon wire diagram but I can not find Theis diagram for sport axle/FAD. additional I can write that Rubicon axles are from European Jeep Diesel.
Sponsored