Sponsored

Rubicon to Sport Axle Swap (Front and Rear)

OP
OP
Jeepā€™n Jay

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I'm sure he could but the AUX seemed like a simpler solution . We went the AUX route because for that price it does the same thing, is easy for the dealer to add it in to the computer and then you still have a couple of switches available. Plus we control the switches and can use lockers whenever we want... i.e. don't need to be in 4 wheel drive if we want to play around.
I am not concerned with wiring or switches. That is the easy part imo. On my JK I kept the wiring complete independent of the Jeep harness. I plan to do the same with the JL.
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I would assume the dealership could flash it to work but then again Iā€™m sure youā€™d have to have the sway bar disconnect motor and all of that plugged in as well as thatā€™s part of the switch unless you run it inert. Either way it sounds like AUX is the easiest way but I was thinking if I were to do it Iā€™d hate to have to use up my AUX switches as stuff is already on them lol
Man we canā€™t even get the Dealer to help us get the LEDā€™s and DRLā€™s working, I can imagine the look on their face if we asked them to enable the Rubi locker switch! LOL

Gregj

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Even if they flashed it and it worked, it would throw codes and disable itself because the harnesses lack the extra wiring for the locker sensors. You would have to get the OEM rubicon wiring harness and then flash it, and then itā€™s still a big ā€œmaybeā€.
I tried this...the rubicon wiring harness is expensive and wasnt worth it....plus I like being able to use lockers whenever I want via aux switches.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Man we canā€™t even get the Dealer to help us get the LEDā€™s and DRLā€™s working, I can imagine the look on their face if we asked them to enable the Rubi locker switch! LOL

Gregj
lol

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I am not concerned with wiring or switches. That is the easy part imo. On my JK I kept the wiring complete independent of the Jeep harness. I plan to do the same with the JL.
Exactly! Everytime this subject comes people start talking about dealers, harnesses and programming. It's no more difficult than hooking up a light bar (which they should already be an expert at "lights before lockers" right? )

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly! Everytime this subject comes people start talking about dealers, harnesses and programming. It's no more difficult than hooking up a light bar (which they should already be an expert at "lights before lockers" right? )
You are correct but the problem we came up against was where to put those switches. There was literally no room behind the dash anywhere we wanted to put a switch. Granted we could have found a place somewhere obscure and not so easy to reach but we wanted a spot that was logical and easy to hit. At the time our only real options were the AUX switches or a POD which the Mrs. wasn't too fond of. We went with the AUX switches and you have to get the dealer to flash those in.
Gone are the days of the TJ/LJ where they actually left you a spot below the radio to put switches in if you didn't have factory lockers.

OP
OP
Jeepā€™n Jay

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thanks for all the input. Picking up the axles tomorrow. Going to order some other parts and hopefully get these installed in next 2 weeks so I have some room before EJS.

OP
OP
Jeepā€™n Jay

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Picked up the axles today, he left the tir rod on for me which was great now I donā€™t have to spend the 400 right now on a synergy. All as I can say is that front axle is DAMN heavy.

OP
OP
Jeepā€™n Jay

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
We did this on my wife's Sahara and it's really plug and play. You will also need the tie rod and drag link off of a Rubi (Or get the Steer Smarts ones but make sure to get the Rubi version). The reason is the axle is wider than your Sport one. There will be no issues with the FAD since you will simply plug your FAD harness into it, they are identical plugs.
You will need to pick up a set of the Mopar AUX switches and use them to control the lockers. Good luck trying to put a traditional after market locker switch anywhere on that dashboard. There is zero space behind those dash panels in any of the locations where you would want a switch to comfortably be.
You don't need to do anything with the brake lines or brackets that hold the lines. Hopefully you are picking up the Rubi calipers with those axles since they are way beefier than the Sport ones. The Sahara's and Rubis share the same front calipers.
The link posted above is to Matt's write up, he's a good guy and can also answer any questions. Feel free to PM me for my cell number if you want to discuss further.
When you did this with the Sahara, did you purchase the Mopar wiring harness for the e-locker? ($70ish)

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
When you did this with the Sahara, did you purchase the Mopar wiring harness for the e-locker? ($70ish)
Yep, that's exactly what we did. There is really no other option, I even called Dana/Spycer and they said since those axles are for the Jeep you they don't even have a harness for them.

myerides

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Operations Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I just did the swap a week ago. Did the whole thing in a day. Straight forward install. The only thing Rubicon specific you need is the tie rod. While you don't HAVE to do it, I did go ahead and upgrade to the Rubicon brake setup as well.

IMG_6228.JPG

IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_4331.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_3948 2.JPG

IMG_6309.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

OP
OP
Jeepā€™n Jay

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Awesome! The seller left the tie rod on so I am going to use it for now. I will eventually upgrade to synergy. Did you order the OEM wire harness for the lockers (runs about $70 x 2)? Also you have the same bumper as me Rugged Ridge.

I just did the swap a week ago. Did the whole thing in a day. Straight forward install. The only thing Rubicon specific you need is the tie rod. While you don't HAVE to do it, I did go ahead and upgrade to the Rubicon brake setup as well.

myerides

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Operations Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! The seller left the tie rod on so I am going to use it for now. I will eventually upgrade to synergy. Did you order the OEM wire harness for the lockers (runs about $70 x 2)? Also you have the same bumper as me Rugged Ridge.

Yep. Just a simple 2 wire (hot and ground) setup.

RE: Steering. I HIGHLY recommend the Rusty's Off-Road HD steering upgrade!!

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Valid question: Can he not just buy the stock Rubi switch for the dash? Or would that not work? They sell is online from what Iā€™ve seen.
That is actually a replacement switch, the cubby needs to be replaced unless you have the aux switches. I added the aux switches and the cubby is half sized. Unsure how the switch fits in. I have been looking to add the disconnect switch ā€œkitā€ but it is unavailable. Looking for a wrecked JLUR to buy and take parts from.
Sponsored