Sponsored

Rubicon to Sport Axle Swap (Front and Rear)

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Good morning -

I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of Rubicon take offs to put on my sport. I did this same thing when I had my JK and it worked great!

I am not worried about wiring the e-lockers, that is the easy part. At least is was on my JK, I assume it will be the same.

The axles will bolt right up is my understanding. However, my concern is the FAD. I know NOTHING about it other than it disconnects when I am in 2WD? Will this pose any issues with the axle swap? Is there anything else to be aware of?

TIA!
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Good morning -

I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of Rubicon take offs to put on my sport. I did this same thing when I had my JK and it worked great!

I am not worried about wiring the e-lockers, that is the easy part. At least is was on my JK, I assume it will be the same.

The axles will bolt right up is my understanding. However, my concern is the FAD. I know NOTHING about it other than it disconnects when I am in 2WD? Will this pose any issues with the axle swap? Is there anything else to be aware of?

TIA!
i heard you will need brake line extension mounts or longer lines due to the axle being 3/4" longer each way. i haven't heard of anyone talking about the FAD there is a good forum page where a guy did this and listed all the parts and everything needed. did a great write up so to speak. ill post it below
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rt-s-full-d44-swap.19973/page-10#post-1026336

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
The FAD should be plug and play as it is standard across the JL line. Both the Dana 30 and the 44 have them.

Gregj

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning -

TIA!
We did this on my wife's Sahara and it's really plug and play. You will also need the tie rod and drag link off of a Rubi (Or get the Steer Smarts ones but make sure to get the Rubi version). The reason is the axle is wider than your Sport one. There will be no issues with the FAD since you will simply plug your FAD harness into it, they are identical plugs.
You will need to pick up a set of the Mopar AUX switches and use them to control the lockers. Good luck trying to put a traditional after market locker switch anywhere on that dashboard. There is zero space behind those dash panels in any of the locations where you would want a switch to comfortably be.
You don't need to do anything with the brake lines or brackets that hold the lines. Hopefully you are picking up the Rubi calipers with those axles since they are way beefier than the Sport ones. The Sahara's and Rubis share the same front calipers.
The link posted above is to Matt's write up, he's a good guy and can also answer any questions. Feel free to PM me for my cell number if you want to discuss further.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Good morning -

TIA!
The link above is to my build thread...Swapped in rubi axles/brakes on a jlu sport in Dec 2018...The FAD is a non issue and rubi axles bolt right up. You do need a rubi jl length tie rod bc the axles are wider. However, you don't use a longer draglink for the rubi axles as was posted above...your sport draglink has the same specs as the rubi draglink and works great. I used my sport draglink with rubi axles for 20k miles and also used the sport brake lines to connect to rubi brakes. PM if you have questions

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The link above is to my build thread...Swapped in rubi axles/brakes on a jlu sport in Dec 2018...The FAD is a non issue and rubi axles bolt right up. You do need a rubi jl length tie rod bc the axles are wider. However, you don't use a longer draglink for the rubi axles as was posted above...your sport draglink has the same specs as the rubi draglink and works great. I used my sport draglink with rubi axles for 20k miles and also used the sport brake lines to connect to rubi brakes. PM if you have questions
Whatever Matt, you think you're so smart.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You will need to pick up a set of the Mopar AUX switches and use them to control the lockers. Good luck trying to put a traditional after market locker switch anywhere on that dashboard. There is zero space behind those dash panels in any of the locations where you would want a switch to comfortably be.
Valid question: Can he not just buy the stock Rubi switch for the dash? Or would that not work? They sell is online from what I’ve seen.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Valid question: Can he not just buy the stock Rubi switch for the dash? Or would that not work? They sell is online from what I’ve seen.
I'm sure he could but the AUX seemed like a simpler solution . We went the AUX route because for that price it does the same thing, is easy for the dealer to add it in to the computer and then you still have a couple of switches available. Plus we control the switches and can use lockers whenever we want... i.e. don't need to be in 4 wheel drive if we want to play around.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
The only way I figured it would be able to work is with a custom logic board which you would need to program yourself. It will not plug and play.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
:CWL: Just trying to save the man from buying a draglink.:dance:
Honestly I did wonder about the drag link. I don't have these problems because I have more money than I know what to do with so I have the Steer Smarts components because I'm rich.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The only way I figured it would be able to work is with a custom logic board which you would need to program yourself. It will not plug and play.
I'm sure he could but the AUX seemed like a simpler solution . We went the AUX route because for that price it does the same thing, is easy for the dealer to add it in to the computer and then you still have a couple of switches available. Plus we control the switches and can use lockers whenever we want... i.e. don't need to be in 4 wheel drive if we want to play around.
I would assume the dealership could flash it to work but then again I’m sure you’d have to have the sway bar disconnect motor and all of that plugged in as well as that’s part of the switch unless you run it inert. Either way it sounds like AUX is the easiest way but I was thinking if I were to do it I’d hate to have to use up my AUX switches as stuff is already on them lol

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I would assume the dealership could flash it to work but then again I’m sure you’d have to have the sway bar disconnect motor and all of that plugged in as well as that’s part of the switch unless you run it inert. Either way it sounds like AUX is the easiest way but I was thinking if I were to do it I’d hate to have to use up my AUX switches as stuff is already on them lol
Even if they flashed it and it worked, it would throw codes and disable itself because the harnesses lack the extra wiring for the locker sensors. You would have to get the OEM rubicon wiring harness and then flash it, and then it’s still a big “maybe”.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Even if they flashed it and it worked, it would throw codes and disable itself because the harnesses lack the extra wiring for the locker sensors. You would have to get the OEM rubicon wiring harness and then flash it, and then it’s still a big “maybe”.
No ballz this guy should try it lol

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Great, appreciate that! I think this may be a good time (excuse) to upgrade to the synergy front end......
Sponsored