Rubicon Tire off-road pressure

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
So I just put some new Rubi tires and wheels on my JLU Altitude. I plan on taking it off-road tomorrow on a mostly rocky trail out in Colorado, moderate nothing major. What should I drop the tire pressure to? Two weeks ago I took my street Bridgestone Duelers up there and was afraid one of my tires were going to pop. Never dropped he pressure though.

Thanks in advance

EE6DE9E1-2F46-43A5-8AF9-30DF968F3A57.jpeg

B0670319-1CF7-4BD9-8C43-7364DC800CA9.jpeg
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I run mine at 15psi.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So I just put some new Rubi tires and wheels on my JLU Altitude. I plan on taking it off-road tomorrow on a mostly rocky trail out in Colorado, moderate nothing major. What should I drop the tire pressure to? Two weeks ago I took my street Bridgestone Duelers up there and was afraid one of my tires were going to pop. Never dropped he pressure though.

Thanks in advance

If the trail is like the first picture then 23-26 should do just fine.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I just came back from a week in Colorado. I run my tire pressure at 12 pounds, This will smooth out the ride and help you wheel better. The softer tire will flex over rocks instead of lifting the Jeep up on top of the rocks. This will also decrease the chance of getting a flat. The tire will flex around a sharp edged and give instead of allowing the rock or object to punch a hole into the tire. Or at least greatly decrease the chance of it happening. Do not underestimate how much a soft tire will smooth out the ride on the trail. This will save you and your Jeep from being beat up.

This is what you are looking for.. See how the tire is flexing around the rock instead of trying to lift the Jeep up onto of the rock.

EIqnEAi8lZwWDtwTJQ1BWTelrcDCIalIl9CUInrJC5DAnTpZLnTFOLCcFwJmI_gHwC69vUtYJTAGE2FniQ=w1010-h757-no.jpg

With beadlocks, I could have gone down to 3 to 6 pounds with no worries, but I knew that I would be putting on miles between trail locations on blacktop roads, so 12 pounds was a nice balance between on and off road.

OP
OP
jason0341

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I wound up running 20psi and it was fine. Thanks for the advice

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IF you though 20 psi was good, try 12 pounds or at least 15 pounds for off road. You will be suprised how much better it is around 12 or 15 psi.

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
this ^^^^^

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I just came back from a week in Colorado. I run my tire pressure at 12 pounds, This will smooth out the ride and help you wheel better. The softer tire will flex over rocks instead of lifting the Jeep up on top of the rocks. This will also decrease the chance of getting a flat. The tire will flex around a sharp edged and give instead of allowing the rock or object to punch a hole into the tire. Or at least greatly decrease the chance of it happening. Do not underestimate how much a soft tire will smooth out the ride on the trail. This will save you and your Jeep from being beat up.

This is what you are looking for.. See how the tire is flexing around the rock instead of trying to lift the Jeep up onto of the rock.

EIqnEAi8lZwWDtwTJQ1BWTelrcDCIalIl9CUInrJC5DAnTpZLnTFOLCcFwJmI_gHwC69vUtYJTAGE2FniQ=w1010-h757-no.jpg

With beadlocks, I could have gone down to 3 to 6 pounds with no worries, but I knew that I would be putting on miles between trail locations on blacktop roads, so 12 pounds was a nice balance between on and off road.
Many people run 12 psi wheelin with non beadlocks without popping a bead. If you're gonna pay extra to run heavy beadlocks, why not utilize the added capability and run 6-8 psi?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Thanks in advance

15 psi is great for non beadlocks...I ran them as low as 12 psi.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Many people run 12 psi wheelin with non beadlocks without popping a bead. If you're gonna pay extra to run heavy beadlocks, why not utilize the added capability and run 6-8 psi?

You did not read my whole post.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
As soon as we hit asphalt we always air right back up. Since at 18 or less the OEM KO2s feel too squishy and sluggish.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just a word of caution, cause I did it to a couple different sets of tires until I learned what was going on; you will end up getting uneven wear and feathering across the tread from running low pressure on the street. If you are going to be going the speed limit then you should air up. Yes it can be a pain in the rear, but I like my tires enough to spend a few more minutes airing up.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Just a word of caution, cause I did it to a couple different sets of tires until I learned what was going on; you will end up getting uneven wear and feathering across the tread from running low pressure on the street. If you are going to be going the speed limit then you should air up. Yes it can be a pain in the rear, but I like my tires enough to spend a few more minutes airing up.

From Ouray to Engineer pass, Black Bear pass, Imogene pass are only a few miles on the blacktop roads. So we were aired down for about 5 days. We are talking speeds about 30 mph or less. I was not running 60 mph for 50 miles. I understand the difference.

Chris4x4

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU
Air pressure on a trial is dictated by the type of terrain you are running. You want single digit pressure for sand, and the softer the sand, the lower you go. If you are on a sandstone trail, you don't need to go as low as you would in a cobble, or granite trail. Also, this depends on the tires you are running. A tire with a stiffer sidewall might need a lower pressure than one with a softer sidewall. The point of airing down is floatation and traction. The pressure you run on the trial you are running, is going to be different than the pressure someone else is running on a trail across the country. Pressure will be different on the same trail with different tires. If you are new, use caution when airing down, as the softer tire, due to lower pressure, can lead to popping the tire off the rim if you turn too quickly (mostly an issue when single digit PSI is run), or you can pop a bead on rocks. Get an OBA system, and experiment with what gives you the best results. Happy Wheeling! :)
Sponsored