JL2000

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jetta, 1986 Pulsar NX, 1987 Corvette, 2021 JL
Hey guys,

I am planning to install a set of JLUR springs/shocks on my 2 door sport. I am toying around the idea of doing it myself instead of taking it to a garage but I just want to be sure I know what I am getting into before hand.
From what I have read it should go roughly like this:

Lift Jeep by pumpkin, place jack stands on frame.

Remove shocks and disconnect sway bar links and any brake line brackets that may be in the way.

Lower axle and Springs should easily come out

Fit new springs in

Raise axle and connect sway bar links and install new shocks

Repeat for 2nd axle

Is this accurate or am I missing something? Any tips to make things go easier or things to watch out for? This will be my first time replacing springs and doing it on a new vehicle has me a little apprehensive LOL.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

I am planning to install a set of JLUR springs/shocks on my 2 door sport. I am toying around the idea of doing it myself instead of taking it to a garage but I just want to be sure I know what I am getting into before hand.

Remove shocks and disconnect sway bar links and any brake line brackets that may be in the way.

Fit new springs in

Repeat for 2nd axle

Is this accurate or am I missing something? Any tips to make things go easier or things to watch out for? This will be my first time replacing springs and doing it on a new vehicle has me a little apprehensive LOL.

You got it, just that simple. And if you get longer lcas just make sure you do one at a time remove and replace, always have one side connected.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Hey guys,

Fit new springs in

Repeat for 2nd axle

Loosen track bars.
Loosen all control arm bolts.
Retorque it all at the end. You need a breaker bar for this.
Be prepared to adjust drag link to re-center steering when done.
Also, you might find it easier to do springs one side at a time. It makes it easier to get the clearance you need. Be sure they’re indexed properly. Vice grips help up top to hold the isolator in place by the nubs that stick through the metal seat.
All done pretty easy, and you’ll be proud!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hey guys,

Fit new springs in

Repeat for 2nd axle

* On the front you may need to jack side by side depending on how high your jack goes, the front pumpkin is offset to the driver side so it will raise higher than the passenger side jacking at the pumpkin. Rear the pumpkin is centered so it will go up evenly. Remove wheels/tires.

*May need to disconnect the FAD and pop the christmas trees on the axle.
*Depending on bushing bind, you may need to loosen the control arm bolts and the track bar axle bolt

Fit new springs in
*Make sure the top isolator nubs are in the holes and the bottom "tail" of the spring hits the stop in the lower isolator

Raise axle and connect sway bar links and install new shocks.
*Youll want to slowly raise the axle and put the shock bolts through when you get it to the full shock extension height.

Repeat for 2nd axle

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
for my JLUR normal automotive jack stands weren't tall enough. I've heard the tall RV style jacks work, but I made blocks to raise my jackstands up about 10 inches. Then I found my floor jack didn't have enough lift so I made another block to put under a bottle jack. I still ended up needing to make a couple runs to an auto parts store (torque wrench, and specific sized socket). If you do it, I'd recommend you have access to another vehicle until you're done.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
for my JLUR normal automotive jack stands weren't tall enough. I've heard the tall RV style jacks work, but I made blocks to raise my jackstands up about 10 inches. Then I found my floor jack didn't have enough lift so I made another block to put under a bottle jack. I still ended up needing to make a couple runs to an auto parts store (torque wrench, and specific sized socket). If you do it, I'd recommend you have access to another vehicle until you're done.
6 Tons stands worked well on mine, best value I found was these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074R17GL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of 18mm socket and wrench. IIRC control arms bolts are 21mm, if you don't have a big enough wrench for the nut, you can use an adjustible wrench.

You'll probably want an impact or breaker bar for the control arm bolts, they're on at 190 ft lbs, and you need to get them back there.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Yeah I broke my 20 something Craftsman torque wrench and I'm pretty sure I cracked a tooth tightening those LCA bolts.

OP
OP

JL2000

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jetta, 1986 Pulsar NX, 1987 Corvette, 2021 JL
Thanks everybody who has commented so far. Loosening the LCA was something that hadn’t crossed my mind and thanks for the torque spec.

I was planning on attacking this with all hand tools but this may be my excuse to finally get a compressor and impact!

I also have 3 and 6 ton jack stands, harbor freight daytona long reach low profile jack that I would hope is high enough lift (25 inch if I remember correctly), and I do have 2 other vehicles so I should be covered there.

Xavier613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Thanks everybody who has commented so far. Loosening the LCA was something that hadn’t crossed my mind and thanks for the torque spec.

I was planning on attacking this with all hand tools but this may be my excuse to finally get a compressor and impact!

I also have 3 and 6 ton jack stands, harbor freight daytona long reach low profile jack that I would hope is high enough lift (25 inch if I remember correctly), and I do have 2 other vehicles so I should be covered there.
I just used the same jack to do my lift a few weeks ago, it is high enough. Front is a pain and youll need to max it out to get the passenger side high enough though.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

I much prefer using cordless impacts instead of breaking out the compressor. If you already have a decent 18V+ drill or combo kit, just get the matching 1/2" impact bare tool and use the battery you have.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I used 3 ton jack and stands from Home Depot for my 3.5” lift. Worst case just might need some critical thinking skills to get the right corner up, I doubt it though.
Honestly the impact is only helpful loosening bolts and removing/installing tires. You’ll have to hand torque the suspension bolts to go back on.

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
Loosen track bars.
Loosen all control arm bolts.
Retorque it all at the end. You need a breaker bar for this.
Be prepared to adjust drag link to re-center steering when done.
Also, you might find it easier to do springs one side at a time. It makes it easier to get the clearance you need. Be sure they’re indexed properly. Vice grips help up top to hold the isolator in place by the nubs that stick through the metal seat.
All done pretty easy, and you’ll be proud!
On my sons old JLU S we didnt even have to do all that. Hell it took longer to install the OEM steel rear bumper than it did to install the Rubicon suspension.

II think we dumped both springs at the same time(one each axle), but you may have to jack up the opposit side to get the room to install the new spring.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
On my sons old JLU S we didnt even have to do all that. Hell it took longer to install the OEM steel rear bumper than it did to install the Rubicon suspension.

II think we dumped both springs at the same time(one each axle), but you may have to jack up the opposit side to get the room to install the new spring.
It's probably not necessary to loosen and re-torque, you're right.

I figure with all the torquing issues people have leading to DW, this is a good time to make sure it's all done right. My track bars were barely holding on from the factory, same with my balljoints. Not a common occurrence, but easy way to be sure this doesn't become you.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!