BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Hey All,

I know this is a common topic and I've searched the forums, but wanted to discuss further.

This morning I installed shocks and springs that my buddy gave me from his Rubicon. I have a JLU Sport.

The ride is obviously very stiff. But stiff to the point where some things on the interior are borderline vibrating like an old car.

Now, the shocks and springs were taken off his rig well over a year ago and have been sitting around. I doubt that's an issue but wanted to see if anyone thinks that the shocks might not be in the best operating condition.

More importantly, I wanted to see if OEM Rubicon owners also feel that it's normal to feel every lobe of tread on their tires . Are they really this tight from the factory?

By the way I run my tires at 36 Psi. Obviously I air down when I hit the trails.

I'm planning to move from the 31's up to 35's so I'm hoping I can run those at a lower pressure to achieve a slightly more normal feel again.

Although I'll probably have to add a Taser to the shopping list to avoid the air pressure complaint from the computer.

Thanks for any feedback!

Brian
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The first thing that comes to mind is the part number of the springs (based on his options like hardtop, steel bumpers, tow group, engine, Etorque) which seem to be based on the load that Rubicon will see carried and the distribution of it. That and what your part numbers were based on how your Sport came equipped. The smaller diameter tires might be a small factor too.

As to the shocks, those alone will give a 1/2” lift someone here said. It’s odd they did that but telling and likely based on my personal experience with swapping shocks. Higher pressure gas charged shocks (less aeration) vs lower pressure or hydraulic shocks for example. IOW, likely a firmer ride all else equal.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJG

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
The ride is obviously very stiff. But stiff to the point where some things on the interior are borderline vibrating like an old car.

More importantly, I wanted to see if OEM Rubicon owners also feel that it's normal to feel every lobe of tread on their tires . Are they really this tight from the factory?

Thanks for any feedback!

Brian
We go 37psi on-road as per door panel specified and the ride is firm. 18psi FSR and single track rock crawling and the ride is fairly soft. Using Rubicon rims and 33” KO2s all with the OEM stock suspension.

Can drop down to 32psi for more compliance if you want - but find the firm ride to be perfectly acceptable on-road. Steering is tight and responsive with near zero play. When aired down to 18 - the shocks etc absorb deep washboard ruts and potholes like they are not there. Plus ride becomes amazingly smooth with no body rattles or suspension harshness. Effectively the Rubicon just floats right over at speed like nothing. 100% bomber.

So in this way am very hesitant to switch up to 34s or 35s. Or load range D or E. Only con is the softer compound KO2s are wearing down a tad faster than we would like.

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I made this switch and didn't notice much difference in the ride. Certainly not like you are describing.

OP
OP
BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
The first thing that comes to mind is the part number of the springs (based on his options like hardtop, steel bumpers, tow group, engine, Etorque) which seem to be based on the load that Rubicon will see carried and the distribution of it. That and what your part numbers were based on how your Sport came equipped. The smaller diameter tires might be a small factor too.

As to the shocks, those alone will give a 1/2” lift someone here said. It’s odd they did that but telling and likely based on my personal experience with swapping shocks. Higher pressure gas charged shocks (less aeration) vs lower pressure or hydraulic shocks for example. IOW, likely a firmer ride all else equal.

Below is a spreadsheet showing all of my before and after data including part numbers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tx-q5NKtV9NO63_fBBTFHXUfDOc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Below is a spreadsheet showing all of my before and after data including part numbers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tx-q5NKtV9NO63_fBBTFHXUfDOc/edit?usp=drivesdk
62’s are the firmest spring available up front and there is one on the passenger front. I’ve seen it but it’s usually the case where the two fronts are 1 number apart, IE 61/62, and yours is 60/62. You’re going up 3 & 4 numbers up front and 2 numbers out back and if you didn’t add steel bumpers, winch, more weight all around to your Jeep, it’ll ride more roughly. I’d bet you got a nice lift out of those springs up front especially. If you’re stock, I’d see how it is after adding mods.

OP
OP
BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
62’s are the firmest spring available up front and there is one on the passenger front. I’ve seen it but it’s usually the case where the two fronts are 1 number apart, IE 61/62, and yours is 60/62. You’re going up 3 & 4 numbers up front and 2 numbers out back and if you didn’t add steel bumpers, winch, more weight all around to your Jeep, it’ll ride more roughly. I’d bet you got a nice lift out of those springs up front especially. If you’re stock, I’d see how it is after adding mods.

Yeah I found it to be odd that his Rubicon came with those up front with the gap from 60 to 62. I wonder what type of options cause the gap from left to right up front.

I suppose I got myself some free wiggle room for mods.

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
I just did this conversion. 61/62 front 90/91 rear springs 209/210 shocks. Plus .75 daystar lift spacers and mopar lift front lower control arms. I still have my stock rims and dueler tires set at 35 psi. This netted 2 1/2 front and 2 inch rear lift. Yes a firmer ride but still comfortable. I think it was a Very positive change in ride feel and handling. It seems to soak up cracks, ruts and potholes better. Tom

OP
OP
BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I just did this conversion. 61/62 front 90/91 rear springs 209/210 shocks. Plus .75 daystar lift spacers and mopar lift front lower control arms. I still have my stock rims and dueler tires set at 35 psi. This netted 2 1/2 front and 2 inch rear lift. Yes a firmer ride but still comfortable. I think it was a Very positive change in ride feel and handling. It seems to soak up cracks, ruts and potholes better. Tom

I dropped my tire pressure a bit yesterday and it's more reasonable. I agree that the LCA's seemed to make a big difference. The steering is surprisingly way more responsive.

We have the exact same before and after setup, including the dueler tires. Although my spacers are 0.50". I ordered 315/70R17 wheels and Patagonia tires yesterday. Super excited to complete this part of the build.
Sponsored