Sponsored

Rubicon suspension with RC level kit on JL sport

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
My JLU sport with rubicon suspension(no RC .75 inch level kit)
HI, did your aluminum rims come painted Black from the factory, or did you have them painted?

I like the Black rims w/the Blue.

Thanks!
Sponsored

namodei

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Sales Engineer
We added the Rubicon suspension on our Sport but I bailed on the .75" leveler. I'm glad I did. The JL doesn't need it.
5KWtIvsmWRITarKVkzY5REDQn92Pjj5yWvcj2Dq_oGmQyvuDPC0cDdeLHz9a-fMKY-UCpLnb-CqaRfl1Q=w1356-h1016-no.jpg
How is your ride with that set up? I picked up a Rubicon suspension complete, I was thinking of adding the teraflex .5 spacers as well.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
How is your ride with that set up? I picked up a Rubicon suspension complete, I was thinking of adding the teraflex .5 spacers as well.
The Rubicon shocks and springs* are stiffer but also more compliant. On forest roads the ride is excellent. We had no complaints with our Sport ride but the Rubicon shocks are definitely a step up. Tony's Jeep looks great but I'm glad we didn't go with the spacers. That's a tough call to make unless your doing your own install.

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon take off springs + Teraflex ST1 with Falcon shocks. All together gained 2.5" front and 2" rear. A set of 285/75R17 should fit perfectly. Ride is stiff but compliant on road. I expected the stiffer ride before the swap so it's acceptable in my opinion. Haven't tried off road yet but should be great too.

IMG_20190223_172841.jpg

IMG_20190223_172700.jpg

IMG_20190225_173427.jpg

Coach22

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Did my swap from Sport to Rubicon Suspension today, also added a RC .75 level kit

Results
Left front - 2.5 inches
Right front - 2 1/4 inch
Left rear - 2 inches
Right rear - 2 1/4 inch

Ordered Suspension from Rubitrux (Great speed in shipping, box was damaged, but no damage to parts)

Old Spring size
Front: 3657AB
3658AB
Rear 3587AA
3588AA

New Springs
Front: 3660AC
3661AC
Rear 3590AA
3591AA

I am totally stoked about what it added to the Jeep... Perfect height for me.
Tires 245/75/r17 (AT upgrade - stock) look ok..... Not great

Next is decide to ride with what I have on the tires or get a Bestop Trektop. Money as always is an issue, or I would do both.

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

Sponsored

jaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
That's a good deal!
anybody try this yet? I was thinking about it but the RC spacer is .75 inches, and I’m worried that will be too much. I’m just hoping to take the rake out of it and level it.
I have a question, I have never did a suspension before on any vehicle. I wish I had more mechanically inclined friends to help me out with it because I really want to install it myself. Is thisinstall difficult for a newbie or should I get a mechanic to install??

I just purchased a take off suspension for $180 dollars on Ebay. Seller states that it only has 11 miles on it. My plan is to put this Rubi suspension on and switch out the fenders to the High line or aftermarket flares. Would this allow me to put on 315/70/r17 with 17 x 9 rims or do I need to stay with the 33 inch tires. If anything with this suspension what would I need to do so I can add 35's

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question, I have never did a suspension before on any vehicle. I wish I had more mechanically inclined friends to help me out with it because I really want to install it myself. Is thisinstall difficult for a newbie or should I get a mechanic to install??

I just purchased a take off suspension for $180 dollars on Ebay. Seller states that it only has 11 miles on it. My plan is to put this Rubi suspension on and switch out the fenders to the High line or aftermarket flares. Would this allow me to put on 315/70/r17 with 17 x 9 rims or do I need to stay with the 33 inch tires. If anything with this suspension what would I need to do so I can add 35's

Thanks for any advice.

Jim
A stock Rubi can run 35s and since you are putting on a Rubi suspension and Rubi high line fenders you are creating the stance of a Rubi and should be fine. HOWEVER since you don't have the Rubi axles, your axles are 2" (if I remember correctly) more narrow. That means you may get tire rub at full turn or articulation so you may need to get a hub spacer or offset rim. You will need to do a little research on that but at the end of the day you can simply slap them on and figure out what/if they rub and move on from there.
In terms of doing it yourself it is not a difficult job. It will be very time consuming for your first go around. Give yourself an entire weekend to do it (you won't need all of it) and educate yourself via YouTube. There are plenty of videos out there and make sure to watch one specific to the JL. If you are mechanically inclined and do your own auto work this should be easy for you to do. If I had the time I'd offer but I've got so much on my plate right now I can't :/

PM me for my cell number if you decide to do it yourself and I can walk you through any questions.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Jim, great advice from Mike there^^^
I installed the Rubi suspension on my 2dr, and here's the link
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
It's not too hard to do, but trying to determine what you're comfortable with is hard to do over the internet :)
I'd look at that link, check out some other threads about suspension swaps and see how you feel about a DIY project.

Also wheel offset is important, you want your wheels a bit further out vs. the stock ones so you can let your springs work as they should w/ no contact issues. Offsets closer to zero are better (your stock wheels are +45) I run 17x8.5 +10 on 295/70/17 tires and they fit well, but my tires are about an inch shorter than 315/70s.

Also consider adding slightly longer lower control arms (LCAs), this will keep your caster angle close to your current setting. As you lift your Jeep your caster will decrease which will make your tires more prone to wander. The LCA info is in that same link I posted a few posts down.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Jim, great advice from Mike there^^^
I installed the Rubi suspension on my 2dr, and here's the link
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
It's not too hard to do, but trying to determine what you're comfortable with is hard to do over the internet :)
I'd look at that link, check out some other threads about suspension swaps and see how you feel about a DIY project.

Also wheel offset is important, you want your wheels a bit further out vs. the stock ones so you can let your springs work as they should w/ no contact issues. Offsets closer to zero are better (your stock wheels are +45) I run 17x8.5 +10 on 295/70/17 tires and they fit well, but my tires are about an inch shorter than 315/70s.

Also consider adding slightly longer lower control arms (LCAs), this will keep your caster angle close to your current setting. As you lift your Jeep your caster will decrease which will make your tires more prone to wander. The LCA info is in that same link I posted a few posts down.
I wouldn't sweat the LCAs for a Rubi suspension swap. I know the Rubi and Sahara LCAs are the same and I think the Sport are too. We have a 2" spacer lift and kept the stock LCAs however going above 2" you really should get longer LCAs or a LCA relocation bracket.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I wouldn't sweat the LCAs for a Rubi suspension swap. I know the Rubi and Sahara LCAs are the same and I think the Sport are too. We have a 2" spacer lift and kept the stock LCAs however going above 2" you really should get longer LCAs or a LCA relocation bracket.
Maybe the 2dr is more sensitive to that caster angle change. I did the Rubi swap and prior my steering was perfect (or as perfect as a live front axle w/out rack and pinion could be, lol), after the Rubi swap my steering had more wander and wasn't as happy w/ the way it was tracking down the road. Added the Mopar longer LCAs and it's even a bit better than it was prior :)

But FWIW I always try to run more caster in most of my vehicles if it's something I can adjust without too much trouble.

Sponsored

jaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Thank you for your replies

jim

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
Report Out: Yesterday I installed Rubicon take off springs 61/62 front and 90/91 rear, 209/210 shocks with Daystar .75 spacers on my Sport S. Got a nice 2.5 front 2.0 rear inch lift. Almost perfectly level front to rear at the lip of the fenders. I also added the Mopar lift front lower control arms. Looks great and feels better on the road. Thank you to all who have posted "how to" advice! Tom

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Report Out: Yesterday I installed Rubicon take off springs 61/62 front and 90/91 rear, 209/210 shocks with Daystar .75 spacers on my Sport S. Got a nice 2.5 front 2.0 rear inch lift. Almost perfectly level front to rear at the lip of the fenders. I also added the Mopar lift front lower control arms. Looks great and feels better on the road. Thank you to all who have posted "how to" advice! Tom
Nice! That's exactly what I installed. Except I had 60/61 + 91/92 rear. I bet yours is nice and level. Let us know how it drives.

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
Drives great, a very positive change. Firmer ride but still comfortable. Seems to soak up cracks, ruts and pot holes better. I am still on my stock rims and dueler tires set at 35 psi. It has always tracked straight and still does. Tom