arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JL Unlimited Sport S
Mine took me about 6 hours, no impact wrench. Next time i do suspension work I will get one. I think with an impact wrench and more experience i'd be able to get it done in 4 hours. Just for reference i'm pretty handy and do a lot of my own work on vehicles and my house but have never touched suspension before. This is my first Jeep.
Sponsored

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Mine took me about 6 hours, no impact wrench. Next time i do suspension work I will get one. I think with an impact wrench and more experience i'd be able to get it done in 4 hours. Just for reference i'm pretty handy and do a lot of my own work on vehicles and my house but have never touched suspension before. This is my first Jeep.
Did u loosen the LCA? I have a rubi take offs and want to do the swap but I don't have a 190 ft lbs capable torque wrench needed to tighten them just up to 120...plus I read they're a PIA

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JL Unlimited Sport S
no I did not. I didn’t seem to have any issues. I’d be prepared to though. I believe you can get a torque wrench off amazon for about $20 that does 190ft/lbs

Last edited:

NO51

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
buying a rubi take off suspension today with 10 miles on it for 250 guy is 4 miles away from me ..... couldnt have gotten any better

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
buying a rubi take off suspension today with 10 miles on it for 250 guy is 4 miles away from me ..... couldnt have gotten any better
That's a good deal!

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I did the Rubicon suspension swap a couple of weeks ago. Got it from someone for $100. The previous owner put roughly 4000 miles on it but for $100 it was a great deal! His Rubicon has hardtop and tow pkg and it added 1" to my Sport S all around. I was expecting 1.5" but it is what it is. It took me about 5 hours to complete the job with hand tools and a little help from my buddy. That is it for now until I wear out the OEM all terrain tires. I want to add a Teraflex 1.5" spacer leveling kit to allow enough room for 285/75R17. (all together it will be 2.5" suspension lift)

I wonder if anyone has this or similar set up? Do I need to get new sway bar links and bumpstops? Since the Rubicon shares the sway bar links with sport, I don't think i will need additional parts for this setup, correct?

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
I did the Rubicon suspension swap a couple of weeks ago. Got it from someone for $100. The previous owner put roughly 4000 miles on it but for $100 it was a great deal! His Rubicon has hardtop and tow pkg and it added 1" to my Sport S all around. I was expecting 1.5" but it is what it is. It took me about 5 hours to complete the job with hand tools and a little help from my buddy. That is it for now until I wear out the OEM all terrain tires. I want to add a Teraflex 1.5" spacer leveling kit to allow enough room for 285/75R17. (all together it will be 2.5" suspension lift)

I wonder if anyone has this or similar set up? Do I need to get new sway bar links and bumpstops? Since the Rubicon shares the sway bar links with sport, I don't think i will need additional parts for this setup, correct?
I’ve got a rubi take off (if you see some of my previous posts) and to answer your question about sway bar links - nope! To be sure, take a look at your sway bar. If it’s 90 degrees flat, you’re good. Any downward angle, you should throw on longer links.

What a great deal you got too! Nice little upgrade and great way to learn about your suspension!

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
I have the 1.5" teraflex on my sport s, with rubi shocks (not springs) and 285/70/17s, and did not need to replace the sway bar links - they are still about level with this setup. with the extra inch you might still be ok. I'm starting to think about a little more bumpstop in the rear axle - at full flex I don't think I'm hitting the stops yet, and worried the tire might hit the fender. I need to test this out again.

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 1.5" teraflex on my sport s, with rubi shocks (not springs) and 285/70/17s, and did not need to replace the sway bar links - they are still about level with this setup. with the extra inch you might still be ok. I'm starting to think about a little more bumpstop in the rear axle - at full flex I don't think I'm hitting the stops yet, and worried the tire might hit the fender. I need to test this out again.

ST 1 system from teraflex comes with longer bumpstop and I think that would do it. I want the jeep to look better with taller suspension and bigger tires. I believe Rubicon suspension, 1.5 leveling kit and 34" tires make a great combo for someone like me looking for a better stand and slightly longer suspension travel without breaking the bank or sacrificing too much fuel economy.

I will share the pics and my thoughts once I pull the trigger!

Sponsored

johnwpowell

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone got a good step by step or YouTube instructions for the swap?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone got a good step by step or YouTube instructions for the swap?
Go to LiteBrite's channel and they put on a RC 2.5".
You will simply need to go the extra step and completely take the shocks off but other than that it's identical.

namodei

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Sales Engineer

Did you ever put the teraflex 1.5 spacer on? I just got a deal on a Rubicon take off suspension and want to add that with the teraflex spacers as well.

Coach22

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
RC .75 level kit, Rubicon Suspension on Sport, and going from 245/75/R17 to 285/70/R17....

According to my math
Front
.75 level
1.25 Rubicon suspension
.5 from tire size increase
Equals 2.5 higher on front end

Rear
1.25 Rubicon Suspension
.5 from Tire size increase
1.75 Higher in back end

I realize the height of the Rubicon suspension could be .25 higher (as noted in previous post)

Am I wrong here???

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Can shocks from a Rubicon be installed on a Sport JLU, w/a stock suspension, w/o any issues?

I bid for, and won on eBay, a complete set of Rubicon shocks, w/less than 50 miles on them, for just $50.

Thanks!
Sponsored