Mikel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLU
Occupation
Principal Sales Engineer, Public Sector
Hey guys,

I have been looking and reading and I have a few questions. I am looking to simply replace my shocks and springs, from the JLU Sport to the JLU Rubicon. So, it is a simple swap out, Coils and shocks. Many people raises the jeep, at the frame, and allows the axel to dangle. Then they remove some components to get the axel to dangle as low as possible, to access the coil and pull it out. If I have a compressor, would it be smart to leave the shocks in (since it is limiting the drop of the axel) and use the compressor to remove and install the coils. This way, I do not have to remove and losen other items and then, swap out the shocks?
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

I have been looking and reading and I have a few questions. I am looking to simply replace my shocks and springs, from the JLU Sport to the JLU Rubicon. So, it is a simple swap out, Coils and shocks. Many people raises the jeep, at the frame, and allows the axel to dangle. Then they remove some components to get the axel to dangle as low as possible, to access the coil and pull it out. If I have a compressor, would it be smart to leave the shocks in (since it is limiting the drop of the axel) and use the compressor to remove and install the coils. This way, I do not have to remove and losen other items and then, swap out the shocks?
I suppose you could do this but you don't want to in your case. If you were simply swapping out Sport springs for Sport springs you could get away with it but you are going to a taller spring which means all four front control arms need to be loosened, swap in the new springs and then tighten the control arms in their new position WHEN THE JEEP IS FLAT ON THE GROUND.
Even though you are simply swapping springs and shocks you are really doing a lift and need to treat it as such.
Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my cell number for a conversation if you want.

MikelMD

First Name
Mikel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLU
Occupation
I suppose you could do this but you don't want to in your case. If you were simply swapping out Sport springs for Sport springs you could get away with it but you are going to a taller spring which means all four front control arms need to be loosened, swap in the new springs and then tighten the control arms in their new position WHEN THE JEEP IS FLAT ON THE GROUND.
Even though you are simply swapping springs and shocks you are really doing a lift and need to treat it as such.
Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my cell number for a conversation if you want.
Followup. How do I handle the rear? I have not found any videos or a process on that topic?

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hows the weight bearing capacity of the rubi coils? I am sagging quite heavily on Sahara

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Followup. How do I handle the rear? I have not found any videos or a process on that topic?
Same as front only easier. Look up Teraflaex 3.5" lift install on youtube and you'll find a good video.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hows the weight bearing capacity of the rubi coils? I am sagging quite heavily on Sahara
They will be a little stiffer. What are you doing to sag? Steel bumpers, winch, etc?

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
They will be a little stiffer. What are you doing to sag? Steel bumpers, winch, etc?
290 lbs front, 290lbs rear over stock and thats just right now. I'm not even done with skids.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
290 lbs front, 290lbs rear over stock and thats just right now. I'm not even done with skids.
Geesh that will make any suspension sag. You may want to look into a small lift like a 2.5" instead of just going with the Rubi coils.

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Geesh that will make any suspension sag. You may want to look into a small lift like a 2.5" instead of just going with the Rubi coils.
I was thinking of either:

1. Going rubi coils + keeping 2 inch front and 1.5 inch rear teraflex spacers

or

2. Going Dynatrac 2 inch lift with 0.5 inch teraflex spacers for the front to fix factory rake.

Dynatrac is going to be more uptravel but I'm not sure If I can maintain a level height based on future installations.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking of either:

1. Going rubi coils + keeping 2 inch front and 1.5 inch rear teraflex spacers

or

2. Going Dynatrac 2 inch lift with 0.5 inch teraflex spacers for the front to fix factory rake.

Dynatrac is going to be more uptravel but I'm not sure If I can maintain a level height based on future installations.
I would always recommend a true lift with a leveling kit (if needed) vs. a spacer lift. Been there done that.

Sponsored

MikelMD

First Name
Mikel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLU
Occupation
@mgroeger Hey Mike, I placed the order for the LCA 68322798AA to be able to stabilize my Caster. On that topic, I decided to measure the current caster - so please verify I have this correct. I placed the tool on the LCA and I get 5.5 for my JLUs. does this look/sound correct?

IMG_3871.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@mgroeger Hey Mike, I placed the order for the LCA 68322798AA to be able to stabilize my Caster. On that topic, I decided to measure the current caster - so please verify I have this correct. I placed the tool on the LCA and I get 5.5 for my JLUs. does this look/sound correct?

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon suspension with RC level kit on JL sport IMG_3872

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon suspension with RC level kit on JL sport IMG_3872
Hi Mike, I wish I had the answer for you but I don't. I was always told to check caster on the pinion housing on the axle or on the knuckle where the ball joint is. That being said I know my caster is 6 degrees since that is what the alignment shop told me but I can't find a 6 degree measurement anywhere when I check all the spots I was told to check.
Who told you to check it at the control arms? I never heard that one before and I don't believe it's a good location to read it.

MikelMD

First Name
Mikel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLU
Occupation
Hi Mike, I wish I had the answer for you but I don't. I was always told to check caster on the pinion housing on the axle or on the knuckle where the ball joint is. That being said I know my caster is 6 degrees since that is what the alignment shop told me but I can't find a 6 degree measurement anywhere when I check all the spots I was told to check.
Who told you to check it at the control arms? I never heard that one before and I don't believe it's a good location to read it.
Nobody told me. I guessed.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

MikelMD

First Name
Mikel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLU
Occupation
Great. Found it and I am at 5.5! So now I know what to shoot for!

thanks Mike!
Sponsored