Rubicon suspension with RC level kit on JL sport

Mad Beach

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
What size tire did you end up with and I think I will do the same till I add a bumper and winch....

With the hurricane coming through I might just install it in the garage tomorrow... pending if the wife will let me lol

Reaching out to anyone with experience on this. Have a JLUS and put Rubicon shocks and springs on 4 weeks ago. Everything has been fine, was great, got 1 1/2" lift all the way around and was ready to look at getting new tires ( just 33" ), but this week started experiencing some weird sounds and vibrations. Vibration not good word either, at slow speeds and turning there is shuddering up thru floor everyone can feel in seats. sometimes there are small bumby wiggly shuddering in rear half of jeep at straight low speed start and slow down. Checked all bolts and lugs, tight. Does this sound like an obvious problem I'm not familiar with ? Usually the jeep nation is more intuitive than service center. Thank you.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
What size tire did you end up with and I think I will do the same till I add a bumper and winch....

With the hurricane coming through I might just install it in the garage tomorrow... pending if the wife will let me lol
LOL!!!! I'm over in Apex and my wife asked me to put on her bumper and winch this weekend since we will be home because of the storm :)

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JL Unlimited Sport S
I just picked up a rubicon suspension and ordered the RC leveling kit, did you ever go through with it?
Sorry for the late response, no I haven't and i'm thinking I'm not going to. I haven't installed the rubicon suspension either. The spring numbers for the rubicon suspension are so much higher than my the spring numbers for my sport, and i'm not upgrading my tires right away. I believe the .75 inch spacer would be too much.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the late response, no I haven't and i'm thinking I'm not going to. I haven't installed the rubicon suspension either. The spring numbers for the rubicon suspension are so much higher than my the spring numbers for my sport, and i'm not upgrading my tires right away. I believe the .75 inch spacer would be too much.
If I may make a suggestion... I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, personally I really enjoyed spending WAY too long putting the RC 2.5" lift on because it gave me a chance to better understand the suspension of a dual solid axle and how it all works together.
You can expect around a .75" (maybe 1") of total lift from a Rubi suspension on a Sport. The guy on the thread who did this may be able to give a more accurate number. Keeping the original 31" Sport tires, that would give a pretty nice look. The other poster showed that setup and it appears his front rake went away. I suspect that may be because the Rubi suspension came off a Rubi with a steel front bumper which he doesn't have.
I think a front .75" spacer is too much by itself or on top of a Rubi swap. I based that on the fact that the RC 2.5" budget/spacer lift I put on only raised the front .5". That is because the the front spacer was exactly .5" higher than the rear... FRONT = 2.5" REAR = 2". This gave the Jeep a overall 2" lift and a level stance and with 33" tires we were happy with the overall look.

At the end of the day, you've got a Rubi suspension sitting in your garage begging to be put on to see if you like. You have nothing to lose other than your time :) Good luck with whatever you choose and if you do swap components make sure to loosen your front control arms before doing the swap and don't tighten them until the Jeep is back on the ground. Personally I didn't tighten them up until the entire Jeep lift was done so the Jeep was sitting in it's true lifted position all around.

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I may make a suggestion... I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, personally I really enjoyed spending WAY too long putting the RC 2.5" lift on because it gave me a chance to better understand the suspension of a dual solid axle and how it all works together.
You can expect around a .75" (maybe 1") of total lift from a Rubi suspension on a Sport. The guy on the thread who did this may be able to give a more accurate number. Keeping the original 31" Sport tires, that would give a pretty nice look. The other poster showed that setup and it appears his front rake went away. I suspect that may be because the Rubi suspension came off a Rubi with a steel front bumper which he doesn't have.
I think a front .75" spacer is too much by itself or on top of a Rubi swap. I based that on the fact that the RC 2.5" budget/spacer lift I put on only raised the front .5". That is because the the front spacer was exactly .5" higher than the rear... FRONT = 2.5" REAR = 2". This gave the Jeep a overall 2" lift and a level stance and with 33" tires we were happy with the overall look.

At the end of the day, you've got a Rubi suspension sitting in your garage begging to be put on to see if you like. You have nothing to lose other than your time :) Good luck with whatever you choose and if you do swap components make sure to loosen your front control arms before doing the swap and don't tighten them until the Jeep is back on the ground. Personally I didn't tighten them up until the entire Jeep lift was done so the Jeep was sitting in it's true lifted position all around.
I think what I'm going to do when I have time(honestly that is the biggest problem at the moment) is try different combinations. One user only put on the rubi shocks and had a mild increase that was left with a .75 inch rake. I'm going to try just the shocks with the .75 inch level kit first. Next i'm going to try the rubi shocks and springs. I believe you are correct in terms of the rubi shocks/springs and .75 level kit will be too much. I'll play around with it and see what yields the best results now. Then when I upgrade to 33 inch tires i'll put the rubi shocks/springs on or a different lift

Sponsored

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
man isn't that the truth, i'm struggling to find time to rotate my tires and change out the lug nuts today.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL. I'm on the fence about the lugnuts, i.e. getting rid of the locking ones. I know a lot of guys (especially ones who offroad) ditch the locking ones because they can cause problems and you don't want that on a trail.
I love my Rubi rims and don't want them to become a hand me down to someone else's greed. But I can't think of where someone would have the unnoticed access to steal them. I think I am going to just go ahead and get rid of them.

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i bought some black ones, i'm not getting the locking ones at this time, but i don't think anyone is stealing sport wheels lol

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
So I ended moving forward with installing the suspension and it looks great! I don't think I would like it if I still had the stock 31" tires and the 32" tires I currently have look a little small now, but the ride is great and it drives like stock. I did hold off on the leveling kit till I add the Rubicon bumper and winch.

41595842_10157979602202942_7392310535200440320_n.jpg

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just got down putting on a 50lb aluminum bumper and set the 64lb winch on it. Stock bumper was 30lb, so I had a net gain of 84lb and it moved the stock Sahara suspension less than 1/4", prob like an 1/8".

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
So I ended up getting a rubicon full metal bumper and ended up adding the RC leveling kit and now it looks great, so the bumper was a good amount heavier than the sport bumper...

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
I put Rubi suspension under my sport with the RC .75 kit. The springs we're the stiffest possible combination to my knowledge, (hardtop, tow pkg, steel bumpers) and I came away with 2.25" of lift in the rear and 3" in the front leaving my nose .25" higher but I'm putting a steel bumper on tomorrow. Initially my sport had no sag in the front end but as everything got broke in it definitely started to happen. Also those are 285/70r17 tires but on the 17x9 wheels they come out to about 32.25" I'm waiting for fender options to hit the market and then going to at least 35s but also debating on replacing the RC spacers with teraflex 1.5 kit (2" in front) if that would allow for 37s without degrading my suspension geometry too much.
Screenshot_20181029-033258.png
Screenshot_20181029-033249.png

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I put Rubi suspension under my sport with the RC .75 kit. The springs we're the stiffest possible combination to my knowledge, (hardtop, tow pkg, steel bumpers) and I came away with 2.25" of lift in the rear and 3" in the front leaving my nose .25" higher but I'm putting a steel bumper on tomorrow. Initially my sport had no sag in the front end but as everything got broke in it definitely started to happen. Also those are 285/70r17 tires but on the 17x9 wheels they come out to about 32.25" I'm waiting for fender options to hit the market and then going to at least 35s but also debating on replacing the RC spacers with teraflex 1.5 kit (2" in front) if that would allow for 37s without degrading my suspension geometry too much.
Screenshot_20181029-033258.png
Screenshot_20181029-033249.png
I'm in the same boat...added rubicon suspension/wheels/tires to jlus and want to eventually add a small lift and go to 315/70/17 ko2's with room for flex. I dont want to have to buy additional parts to modify driveshaft/arms...etc.
Sponsored