Sponsored

Rubicon suspension Swap on Sahara/Sport considered a "lift"?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So lets get this cleared once and for all, when you typically buy suspension/steering related upgrades it usually specifies it's 'for xx amount of lift'. Now, a Rubicon naturally sits higher than other trims, so a rubi suspension swap on a Sahara or sport yields about 1-2" of lift depending on your model.

I'm not very knowledgeable in how all the linkage affect one another, so go easy on me, but lets say a Sahara with Rubicon suspension swap yielding 1.5" of lift, should I consider that as 1.5" lift or 0" since I've just brought it up to stock Rubicon borderline level. And like many aftermarket components they are built for Rubicon as a reference point. This matters when you are shopping for things like suspension, sway bar links, track bars etc where it says for 0-2.5" or 2.5-4.5" of lift for example, should I read 'for 2.5" lift' as more like 'for 4" lift' if buying for a Sahara/Sport?

Many are reporting that Mopar 2" lift is giving more than 2" than as advertised, many are even Rubicon owners, who claims they are getting near 3" lift, so that would mean the Mopar lift would give something like 4" on a Sahara, and possibly more on a Sport. That's a massive amount of variance and not written clearly by manufactures.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense for me that when a Sport/Sahara do a Rubicon suspension swap, you can re-use all the original length linkage components since they are the same, but yet when a Rubicon does same amount of lift you have to use extended/adjustable-length components. Meaning stock rubis are running lower caster angles than stock Sahara/sports as one of the measurable differences?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Rubicon is 1.5" higher than a sport and 1" higher than a sahara
Rubi shocks and springs will lift a sport 1.5"
and a Sahara 1"

The linkage on a Rubi are maxed out at 1.5" of lift, therefore if you go higher, new linkage is required
You can use the original linkage on a sport and sahara because it doesn't put you over the linkages max threshold.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Rubicon is 1.5" higher than a sport and 1" higher than a sahara
Rubi shocks and springs will lift a sport 1.5"
and a Sahara 1"

The linkage on a Rubi are maxed out at 1.5" of lift, therefore if you go higher, new linkage is required
You can use the original linkage on a sport and sahara because it doesn't put you over the linkages max threshold.
Rubicon suspension gave me about 1.5" on the front and about 1" on the back, I imagine if I put on steel bumpers it would drop down closer to 1" overall. With that as it may, so let's say if I'm shopping for an upgrade (for example steering stabilizers) that says "requires at least 2" of lift", should I read it as 2" of lift on top of the Rubicon suspension, or 2" from my stock Sahara suspension height?

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Great question, I would go from stock Sahara height.
Maybe someone will chime in to confirm

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of confusion on this subject. I don't think even the manufacturers are being consistent between the three models. Heck, it's a crap shoot whether you get more or less than what they indicate it should be. Some are providing springs to allow for winches or extra weight, some are not, etc. I think you really need to talk with the manufacturer and find out what their posted lift height is based on. At least that way you can make an educated guess as to what you might get.

Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Ive also wondered this too. I have a Sahara with a hard top and the 3.6 so I take it then at most i'll get is about an inch of extra lift? So at this point would I be better off getting the 1.5" tera flex spacer lift? Cheaper and essentially more of a "lift"... Just looking for a more aggressive stance

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Great question, I would go from stock Sahara height.
Maybe someone will chime in to confirm
Nice Ride punk'n brother! What set up do you run on your JL for steering, lift, etc. I'm looking to mod soon and wanted to gather what people are running and what they like and dont like
Sponsored