Sponsored

Rubicon Suspension + Spacer Question

Pabst113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy’s
no problem! whats the upgrade on steering box for?

I have those springs and shocks with teraflex 1.5 spacers W/ 35s and i love the stance!
The safety bulletin for wandering steering CE
no problem! whats the upgrade on steering box for?

I have those springs and shocks with teraflex 1.5 spacers W/ 35s and i love the stance!
My steering was wandering/drifting especially in the center position and with turn inputs the tires seemed to not really move then all of a sudden turn. There’s a service bulletin on it and the issues are supposedly fixed for the 2021 models as there’s a new non-aluminum steering gear box.
Sponsored

Attachments

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Hi Sae,
Mopar LCAs are great for getting back to 6deg caster angle that will provide a more stable straight line drive at highway speeds. I was surprised to find out that the Rubicons did not come with these longer LCAs from the factory, but when I read all the post of Rubi owners complaining about "jittery" steering on the highway, it made sense. I guess Jeep thinks that Rubi owners are either going to upgrade to a lift and get new control arms or think that Rubi owners are primarily going to use their Jeeps for offroad trail driving at lower speeds.
The description you provide of your steering feeling like it's very windy outside, i.e. the Jeep moves side to side and you have to correct steering back to a straight line make sense because you already lifted the care to Rubi height witht he take off suspension, but then you added 2" spacer on the front and 1.5" on the front. That's essentially a 2" lift on top of the Rubi factory height, so your caster angle is now probably in the 4.75-5.5 deg range.

Because you raised the suspension an additional 2" in the front, the Mopar LCAs (.25" longer than stock) you may not completely get rid of the Jeep "wandering" around at highway speeds but you should lessen it. If you are going to keep the 2" spacer in there in conjunction w/ the Rubi take offs, and want to get to neutral, straight line steering at highway speeds, you might want to get some adjustable front LCAs.

I have similarly tall Rubi take off suspension and a .5" spacer on my Sahara and the Mopar LCAs work great. My dealer did an alignment after they replaced the steering box for the SBU and the caster checked out to be at exactly 6degs.

Anyway, hope this info helps you.

Thanks
G
Hi, I have a 2020 Sahara. Only thing I changed were to Gladiator Fox shocks, and Rubicon wheels/tires (285/75/17).
I did get the TSB done.

Do you think swapping to Mopar LCA's would help with my steering at highway speeds?

pitsqrd

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 1997 Porsche 993, 1978 911 SC 3.6 Restomod, 2017 F150, XLT
Occupation
Biz Dev
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, in my opinion it will definitely help. When picked up my Sahara, I had the dealer replace the factory wheels and tires with Rubi wheels and tires I had bought even before I bought the Jeep. When I drove the car home, ~ 1.5 hours on the freeway I had a little bit of buyers remorse because the Jeep wandered within the freeway lane and the dead spot in the steering (prior to getting the TSB installed) made me constantly put left and right steering adjustment to keep the Jeep tracking on my intended direction.

The .25" of the longer LCAs from Mopar definitely made a difference and when I had the dealer do the TSB, the dead spot in the steering went away also. Not sure why Jeep doesn't put the longer LCAs in at the factory on the stock Sahara and Rubicon's which are taller than the Sport and need should have the extra caster. It's probably to save a few bucks on the Bill of Matls, because they know a good % of Jeep buyers are going to swap out suspension anyway. I think there even a higher percentage of Rubicon buyers who have a lift kit on their list of initial mods compared to Sahara buyers :)

Hope this helps,
Gerald

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
On the topic of spring spacers, would one encounter coil bind with stock rubi coils and a 1in spacer or 1.5in spacer without additional bumpstop?

billychase1974

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUS
Occupation
Senior Corporate IT Analyst
How are the Mopar LCAs?

I just installed rubi suspension (came off of 4 door, hardtop, metal bumpers, towing pkg) and teraflex 2 front/1.5 rear spacer lift on my 4 door sport s.

On highway, it feels like its very windy outside when driving.
So you don’t like it?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So you don’t like it?
With the spacer lift combined w/ the longer Rubicon springs I'm guessing his caster is in the high 2 to low 3 degree range, if no LCA/UCA adjustments have been made I'd guess it's quite a wild ride on the highway no doubt!
Sponsored