Sponsored

Rubicon Suspension on Sport - Mopar Lift LCR’s Needed?

Yovwmon

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Altitude
There’s some opposing opinions on whether the Mopar lift LCA’s are needed when installing a takeoff Rubicon Suspension on a Sport. I’d like to have a fact based discussion on this so anyone looking to do the swap can make the needed preparations.

Here’s what I’ve established:
-Tire size equal to a stock JLUR: Mopar lift LCA’s are NOT needed when installing a takeoff Rubicon Suspension on a Sport.
-Tire size greater than a stock JLUR: Mopar lift LCA’s are needed when installing a takeoff Rubicon Suspension on a Sport.

If running tires larger than the stock JLUR without the Mopar lift LCA’s you might experience the following:
  • Play in steering
  • Decrease in handling
  • Death wobble
Has anyone that’s completed this suspension swap without the Mopar lift LCA’s experienced the above?

Would it be best practice to just install the Mopar lift LCA’s regardless of tire size?
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
There’s some opposing opinions on whether the Mopar lift LCA’s are needed when installing a takeoff Rubicon Suspension on a Sport. I’d like to have a fact based discussion on this so anyone looking to do the swap can make the needed preparations.

Here’s what I’ve established:
-Tire size equal to a stock JLUR: Mopar lift LCA’s are NOT needed when installing a takeoff Rubicon Suspension on a Sport.
-Tire size greater than a stock JLUR: Mopar lift LCA’s are needed when installing a takeoff Rubicon Suspension on a Sport.

If running tires larger than the stock JLUR without the Mopar lift LCA’s you might experience the following:
  • Play in steering
  • Decrease in handling
  • Death wobble
Has anyone that’s completed this suspension swap without the Mopar lift LCA’s experienced the above?

Would it be best practice to just install the Mopar lift LCA’s regardless of tire size?
First of all, tire size has nothing to do with caster. The problem with lower caster is wandering. Some tires are more prone to wander than others. Rubicons have lower caster to begin with due to the same LCAs being used for all models. There is no scientific answer to your question. Try it without LCAs and see how it drives. Usually more than just LCAs are required to alleviate all of the symptoms you've listed. Track bar being the best place to start.

Cracker_Box

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I have alignment spec sheet from installing the quarter inch longer LCAs and before and after the Rubicon suspension on my 2dr. And I wasn't worth the time or $60 bucks I spent.

Did not achieve enough caster with them.

Here is my specs before rubi suspension but with the longer LCAs.
20190907_173800.jpg

Here's my specs after alignment and Rubicon springs installed.

Caster got worse.
20190907_173817.jpg

I do notice this under braking on rough surfaces.

Cracker_Box

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Currently installing Mopar lift on my dad's Sahara, along with Teraflex adjustable LCAs and track bar, and RK rear track bar bracket.

I will post his alignment specs after I align it this weekend.

20191127_225425.jpg

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
I did not put on the longer lca's. All that I swapped out was shocks & springs. Then put on 17 x 9.5 black rhino wheels , 305/65/ 17 mt's. Absolutly no steering issues.

Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m also running the Rubi suspension with no issues whatsoever. I ordered a pair of the Mopar lca’s But they did not arrive for install day. I’m going to put them on eventually because I have them but you don’t really need them.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It is know that stock JL's caster decrease's as the model ride height encrease's. All stock JL's have te same lehght frt. LCA's. My JLR was less than 5* and the least of the models offered. The Mopar lift put the castor closer to 6*. I am currently running Synergy adj. LCA's at 1/8" over the Mopar LCA's length and I have not done an alignment shop verification as to degrees of caster. I can tell you that up to 90 MPH it drives better than any Jeep without doors I've ever owned.
Sponsored