Rubicon suspension on Sahara... FAIL

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Just checked springs on my Sport from Rubicon with every option. Fronts are 61/62, so I guess your donor Rubicon had wrong fronts for some reason. So if you like the ride, spend $50 on 1" spacers and forget about it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Just checked springs on my Sport from Rubicon with every option. Fronts are 61/62, so I guess your donor Rubicon had wrong fronts for some reason. So if you like the ride, spend $50 on 1" spacers and forget about it.
That’s the plan. Thanks for checking!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not for nothing, but did you loosen all control arm bolts during the swap? All kit instructions say to do that even if the arms aren't being replaced, so the bushings can rotate to their new neutral position under its own weight. Just wondering if they weren't loosened, would the bind be enough for it to slightly compress the springs? In the very least, that constant state of bind will shorten the lifespan of those rubbers.

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
Bought a complete rubicon take-off suspension from a new JLUR hardtop w/ tow package and steel bumpers. Put it on my JLU Sahara (2.0, auto, no tow package) with absolutely no change up front, and 1” lift in back. Both fronts were 36.5” and both backs were 37”. Now after the swap the fronts are still 36.5” and backs are 37.5

The weird part is I put the front Rubi springs next to my Sahara ones and they were 1-1.5 inches taller. The rear Rubi springs were about .5” taller. I’ve done this swap before so I’m familiar with it, and still followed the tutorial I found on this site. I tripled checked the install, there are no missing parts lol! I’ve driven around at least 20 miles on it to make sure there are no issues, and measured it numerous times before and after in the exact same spot each time.

Anyone have a clue why the front didn’t lift at all?

My Sahara springs part #’s
Front Driver - 68253658AC
Front Passenger - 68253659AC
Rear Driver - 68253589AA
Rear Passenger - 68253590AA

Rubicon spring part #’s (just one number up on each):
Front Driver - 68253659AC
Front Passenger - 68253660AC
Rear Driver - 68253590AA
Rear Passenger - 68253591AA

I know I can just buy some spacers to fix it but would really like to know the cause. Maybe it’ll help someone else. Every post I read shows Sahara’s getting .75” - 1.5” in lift from this exact swap with exact same part numbers. Luckily it’s a pretty easy job to go back in again, and I love the stiffer ride!

I'm about to install the same exact Rubi take off springs/shocks as you did and now I'm nervous that my Sahara isn't going to really gain any lift. Should I also throw in a 1" spacer kit? I'm trying to keep it as close to factory Rubi specs as possible. Any recommendations?

OP
OP
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I'm about to install the same exact Rubi take off springs/shocks as you did and now I'm nervous that my Sahara isn't going to really gain any lift. Should I also throw in a 1" spacer kit? I'm trying to keep it as close to factory Rubi specs as possible. Any recommendations?
No way to know as you can see by the replies people had different experiences and results. I took it all apart again, added 1.5” spacers in front and .5” spacers in back and it sits perfectly level, and a total of about 2” of lift from stock.

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
I just ordered the Daystar 3/4" f+r spacer kit and Mopar LCA's. Gonna throw those on along with the Rubi springs and shocks. It might still be a little low in the front but we'll see how it goes.
Sponsored