Sponsored

Rubicon suspension on Sahara... FAIL

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Bought a complete rubicon take-off suspension from a new JLUR hardtop w/ tow package and steel bumpers. Put it on my JLU Sahara (2.0, auto, no tow package) with absolutely no change up front, and 1” lift in back. Both fronts were 36.5” and both backs were 37”. Now after the swap the fronts are still 36.5” and backs are 37.5

The weird part is I put the front Rubi springs next to my Sahara ones and they were 1-1.5 inches taller. The rear Rubi springs were about .5” taller. I’ve done this swap before so I’m familiar with it, and still followed the tutorial I found on this site. I tripled checked the install, there are no missing parts lol! I’ve driven around at least 20 miles on it to make sure there are no issues, and measured it numerous times before and after in the exact same spot each time.

Anyone have a clue why the front didn’t lift at all?

My Sahara springs part #’s
Front Driver - 68253658AC
Front Passenger - 68253659AC
Rear Driver - 68253589AA
Rear Passenger - 68253590AA

Rubicon spring part #’s (just one number up on each):
Front Driver - 68253659AC
Front Passenger - 68253660AC
Rear Driver - 68253590AA
Rear Passenger - 68253591AA

I know I can just buy some spacers to fix it but would really like to know the cause. Maybe it’ll help someone else. Every post I read shows Sahara’s getting .75” - 1.5” in lift from this exact swap with exact same part numbers. Luckily it’s a pretty easy job to go back in again, and I love the stiffer ride!
Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
No surprise, you only moved up one spring number on each corner.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hmm. Sorry to hear that, you seem to have gotten a fairly low Rubicon spring numbers. Should have checked the spring numbers before proceeding I guess..

OP
OP
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hmm. Sorry to hear that, you seem to have gotten a fairly low Rubicon spring numbers. Should have checked the spring numbers before proceeding I guess..
I did check them... and contemplated even purchasing them because they were only 1 number off but saw they matched the Rubi spring #’s others put on their JL’s so I figured I’d get .75” with these. You mention low Rubicon spring numbers.. what should the numbers have been?

OP
OP
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
No surprise, you only moved up one spring number on each corner.
It’s surprising to me because all 4 are only 1 number up so why does the back go up an inch and nothing up front. See what I’m saying? If all 4 only went up .5” that would make sense.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
It’s surprising to me because all 4 are only 1 number up so why does the back go up an inch and nothing up front. See what I’m saying? If all 4 only went up .5” that would make sense.
Could be the weight difference in the front of his Sahara.... :idea: compared to the rear. It also seems many of us that have installed a takeoff Rubicon suspension add leveling spacers up front as part of the process.

OP
OP
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Could be the weight difference in the front of his Sahara.... :idea: compared to the rear. It also seems many of us that have installed a takeoff Rubicon suspension add leveling spacers up front as part of the process.
Yeah I read the 2.0 engine is heavier than the V6, and the rubicon I got the suspension from had the 6. What other weight does the Sahara have up front the sport or Rubi doesn’t have? Most of the posts I read from people doing this swap didn’t mention putting in spacers but I’ll be adding them now.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I read the 2.0 engine is heavier than the V6, and the rubicon I got the suspension from had the 6. What other weight does the Sahara have up front the sport or Rubi doesn’t have? Most of the posts I read from people doing this swap didn’t mention putting in spacers but I’ll be adding them now.
The leveling spacers are personal preference. I added them up front on mine shortly after my initial installation. I did this in conjunction with adding the Mopar lift LCAs to improve caster.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
The 59/60 Rubicon front springs are useless and soft as heck, I had that combo (plastic bumper). Once I put on aftermarket bumper and winch, the front end sagged a whole 1 INCH.

Now the 61/62 (steel bumper Rubicon) can definitely give you some moderate lift, better yet if you can find or 63/64 (diesel Rubicon), you may even get rid of factory rake. Problem is not a lot of aftermarket diesel lift for now, so we haven't seen these stock springs.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Bummer! At least you have stiffer springs and better shocks. Thanks for posting the info - may help someone out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
The 59/60 Rubicon front springs are useless and soft as heck, I had that combo (plastic bumper). Once I put on aftermarket bumper and winch, the front end sagged a whole 1 INCH.

Now the 61/62 (steel bumper Rubicon) can definitely give you some moderate lift, better yet if you can find or 63/64 (diesel Rubicon), you may even get rid of factory rake. Problem is not a lot of aftermarket diesel lift for now, so we haven't seen these stock springs.
The rubicon these were taken off of had the hardtop, tow package, AND steel bumpers... I saw it with my own eyes so not sure why it would have those model number springs then. And these are the same spring part numbers everyone I’ve seen is reportedly using with great results. I’m fairly convinced it’s due to the weight difference between the 2.0 and V6 but was hoping others had some insight also. Either way I’m gonna put in the Mopar LCA’s and front spacers and call it good I guess.

OP
OP
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Bummer! At least you have stiffer springs and better shocks. Thanks for posting the info - may help someone out.
Thank you, sir. I was hoping someone might have an answer as to why mine didn’t work like the other Sahara owners I’ve seen post but know there’s been varying info on the use of these springs so hoped this might help someone as well.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
The rubicon these were taken off of had the hardtop, tow package, AND steel bumpers... I saw it with my own eyes so not sure why it would have those model number springs then. And these are the same spring part numbers everyone I’ve seen is reportedly using with great results. I’m fairly convinced it’s due to the weight difference between the 2.0 and V6 but was hoping others had some insight also. Either way I’m gonna put in the Mopar LCA’s and front spacers and call it good I guess.
Regarding the weight difference between the I4 and V6, I wonder if that weight difference is actually in the front? That battery is heavy, but it is toward the back. So I question if the 4 cylinder block with a turbo is actually heavier than the larger V6? I would think it would be lighter. And the V6 has that second battery up front, adding more weight up there.

But if the 4 is actually lighter in the front, that would make your situation even less understandable.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'm sure it's obvious but you did reuse all the rubber spring mount pads right?

There's been a few cases when folks were doing suspension upgrades and didn't use them and wondered where all their lift went :(

OP
OP
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I'm sure it's obvious but you did reuse all the rubber spring mount pads right?

There's been a few cases when folks were doing suspension upgrades and didn't use them and wondered where all their lift went :(
Haha I sure did!
Regarding the weight difference between the I4 and V6, I wonder if that weight difference is actually in the front? That battery is heavy, but it is toward the back. So I question if the 4 cylinder block with a turbo is actually heavier than the larger V6? I would think it would be lighter. And the V6 has that second battery up front, adding more weight up there.

But if the 4 is actually lighter in the front, that would make your situation even less understandable.
Yeah good points. Idk man, it’s puzzling and based on the responses nobody seems to know the cause.
Sponsored