Rubicon Suspension on a Wrangler Sport?

Viggomeister

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Hello Folks, I'm new to this Forum and I'm sure this question has been asked before in previous threads. I recently purchased a 2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport - Altitude and was wondering if I can put a 2018-2021 Rubicon suspension on my 2021 JL Wrangler? I know that alot of Rubicon buyers swop out their factory suspension for a much beefier aftermarket suspension and I have seen some real good deals of individuals selling their fairly new Rubicon factory suspension. I'm on a budget so I thought that this might be a good option to start with regarding lifting and building up my suspension.

If this is possible, is there any modifications that need to made and also how much lift would I get from doing so? And I guess the final question would be... is it worth it?

Need some guidance! All thoughts are Welcome.

Viggomeister
Sponsored

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
All you will need are springs and shocks. Everything else is the same. I got around 1.10 inches of total lift. It took me about an hour to install everything.

OP
OP

Viggomeister

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome. Thanks for the feed back.

All you will need are springs and shocks. Everything else is the same. I got around 1.10 inches of total lift. It took me about an hour to install everything.

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Edit: You will not need to make any modifications. Spring numbers will play into how much lift you will get as well. Each model package comes with different spring numbers to offset the weight. For instance a Diesel with hardtop, 4 door, towing package, and steel bumpers with get you the most lift from the shocks and springs. Here is a excel doc that @AnnDee4444 collected and created. This is what I used to get my springs.

The springs are also corner specific, be sure that you install them in the correct corner as they are designed to offset the extra weight of gas and the other factors.

Feel free to message me, i am no expert by any means. This is my first jeep and ive been doing everything myself.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on a Wrangler Sport? 9E3AFE4A-0EEE-417E-8CBF-624E45299FE4

OP
OP

Viggomeister

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the additional information and offering your insight. I'll check it out!

Edit: You will not need to make any modifications. Spring numbers will play into how much lift you will get as well. Each model package comes with different spring numbers to offset the weight. For instance a Diesel with hardtop, 4 door, towing package, and steel bumpers with get you the most lift from the shocks and springs. Here is a excel doc that @AnnDee4444 collected and created. This is what I used to get my springs.

The springs are also corner specific, be sure that you install them in the correct corner as they are designed to offset the extra weight of gas and the other factors.

Feel free to message me, i am no expert by any means. This is my first jeep and ive been doing everything myself.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on a Wrangler Sport? 9E3AFE4A-0EEE-417E-8CBF-624E45299FE4

Sponsored

KrisEdward

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport S
Did the swap about 1.5yrs ago. Been awesome for me. Two additional things, added .5 spacer up front for a cleaner level stance. Second, the longer LCA's from the Mopar lift kit to assist with handling. All recommendations from the shop and from some gentleman on the forum. Couldn't be happier.

OP
OP

Viggomeister

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. I hadn't thought how this might effect the stance of the Wrangler and its handling.

Thanks!

Did the swap about 1.5yrs ago. Been awesome for me. Two additional things, added .5 spacer up front for a cleaner level stance. Second, the longer LCA's from the Mopar lift kit to assist with handling. All recommendations from the shop and from some gentleman on the forum. Couldn't be happier.

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I was recently in the same boat. I know I eventually want to put a 2.5" JKS J-Konnect suspension on my Sport, but don't have the funds for $2,200 in suspension, let alone 5 new wheels right now (most lift kits require 4.5" wheel backspacing, which can be achieved with spacers but I personally hate them).

Long story short, I determined there were two easy and inexpensive ways to get 35s under my Sport ASAP: A full Rubicon swap, or a spacer lift (aka "budget boost").

My stuff is kind of a hybrid of the two "cheapest and easiest" ways to get a Sport off the ground and probably an uncommon combination, but I figured I'd chime in. I ended up getting a set of like-new Rubicon shocks from another member here, but couldn't find a low-mileage set of springs off a gas / hardtop Rubicon locally within my timeframe. I didn't want to throw springs from a 4XE or diesel on my gas sport and end up with a rougher ride, so I bought a set of Teraflex 1.5" spacers to get me by.

I know you didn't ask this specifically, but just wanted to let you know that there are alternatives to the Rubicon swap if availability doesn't allow for it within your intended timeframe.

OP
OP

Viggomeister

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a guy that is willing to sell me a new 2020 Rubicon suspension for $250. He took it off as soon as he bought the Rubicon. I think I'll go that route. But it's good to know there is options. Thanks for your input.

I was recently in the same boat. I know I eventually want to put a 2.5" JKS J-Konnect suspension on my Sport, but don't have the funds for $2,200 in suspension, let alone 5 new wheels right now (most lift kits require 4.5" wheel backspacing, which can be achieved with spacers but I personally hate them).

Long story short, I determined there were two easy and inexpensive ways to get 35s under my Sport ASAP: A full Rubicon swap, or a spacer lift (aka "budget boost").

My stuff is kind of a hybrid of the two "cheapest and easiest" ways to get a Sport off the ground and probably an uncommon combination, but I figured I'd chime in. I ended up getting a set of like-new Rubicon shocks from another member here, but couldn't find a low-mileage set of springs off a gas / hardtop Rubicon locally within my timeframe. I didn't want to throw springs from a 4XE or diesel on my gas sport and end up with a rougher ride, so I bought a set of Teraflex 1.5" spacers to get me by.

I know you didn't ask this specifically, but just wanted to let you know that there are alternatives to the Rubicon swap if availability doesn't allow for it within your intended timeframe.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

You can always buy brand new rubicon springs from mopar and they are not expensive. 1.5inch spacers on a sport for 35s, do you rub at full flex?

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You can always buy brand new rubicon springs from mopar and they are not expensive. 1.5inch spacers on a sport for 35s, do you rub at full flex?
The point was just getting it off the ground as easily and inexpensively as possible for a while, knowing that it's going to be replaced in the future. ~$150 for a set of pucks that have the right seating geometry for the coils and level the ride out at the same time was kind of a no brainer for a temporary solution.
1.5inch spacers on a sport for 35s, do you rub at full flex?
I have gutted and chopped the fenders, stubby bumpers and skinny 35s. I honestly doubt I'd need the boost at all, but I'm doing it just to do it while I've got the whole thing apart anyways.

Deleted member 68858

Here’s my 18 JLU Sport S that I just got 21 JLUR takeoff suspension & rock rails put on. Rides and handles a hell of a lot better now that’s for sure. Didnt change out the LCA’s yet because I feel it’s not needed right now. Maybe when I put on some BFG KO2 34’s, then I’ll go about doing that.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on a Wrangler Sport? AED4C40E-ECE1-4574-A055-52A02763F70D
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on a Wrangler Sport? 0DD8E812-EFA6-4804-B0BE-E5B49DB05003
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on a Wrangler Sport? D164C4D8-900F-48CA-8CC8-985DA7730EA0

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Here’s my 18 JLU Sport S that I just got 21 JLUR takeoff suspension & rock rails put on. Rides and handles a hell of a lot better now that’s for sure. Didnt change out the LCA’s yet because I feel it’s not needed right now. Maybe when I put on some BFG KO2 34’s, then I’ll go about doing that.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on a Wrangler Sport? D164C4D8-900F-48CA-8CC8-985DA7730EA0
Interesting, the stance still looks good even with the stock tires.

Do you have a picture directly from the side? Also, when you say it rides and handles better, what exactly do you mean?
Sponsored