Rubicon suspension on a JL sport

Hartdt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Pictures of my 2018 JLU Sport are below from before/after installation of new takeoff rubicon shocks/springs (with appr 10 miles - paid $150 on CL) and the Mopar 2"lift lower control arms yesterday. First pic was with original sport wheels for comparison. Gained about 1.75" in back and 2" in front. With my soft top installed perhaps the rear will sit up an additional 1/4" or so. The rubicon spring #s were 60/61 and 90/91. My originals were 87/88 and 57/58 I believe. Seems to drive as well as it did with stock suspension and may actually ride a little smoother. Had the jeep lined up after the install. No significant adjustments needed. Castor while within acceptable range was still only 4.8. I was going to install 3/4 daystar spacers as well but decided to hold off. I was only looking for a little more clearance for the take-off rubicon wheel/tire combo I installed last year. Probably all I need as I rarely offroad except for the yellow trails at Turkey Bay in LBL in KY/TN. Just thought I would share for those of you considering this option.

file1.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Pictures of my 2018 JLU Sport are below from before/after installation of new takeoff rubicon shocks/springs (with appr 10 miles - paid $150 on CL) and the Mopar 2"lift lower control arms yesterday. First pic was with original sport wheels for comparison. Gained about 1.75" in back and 2" in front. With my soft top installed perhaps the rear will sit up an additional 1/4" or so. The rubicon spring #s were 60/61 and 90/91. My originals were 87/88 and 57/58 I believe. Seems to drive as well as it did with stock suspension and may actually ride a little smoother. Had the jeep lined up after the install. No significant adjustments needed. Castor while within acceptable range was still only 4.8. I was going to install 3/4 daystar spacers as well but decided to hold off. I was only looking for a little more clearance for the take-off rubicon wheel/tire combo I installed last year. Probably all I need as I rarely offroad except for the yellow trails at Turkey Bay in LBL in KY/TN. Just thought I would share for those of you considering this option.
Looks great. I'm really surprised at the 4.8 castor. Mine was 5.8 on one side and 6.0 on the other and most others have reported similar results.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
The LCA and spacers are all optional and can be done either during the suspension swap or afterwards. I only did shocks and springs and eventually Gladiator Rubicon takeoff wheels and tires. On road, any difference in handling in minor at most but it feels much better off road. There is a slight rear rake but that's because I have a soft top. You have a hard top so that will weigh down the rear so the rake would be less if any.

Before and After.jpeg
Wow, that looks perfect! I have a base 2-door Sport with soft top like you, and was hoping for the extra height in the rear because my wife and 2 teenagers ride with me. Looks like this will mitigate some sag in the rear. I found a guy locally selling new takeoff Rubicon springs/shocks from a hardtop/steel bumper/tow package 4-door so I already scooped those up. Planning to do the swap sometime this year once I have funds for wheels and tires so I can install everything at once.

Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Alright I finally did it:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon suspension on a JL sport IMG_20200718_201505635

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon suspension on a JL sport IMG_20200718_201455320

Mine came off a 2D rubi with tow package, hardtop, steel bumpers.

It definitely bumped me up quite a bit, I didnt measure it but I am thinking 1.5in at a minimum if not more. I didnt use to step on the sliders to get in before the lift, and now I definitely do, so it is def quite a bit higher. Slight rake in the rear, probably cause top is off. no biggie.

I did install then longer LCAs from the mopar lift.

It drives straight as an arrow. I never really experienced steering issues. The steering does feel a little tighter after the install. Nothing major. In terms of road feel, drives and feels like a Jeep nothing to say really. Wife said might feel a little stiffer but she might be imagining it. I also noticed it a bit stiffer at the beginning but I either got used to it or the suspension set in after some driving. And I feel the higher center of gravity, but again no big deal, it is a jeep so I drive it like a jeep.

I have not tested it off road yet but will do after running an alignment on it for peace of mind. Everything is centered and feels neat so I am sure it is fine.

I drove my jeep for an entire year stock before doing this, including trails. After hitting some trails, and going on long trips off pavement I really wanted better articulation and ground clearance without going too high, while keeping the Jeep as stock as possible with Mopar parts. So the 2DR rubicon suspension seemed perfect. I modified my jeep for my needs, I care about performance and dont care about looks, so I got the lift thats gonna perform for me.

I wouldn't have been able to do this without huge help from @Blu bi Kong. Great guy. loves jeeps, experienced. knows his stuff.

I cant wait to take it offroad and put KO2s in the future :rock::jk:.

Last edited:

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Alright I finally did it:

Mine came off a 2D rubi with tow package, hardtop, steel bumpers.

It definitely bumped me up quite a bit, I didnt measure it but I am thinking 1.5in at a minimum if not more. I didnt use to step on the sliders to get in before the lift, and now I definitely do, so it is def quite a bit higher. Slight rake in the rear, probably cause top is off. no biggie.

I did install then longer LCAs from the mopar lift.

It drives straight as an arrow. I never really experienced steering issues. The steering does feel a little tighter after the install. Nothing major. In terms of road feel, drives and feels like a Jeep nothing to say really. Wife said might feel a little stiffer but she might be imagining it. I also noticed it a bit stiffer at the beginning but I either got used to it or the suspension set in after some driving. And I feel the higher center of gravity, but again no big deal, it is a jeep so I drive it like a jeep.

I have not tested it off road yet but will do after running an alignment on it for peace of mind. Everything is centered and feels neat so I am sure it is fine.

I drove my jeep for an entire year stock before doing this, including trails. After hitting some trails, and going on long trips off pavement I really wanted better articulation and ground clearance without going too high, while keeping the Jeep as stock as possible with Mopar parts. So the 2DR rubicon suspension seemed perfect. I modified my jeep for my needs, I care about performance and dont care about looks, so I got the lift thats gonna perform for me.

I wouldn't have been able to do this without huge help from @Blu bi Kong. Great guy. loves jeeps, experienced. knows his stuff.

I cant wait to take it offroad and put KO2s in the future :rock::jk:.
Was happy to help you make this happen with you.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
For those of you considering doing this. I used to have to push the top with my hand a bit when taking the toplift pro out of the back, now I have over a 2in gap. This was from a fully optioned 2DR Rubicon, so if you have a 2D sport and getting a suspension from a 4D keep in mind you might get more than 2 inches lift.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon suspension on a JL sport IMG_20200719_131047731

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For those of you considering doing this. I used to have to push the top with my hand a bit when taking the toplift pro out of the back, now I have over a 2in gap. This was from a fully optioned 2DR Rubicon, so if you have a 2D sport and getting a suspension from a 4D keep in mind you might get more than 2 inches lift.
Mine seems to be right at 2", swap came from JLUR w/ hardtop, V6, tow, & steel bumper.
The money ticket seems to be from the Diesel JLUR, getting 2 1/2" or a bit more.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon suspension on a JL sport IMG_20200719_131047731
Need a lift kit for your lift! Simple spacer blocks between the chassis of the top lift pro and the wheels would probably do the trick

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Need a lift kit for your lift! Simple spacer blocks between the chassis of the top lift pro and the wheels would probably do the trick
it is better now actually. I had to push the top up with my hand to get enough clearance to pull the toplift out of the jeep at the lowest setting, it wouldnt get low enough. Now it is easy cause I have plenty of clearance! at the lowest setting.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Looks great. I'm really surprised at the 4.8 castor. Mine was 5.8 on one side and 6.0 on the other and most others have reported similar results.
yeah same. 5.8 and 5.6 for me with the LCAs. I've been enjoying this suspension. Huge upgrade from the sport, specially with the sway bar disconnected.

My plans are to grow with it.
- 33s as soon as my 31.5 Wrangler ATs start to either fail on me or wear off tread (so far they've been great).
- Winch (maybe) + steel bumper + spacer to make up for lost clearance. Steel bumper might come soon as my plastic bumper already has a crack underneath and it is also starting to look like shit, they can't take much.
- ARB locker on my rear 44 danas if my LSD starts to wear or if I start getting stuck. So far the LSD has been good.

And I think that's it. As I grow into off-roading that's my plan. I think that would be a pretty solid build. I looked into keeping the rear LSD and installing front locker, but I don't think that makes much sense. Chances are the LSD will fail or not be enough for me, and a rear locker should be more than enough for my needs.
Sponsored

Last edited: