Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hi,

I recently bought shocks and springs from a 2-D Rubicon with steel bumpers, hardtop, and towing package.
I own a 2-D Sport S with a hardtop.

What I want to get out of the shocks/springs swap:

1) Minimal lift (1~1.5in) for better articulation and future K02s.
2) Better suspension to support heavier components such as steel bumper, side armor, a few skid plates, and maybe a low profile roof rack like the maximus 3 or Evo.
3) Better suspension for towing light weight(1000 ~ 1500 lbs).

I've heard people using .5in spacers as well with the installation? IS the point of this to get a higher lift? if so, I don't need that. The other thing I've seen is people buying the Mopar lift lower control arms, is this necessary to correct caster? I want to know what I need to make the swap before I go the shop.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

The .5” front spacer will level the jeep out. It has rake from the factory.

Mopar LCAs will certainly help with castor and are cheap. Had i known when i installed my rubi suspension i would have installed them

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The .5” front spacer will level the jeep out. It has rake from the factory.

Mopar LCAs will certainly help with castor and are cheap. Had i known when i installed my rubi suspension i would have installed them
Thanks Steve. Do you know where I can buy both the front spacer and control arms? I am gonna sit on the parts for a few months see what happens with this whole steering issue being investigated, perhaps a recall will get them to install the LCA on 2018, 2019 wranglers. Who knows.

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I put JLUR shocks and springs on my JLS. I almost think the front is too high and needs a small spacer in the rear.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
On the 2 doors it seems adding a .5 spacer to the rear is popular and some company’s like Teraflex use a higher spacer in the rear of their 1.5”
Kit to level the two doors. If you don’t plan on adding a heavier front bumper, winch, rails etc. you probably will level out with the take offs you purchased.

Sponsored

BoiledDogs

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Gun Bunny
The LCA and spacers are all optional and can be done either during the suspension swap or afterwards. I only did shocks and springs and eventually Gladiator Rubicon takeoff wheels and tires. On road, any difference in handling in minor at most but it feels much better off road. There is a slight rear rake but that's because I have a soft top. You have a hard top so that will weigh down the rear so the rake would be less if any.

Before and After.jpeg

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I have a JLU and did the rubi suspension. It seemed like I noticed a bit of what I could call bump steer after adding it. Nothing horrible and after a couple days it didn't really bother me. I have now added the new mopar lac's and it now drives like it did before the rubi suspension. For 60 bucks I would say you can't really go wrong adding them. Just my .02 cents.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thanks. I'll be doing the swap (springs and shocks) AND longer LCA's. We will see about spacers later.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Another great thread, thanks! I'm adding Rubi shocks and springs to my Sahara and wondered about this

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Are the track bars identical on the Rubicon and Sport? I have a complete takeoff from a Rubicon and I would think the track bar would be longer. Anyone know?

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Are the track bars identical on the Rubicon and Sport? I have a complete takeoff from a Rubicon and I would think the track bar would be longer. Anyone know?
They are the same. You can check the part number. The only change would be if the Rubicon is the newer track bar with stiffer bushings.