OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Sorry if this has been asked a million times. Can’t help but have some reservation about doing the rubicon installation myself (springs, shocks) along with teraflex spacer 1/2inch and mopar longer lca. I have a floor jack, two jack stands (up to 18”), impact wrench and sockets.
I have done coilover installation on a miata before. I guess I’m just seeking reassurance lol

thanks for listening
You'll be fine, the only real issue is getting the LCA nuts loose, & torqued back up as it can be hard to get leverage. I used ramps (post #4 on this thread) and that made it easy. If you're just doing springs & shocks you can leave the LCAs alone, it's best to get them loose while you put the springs on and then torque them back up when the springs are back on (do this while the Jeep is on ramps or on the ground). But it's not a must, although adding the longer Mopar lift LCAs in the near future would be what I'd recommend to keep your caster proper.
Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Sorry if this has been asked a million times. Can’t help but have some reservation about doing the rubicon installation myself (springs, shocks) along with teraflex spacer 1/2inch and mopar longer lca. I have a floor jack, two jack stands (up to 18”), impact wrench and sockets.
I have done coilover installation on a miata before. I guess I’m just seeking reassurance lol

thanks for listening
Yup, that is the exact same setup I did on my JLW with the same tools. Just make sure that you have a good impact wrench (not needed, but makes the install much easier) or a breaker bar, and a torque wrench that get the LCA's to to spec. Other than that, it was much easier than I thought it was going to be. I did cheat a little and used a spring compressor kit from Harbor Freight, which helped to not have to lower the axles as much. You might be able to rent them from a local auto parts store, but they are not needed to complete the process. Good luck and post your before and after photos!

Sponsored

EdSoCal81

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
It took two days to install the rubicon springs and shocks, about 5 hrs a day before I got too tired and stopped. I wasn't able to install the LCA though. Was only able to break the bolt towards the rear with the impact wrench but on one side, I wasn’t able to pull the bolt out. I didn’t even try breaking the bolt closer to the engine side, cause by then I was dead tired. Do you think spraying PB would help a lot? Also I was doing this with the car not lifted, I’ll try again mid week after I spray it and use a ramp

691520F9-E14F-4BC7-9D44-9CBED735EB02.jpeg

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ramps will help a lot, spraying PB blast should help a bit too. I was able to use a 2ft breaker bar for all of mine except one, and for that I had to use the pipe handle on my floor jack slipped over my 1/2" drive breaker bar, worked like a champ!

Last edited:

Alleycat14

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s
I have done the swap on mine, I'm an inch higher in the rear. I can't find 1 inch spacers to make up the difference, all I find is 3/4. Does anyone know where I can find 1 inch?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Here is an update on mine-
Rubicon springs gave me 1.5" lift in the front and the change in geometry causes the drag link to pull the axle slightly to the side which turns the steering wheel a little bit. I finally got around to trying to center my wheel. I shortened the tie rod piece from the steering arm by 1/2 turn of the adjuster and this seems to be pretty close, maybe a bit too much. I'll have to get the car out on the freeway to really tell. Maybe 1/3 turn is what it needed. I'll report back when I get it tuned in. I think for most people this has to be a trial and error thing. It's pretty esy to do, no need to go to a shop for this work. This can give you an idea of where to start.

Last edited:

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Here is mine:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on 2-door Sport 691520F9-E14F-4BC7-9D44-9CBED735EB02

BEFORE:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on 2-door Sport 691520F9-E14F-4BC7-9D44-9CBED735EB02

Front springs are 59/60 and rear are 91/92 and Fox shocks. I'll post up measurement after it settles a little...

Don't use my spring combination unless you have a lot of weight in the back... I have 120lbs of audio equipment in the trunk, plus the heavier spare.

Yes, I trimmed that stupid liner so I could access the bolt comfortably! Lol

Lol i have a fridge and an 80LB battery is the 90/91 the heaviest combo?

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lol i have a fridge and an 80LB battery is the 90/91 the heaviest combo?
You can always source springs from a Diesel Rubicon, those will net another inch of lift.

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! Not sure if theirs a firmer/taller spring...
Part of me was thinking if i could run the AEV rear coils and rubicon front ones, since i tow as well, then am going to do falcon 2.1s

received_1271158326585276.jpeg

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation