OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
so I think I’m actually just going to pull the 1/2” spacers off the front for now. It’s riding just slightly higher in the front and I want to ride level. I’m a drummer and haul my kit in the back all the time too which adds to rear weight frequently. Thanks again for the write up and all the great recommendations! I did go with the longer LCAs which I’m very happy with. Rides great!
Rock-on!
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on 2-door Sport 1619565354970
Sponsored

Dr.Groove

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Occupation
Musician
ha! I’m a drummer too, nice. One more quick question. I have some pretty significant dips in my dirt driveway. Got home today and when the Jeep was articulating over them I heard some pretty significant pops and shifts coming from the front. Then again on turning heavy to the right to back in. Is that just things settling? She was riding butter smooth on the highway and around town. I did a quick look and it seems like the springs are locked into place. We made sure to tighten everything to spec (went with 150ftlbs on the LCAs). Any guesses? Thanks again!

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ha! I’m a drummer too, nice. One more quick question. I have some pretty significant dips in my dirt driveway. Got home today and when the Jeep was articulating over them I heard some pretty significant pops and shifts coming from the front. Then again on turning heavy to the right to back in. Is that just things settling? She was riding butter smooth on the highway and around town. I did a quick look and it seems like the springs are locked into place. We made sure to tighten everything to spec (went with 150ftlbs on the LCAs). Any guesses? Thanks again!
There may have been some final settling, also you want those LCAs at 190 ft lbs, if you only have 150 ft lb torque wrench you can max that out and go another 90 degrees w/ a breaker bar to get you close.
I figured you'd appreciate the Neal Peart shot, saw them three times, wish I could see him one more time!

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

There may have been some final settling, also you want those LCAs at 190 ft lbs, if you only have 150 ft lb torque wrench you can max that out and go another 90 degrees w/ a breaker bar to get you close.
I figured you'd appreciate the Neal Peart shot, saw them three times, wish I could see him one more time!
That 190 ft lbs is tough to get but necessary. I replaced the front track bar on my TJ and did not torque it all the way (off by about 15 ft lbs) and had a death wobble experience that almost ended me in a concrete barrier. Make sure you are torquing all suspension components to their specs.

Dr.Groove

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Occupation
Musician
Update: Ended up going with 1/2" Treaflex rear spacers. One tin nice and clean and she's sitting perfect now. Also, I was getting this weird popping noise when articulating over some major potholes in my dirt driveway (it's an off-roading experience every time I come home! lol). Finally discovered that it was the air dam off the bottom of the bumper rubbing up against my front track bar (I think that's the pipe there). Did you have that happen too? or did you just remove that plastic air dam thing? I ended up removing it and shaving the plastic down a bit, no more pops.

tempImage228aEM.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Update: Ended up going with 1/2" Treaflex rear spacers. One tin nice and clean and she's sitting perfect now. Also, I was getting this weird popping noise when articulating over some major potholes in my dirt driveway (it's an off-roading experience every time I come home! lol). Finally discovered that it was the air dam off the bottom of the bumper rubbing up against my front track bar (I think that's the pipe there). Did you have that happen too? or did you just remove that plastic air dam thing? I ended up removing it and shaving the plastic down a bit, no more pops.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on 2-door Sport tempImage228aEM
Glad you're happy w/ the new stance. That appears to be that Euro piece between the bumper and fender. I removed mine w/ my steel bumper, I don't recall any contact there prior to that but there may have been??

Trekez2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I am installing a Rubicon suspension on my JLSS and have a quick question. Do the coils have a specific end that should go up? While installing I noticed the ends are close to the same but not exactly.
Anyone know for sure and how do I tell?
Thanks.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I am installing a Rubicon suspension on my JLSS and have a quick question. Do the coils have a specific end that should go up? While installing I noticed the ends are close to the same but not exactly.
Thanks.
How are the ends different ? Usually one end of the coil is squared off more than the other end. That squared off end will go down because the bottom isolator has a stop and the upper one does not. Also if one end the wound is larger , that end goes down. Got pic?

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
So the guy I bought my rubicon setup included all the control arms, the track bar and the tie rod. I haven't received my JL yet, so I have nothing to compare them to. From what I've read here so far is the control arms are the same. Does anyone know about the track bar and tie rod?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So the guy I bought my rubicon setup included all the control arms, the track bar and the tie rod. I haven't received my JL yet, so I have nothing to compare them to. From what I've read here so far is the control arms are the same. Does anyone know about the track bar and tie rod?
Everything is identical except the shocks & springs, can just throw those in your shed if & when you may need them though. Also the end links are a wear item so it's good to have an extra set of them.

I would consider adding the Mopar lift LCAs though to keep your caster in the 6 degree range.

Sponsored

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Everything is identical except the shocks & springs, can just throw those in your shed if & when you may need them though. Also the end links are a wear item so it's good to have an extra set of them.

I would consider adding the Mopar lift LCAs though to keep your caster in the 6 degree range.
Thanks! Thats good to know because the ball joint on the track bar I got is ripped. I'll probably toss that now and keep the other stuff as spares until I decide to upgrade. Who has the best place for the longer LCAs?

Trekez2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Retired
How are the ends different ? Usually one end of the coil is squared off more than the other end. That squared off end will go down because the bottom isolator has a stop and the upper one does not. Also if one end the wound is larger , that end goes down. Got pic?
Thanks.
I ended up using the end that fit best around the upper cone shaped isolator. I never heard anyone mention that it would make any difference. I haven’t seen anything in installation instructions either.
Anyway I just went ahead and installed what seemed like the best fit and of course indexing properly on the uppers. I’ll try it out tomorrow.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

EdSoCal81

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Sorry if this has been asked a million times. Can’t help but have some reservation about doing the rubicon installation myself (springs, shocks) along with teraflex spacer 1/2inch and mopar longer lca. I have a floor jack, two jack stands (up to 18”), impact wrench and sockets.
I have done coilover installation on a miata before. I guess I’m just seeking reassurance lol

thanks for listening
Sponsored