Rubicon Suspension on 2-door Sport

JLTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited 2.0
I'd expect pretty decent lift from that set, all your springs are the same as mine except you have a 60 instead of my 59 (and a 4door). I would expect about a 1.5" to 1.75" lift if you were stock. With your steel upgrades and the winch I would expect a 1/4" drop in back and a 1/2" drop in front. I think I would go with a 3/4" spacer in front and see how you like it. If you need a bit more in back you could add a 1/2" in back at a later date. That's what I'd do :)
Thanks for the quick reply! I've read that the rear springs/shocks are easier to work on than the front so that's a good idea to go more aggressive on the front spacer to start with. That way I can catch the rear up to the front if need be, and not the other way around.

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I just got back from a 2000 mile trip right after putting in my springs/shocks and LCAs. The ride seems the same, maybe less bouncy at speed. The steering is plenty stable at highway speeds. Freeways that I drove on had speed limits of 70 and 75. My daughter drove a section of I-70 in Utah with 80 mph speed limit and the car did well. She thought she was driving 81 but my GAIA iphone app said we were going actual speed of almost 84 with the larger Rubicon tires on my Sport. We did a lot of dirt roads and then the fun and games of going over Elephant Hill. Everything stayed connected.

JLTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited 2.0
The 3/4" spacers I ordered for the front ended up being on back order. So I ended up going with Teraflex 1/2" spacers front and rear along with the Rubicon takeoffs. @blnewt it's almost like you had a crystal ball for the results I'd get HaHa The set up leveled out the front end side to side. I gained 1.5" in front and about 1.75" inches in back. If I would've done the 3/4" spacers in the front it would have been a perfect 1.75" lift all the way around. I actually really like the way it looks and I dont mind the slight rake! I've only driven it a few miles so far but it definitely feels like a firmer ride in a good way. The Jeep is less floaty and seems more level around turns etc. Once I've driven it for a while I'll see if it settles and I'll remeasure. Next job is to install the new longer LCA's. Thanks a lot for making this post and your advice!

20210416_103921.jpg

20210416_001136.jpg

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The 3/4" spacers I ordered for the front ended up being on back order. So I ended up going with Teraflex 1/2" spacers front and rear along with the Rubicon takeoffs. @blnewt it's almost like you had a crystal ball for the results I'd get HaHa The set up leveled out the front end side to side. I gained 1.5" in front and about 1.75" inches in back. If I would've done the 3/4" spacers in the front it would have been a perfect 1.75" lift all the way around. I actually really like the way it looks and I dont mind the slight rake! I've only driven it a few miles so far but it definitely feels like a firmer ride in a good way. The Jeep is less floaty and seems more level around turns etc. Once I've driven it for a while I'll see if it settles and I'll remeasure. Next job is to install the new longer LCA's. Thanks a lot for making this post and your advice!

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on 2-door Sport 20210416_001136

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension on 2-door Sport 20210416_001136
Glad it worked out well for you Tony, looks really nice w/ those Duratracs, look forward to your impressions after you get the LCAs on too. Nice work!

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Glad it worked out well for you Tony, looks really nice w/ those Duratracs, look forward to your impressions after you get the LCAs on too. Nice work!
I can't say enough about the drastic change in driving characteristics from such a small difference between the stock LCA's and the Mopar extended LCA's. @blnewt was right all along!

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I can't say enough about the drastic change in driving characteristics from such a small difference between the stock LCA's and the Mopar extended LCA's. @blnewt was right all along!
Glad you're happy w/ the change, too bad Jeep dropped the ball and didn't put those LCAs on stock Rubicons. Probably would have cost FCA just a buck or two since it's just a bit more metal, and cost them some bad press for steering wander, and no doubt some sales too!

Dr.Groove

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Occupation
Musician
finally did the whole swap! LCAs too. I did add a 1/2” teraflex spacer to the front and I think it was too much. I ordered 1/2” rears to level it out. Would you recommend keeping the spacers or just going no spacers at all and removing the front spacers? Thanks again!

Dr.Groove

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Occupation
Musician
Pic with just front spacers. You can see it sits higher up front, not a fan. Think I should add 1/2” in the rear or remove the 1/2” in the front? Or both?

0F82499A-3FE9-4392-9CD3-44C5A8D9073D.jpeg

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Add rear spacers, prob 3/4"

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Or add a winch/steel bumper :)

Sponsored

Dr.Groove

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Occupation
Musician
Haha steel bumper is on the list but not for quite a while. And I want to sit level until then.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Haha steel bumper is on the list but not for quite a while. And I want to sit level until then.
If your plans are to add more weight in front, then yes, just a rear spacer to get it where you want for the time being.

Dr.Groove

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Occupation
Musician
Considering all other things are equal, are the Rubicon shocks softer or stiffer than the Sport/Sahara? Shocks only, not springs.
The ride seems to have a little more smoothness to it actually.

Dr.Groove

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Occupation
Musician
If your plans are to add more weight in front, then yes, just a rear spacer to get it where you want for the time being.
so I think I’m actually just going to pull the 1/2” spacers off the front for now. It’s riding just slightly higher in the front and I want to ride level. I’m a drummer and haul my kit in the back all the time too which adds to rear weight frequently. Thanks again for the write up and all the great recommendations! I did go with the longer LCAs which I’m very happy with. Rides great!
Sponsored