OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Lots of great info in this thread, thanks to all who posted. Recently got a take off jlur take off from rubitrux, as no one local to me had anything. Springs are 3658AD, 3659AD, 3589AA, 3590AA. Going in a no option 4 door sport. Should I look for higher spring numbers or did things change for the 2021 models. I see 2 take off sets for sale in the marketplace, with same spring numbers. Both hardtop jlur one is 2.0 one is 3.6.
Those are pretty short springs for using on a 4dr, wouldn't expect more than a 1" lift there :(
Would be good for a 2dr though.
I'd look for springs 1 to 2 numbers higher on each spring for best lift on your 4dr.
Sponsored

Mongo84

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sport
Thank you Brad, I did end up finding some springs that were just that, that I was able to buy separately. Will compare them when they arrive!

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Mongo84

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sport
Correct not sure I put the same side springs next to each other so it might be scewed slightly. But definitely noticeable.

Sponsored

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2021
Here's my quick write-up of the LCA swap, took me about an hour since I didn't use my impact. Link for LCA is here and you need two!
https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/68322798aa.html
IMO Ramps are best for getting this swapped out, makes it much easier to have decent range for your breaker bar. My ghetto ramps (1 sheet of stacked OSB makes 2 ramps, much stronger than pressed steel ramps) lift about 6" which is fine for this project. And they stack well for a small storage footprint.
IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

One thing you notice is the new LCAs have a different bushing design, the older ones had an outer rubber seal, the new ones have the seal inward. Also like others have mentioned, the new LCAs are heavier, so they must have seen a need for a more rigid bar.
IMG_0281.JPG

Only tools you I used was 13/16" socket, 15/16" box end wrench, 15mm socket, torque wrench, breaker bar, and a cheat pipe (the handle for my floor jack). FWIW the SAE size sockets are a perfect fit on the bolts/nuts, the 21mm and 24mm that have been used by others ARE NOT a tight fit, and there's been at least one install that I read that had stripped the bolt head, so use those 13/16" sockets especially!

IMG_0282.JPG

Also a spray of PB blast a day before will help to break the nuts. I only had to use the cheat pipe on my rear passenger side bolt, all others broke w/ just the breaker bar.

Remove brake line bracket w/ 15mm socket.

Not sure if the angled load from the ramps shifted things a bit, but I didn't have to move or pry on anything to get the new longer LCAs installed, the bolt holes lined right up. Removing the bolts from the original LCAs did require just unscrewing them to slowly get them out as they were binding a bit.

I used my 150 ft. lb torque wrench maxed out, then used my breaker bar for another 45 degrees of final torque to tighten the four bolts.

Caster looks to be in the 6 degree range, and steers just as it did prior to my Rubicon spring swap.
IMG_0288.JPG

Reinstall brake bracket, and drive it like you stole it!
I’m looking to do the same in my 21’ rubicon diesel. Can you let me know if I need relocation brackets for the mopar longer LCA’s from the lift kit or is this a straight swap on same bracket locations?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m looking to do the same in my 21’ rubicon diesel. Can you let me know if I need relocation brackets for the mopar longer LCA’s from the lift kit or is this a straight swap on same bracket locations?
Not sure if the diesel uses all the same parts, I would think they'd be the same, but if you add a lift to your Rubicon you may want adjustable LCAs as your caster will probably still be too low after you lift w/ the new LCAs (depending how much you lift).

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if the diesel uses all the same parts, I would think they'd be the same, but if you add a lift to your Rubicon you may want adjustable LCAs as your caster will probably still be too low after you lift w/ the new LCAs (depending how much you lift).

Ideally i will not lift. My annoyance at this point is due to a right pull that drives me nuts. its my first jeep wrangler and i was hoping not to deal with what many call "its a jeep thing". all i want is to drive straight on the freeway. no issues with any dead spots actually just this right pull. reading all the write ups, it seems for my 21' diesel rubicon, the LCA swap may be the mirable ive been waiting and that the dealer doesnt seem to be able to fix. plus its a cheap fix and im willing to go and get it done instead of getting further pissed. love the beast and dont want to live with it since most of my drive is commute with weekend off roading.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ideally i will not lift. My annoyance at this point is due to a right pull that drives me nuts. its my first jeep wrangler and i was hoping not to deal with what many call "its a jeep thing". all i want is to drive straight on the freeway. no issues with any dead spots actually just this right pull. reading all the write ups, it seems for my 21' diesel rubicon, the LCA swap may be the mirable ive been waiting and that the dealer doesnt seem to be able to fix. plus its a cheap fix and im willing to go and get it done instead of getting further pissed. love the beast and dont want to live with it since most of my drive is commute with weekend off roading.
If you can verify that you have the same LCAs as non diesels, (should be stamped on the LCA~Mopar part #68250242AB) then the new 1/4" longer Mopar lift LCAs will work well for you since you don't plan any further lifting.

runklda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
The diesel LCA's are the same 24 inches that the rest of them use. I have a set in my garage from the take off set I got.

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The diesel LCA's are the same 24 inches that the rest of them use. I have a set in my garage from the take off set I got.
Thanks for the info!

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you replace with the longer mopar LCA off the 2” lift kit? Did it solve your problem of pulling to one side? (If that’s why you replaced them?)

also is there a need for a bracket relocating kit or is this a straight swap?

thanks for the info!

runklda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Did you replace with the longer mopar LCA off the 2” lift kit? Did it solve your problem of pulling to one side? (If that’s why you replaced them?)

also is there a need for a bracket relocating kit or is this a straight swap?

thanks for the info!
I never installed them since it still tracks fairly well, I did buy them to put on but now a month later ordered a Clayton OR kit instead.
it’s a straight swap, 4 bolts plus the brake line brackets.

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Here's my quick write-up of the LCA swap, took me about an hour since I didn't use my impact. Link for LCA is here and you need two!
https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/68322798aa.html
This item is over a year old, but help me out here....

It’s my understanding that increasing caster reduces the wandering tendency the JLs have, and a new pair of LCAs increase caster. So, seems like spending $80 for a pair of longer Mopar LCAs and an easy installation is time and money well spent to reduce wander. This should then alleviate much of the steering box upgrade.

What am I missing??

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This item is over a year old, but help me out here....

It’s my understanding that increasing caster reduces the wandering tendency the JLs have, and a new pair of LCAs increase caster. So, seems like spending $80 for a pair of longer Mopar LCAs and an easy installation is time and money well spent to reduce wander. This should then alleviate much of the steering box upgrade.

What am I missing??
The older Aluminum steering box is prone to more play in the steering especially at higher temps. This is a different condition than low caster, the higher caster will keep your wheels tracking straight at speed (even if you have the old box w/ excess play). Getting the new box w/ the longer LCAs is ideal (if you currently have caster 5 degrees or less). HTHs
Sponsored