a23persaud

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys (JLU)
Hey Bl,

I’m doing the Rubicon spring swap on my ‘21 JLU Willys this weekend! I’ve been watching the Mopar 2” lift install videos on YouTube to get comfortable with the suspension parts I’ll be removing.

Two questions came to mind off the bat:

1.) if I’m just swapping the springs and LCAs (Willys has Rubicon shocks), are there any suspensions parts I can leave in place during my install? For example, do I need to still fully remove the shocks in order to lower the axles?

2.) what specific bolts will I want to wait to torque down until the jeep is off of the jack stands and on it’s own weight? In the videos, they say the lug nuts on the tires and the LCA bolts. What is your opinion on this? Are there any other bolts in my suspension I need to torque down once the vehicle is on it’s own weight?

Thanks so much,
Andrew
Sponsored

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Here is an update on mine-
Rubicon springs gave me 1.5" lift in the front and the change in geometry causes the drag link to pull the axle slightly to the side which turns the steering wheel a little bit. I finally got around to trying to center my wheel. I shortened the tie rod piece from the steering arm by 1/2 turn of the adjuster and this seems to be pretty close, maybe a bit too much. I'll have to get the car out on the freeway to really tell. Maybe 1/3 turn is what it needed. I'll report back when I get it tuned in. I think for most people this has to be a trial and error thing. It's pretty esy to do, no need to go to a shop for this work. This can give you an idea of where to start.

Any updates on this? This happened to me too, but I haven't adjust the draglink yet.

My steering wheel is offcenter, slightly to the left. Do you adjust the draglink knob, to the back or to the front?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hey Bl,

I’m doing the Rubicon spring swap on my ‘21 JLU Willys this weekend! I’ve been watching the Mopar 2” lift install videos on YouTube to get comfortable with the suspension parts I’ll be removing.

Two questions came to mind off the bat:

1.) if I’m just swapping the springs and LCAs (Willys has Rubicon shocks), are there any suspensions parts I can leave in place during my install? For example, do I need to still fully remove the shocks in order to lower the axles?

2.) what specific bolts will I want to wait to torque down until the jeep is off of the jack stands and on it’s own weight? In the videos, they say the lug nuts on the tires and the LCA bolts. What is your opinion on this? Are there any other bolts in my suspension I need to torque down once the vehicle is on it’s own weight?

Thanks so much,
Andrew
Post #4 in this install thread is for the LCAs. Use ramps for the LCAs, still keeps the suspension loaded but leaves enough room to get leverage to remove & install those higher torque LCA bolts.
You will need to remove one shock bolt per shock to get more extension to lower the axles, and only the lower end of each end link.

Be sure to final torque the lug nuts to 130 ft. lbs, previous JK Jeeps used 1/2" (not the current 14mm) and were a lot lighter torque, around 90 ft lbs.

a23persaud

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys (JLU)
A
Post #4 in this install thread is for the LCAs. Use ramps for the LCAs, still keeps the suspension loaded but leaves enough room to get leverage to remove & install those higher torque LCA bolts.
You will need to remove one shock bolt per shock to get more extension to lower the axles, and only the lower end of each end link.

Be sure to final torque the lug nuts to 130 ft. lbs, previous JK Jeeps used 1/2" (not the current 14mm) and were a lot lighter torque, around 90 ft lbs.
Any ideas what we torque the LCAs to? I thought it was 190 under load once on the ground, but I’m seeing 103 + 50 degrees on the forum torque link you posted.

thanks

Knel6

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Clubs

A

Any ideas what we torque the LCAs to? I thought it was 190 under load once on the ground, but I’m seeing 103 + 50 degrees on the forum torque link you posted.

thanks
190 is what is listed in the Mopar lift instructions for front LCA’s

Sponsored

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
*update @blnewt

I had to buy a makita 1/2 mid torque impact wrench to break the bolts loose, and a few sprays of PB blasters.
Those suckers came off in 5 seconds.
Took an hour to install,

*** I didn’t have to use a ramp, I pushed the wheels rocking the axle back and forth to align the bolts in. I also would not suggest doing this without an impact or air wrench. The super f’n tight

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
*update @blnewt

I had to buy a makita 1/2 mid torque impact wrench to break the bolts loose, and a few sprays of PB blasters.
Those suckers came off in 5 seconds.
Took an hour to install,

*** I didn’t have to use a ramp, I pushed the wheels rocking the axle back and forth to align the bolts in. I also would not suggest doing this without an impact or air wrench. The super f’n tight
Keep in mind you do want the Jeep suspension loaded when getting those LCAs torqued down, I assume you were on the ground at that point.
Glad you got them off, then on :)

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Keep in mind you do want the Jeep suspension loaded when getting those LCAs torqued down, I assume you were on the ground at that point.
Glad you got them off, then on :)
Yes! The Jeep was 100% on ground (no floor jacks or jack stands were used)

I did have issues lining up the bolts on the driver side, so I rocked the wheels forward and back and was able to slide the bolt on.
The passenger-side just slid right in (not sure why I didn’t have to rock wheels)

Although I didn’t use my torque wrench, my Makita 1/2 impact delivers 520 ft/lb torque, and I used it at the 2nd lowest speed setting and hit it 5-10 seconds.

Ill be checking them in a few weeks to make sure they’re not loosening up.

aakelley

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 door
Really appreciate the original write up and the great thread. I completed this in about 4 hours on my 2018 bone stock JL sport and didn't have any issues. It drives better than before...and looks a whole lot better!

Only surprise was that it now sits about 3/4 higher in the front than the back, even though I had 90/91 in the rear and 59/60 in the front. I di plan to get a bumper and a winch, so I guess that will sort itself out. Got about 2.5 lift in the rear and a little over 3 in the front (including the inch or so from the larger tires).

IMG_5175.jpeg

IMG_5169.jpeg

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Really appreciate the original write up and the great thread. I completed this in about 4 hours on my 2018 bone stock JL sport and didn't have any issues. It drives better than before...and looks a whole lot better!

Only surprise was that it now sits about 3/4 higher in the front than the back, even though I had 90/91 in the rear and 59/60 in the front. I di plan to get a bumper and a winch, so I guess that will sort itself out. Got about 2.5 lift in the rear and a little over 3 in the front (including the inch or so from the larger tires).
Nice job Chris, did you also get the longer LCAs?

Sponsored

davis53

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
From what I am reading, to change the LCA, you can leave the Jeep on the ground and unbolt the existing LCA and replace it with the longer one?

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
From what I am reading, to change the LCA, you can leave the Jeep on the ground and unbolt the existing LCA and replace it with the longer one?
thats correct. I found myself having to use a box wrench, and ratchet + socket, + 1/2 impact to break the bolts.

davis53

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
thats correct. I found myself having to use a box wrench, and ratchet + socket, + 1/2 impact to break the bolts.
Thanks, I am going to give it a try. It seems like the axle would shift.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation