Rubicon Suspension Missing Tags

jerseydelt

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
I recently acquired a Rubicon take off suspension and realized that the two front springs do not have their tags on them. Is there another way to determine which side of the Jeep they go on?
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I recently acquired a Rubicon take off suspension and realized that the two front springs do not have their tags on them. Is there another way to determine which side of the Jeep they go on?
They might be engraved somewhere. If not, measure them. The longer spring goes on passenger side

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You may measure the diameter of the spring steel with calipers. The drivers side is slightly thinner in cross section diameter. Make several measurements to account for anomalies such as paint thickness or minor deformations, before you determine which is which.

OP
OP
jerseydelt

jerseydelt

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
They might be engraved somewhere. If not, measure them. The longer spring goes on passenger side
I don't see any engravings, but I can definitely measure them, thanks for the help!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
You may measure the diameter of the spring steel with calipers. The drivers side is slightly thinner in cross section diameter. Make several measurements to account for anomalies such as paint thickness or minor deformations, before you determine which is which.
I haven't actually checked this, so I could be totally wrong... but from a production standpoint it would make sense to change wire diameter/material as least as possible, and instead change the number of wraps/free length.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
You should check this.

:)
Battery was dead in my digital caliper, but the measurements are just a little under 15mm on each side (like 14.75ish). There is no way that I would use this method to try and determine which side is correct, as the finish/road grime/metal inconsistencies could all lead to fraction of a millimeter difference.

Spring numbers are
Front: 68250232AB / 68250233AB
Rear: 68249114AA / 68249115AA

Front spring photos are below, didn't take photos of the rear (hot muffler) but they were the same diameter on each side too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension Missing Tags PXL_20210527_002223061

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension Missing Tags PXL_20210527_002316114

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
You could try putting a weigh on the spring and measuring the length. The one thats longer with the same weight goes on passenger. But I dont know how much weight you would need to get a somewhat accurate measurement and it can get very dangerous if it doesnt work with smallish weights. Maybe a shop who works on suspension can figure it out for you by loading the spring with some proper device?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
You could try putting a weigh on the spring and measuring the length. The one thats longer with the same weight goes on passenger. But I dont know how much weight you would need to get a somewhat accurate measurement and it can get very dangerous if it doesnt work with smallish weights. Maybe a shop who works on suspension can figure it out for you by loading the spring with some proper device?
Has anyone ever actually confirmed that each part number is actually a different spring rate? I'm sure there are some different spring rates (like 2-door vs. Diesel), but is the rate of a 667 actually different from a 666? The difference could just be the free length.

To make things more complicated, the OP could have the same front springs on both sides depending on the original Jeep's options.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Battery was dead in my digital caliper, ...
There is no way that I would use this method...
I would not use that caliper either. I measured this clean example of a set of Rubicon take off springs, that do have the OEM tags, with a trust worthy caliper, and the results seemed very easy to recognize.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension Missing Tags Springs_800x

As had been mentioned, the passenger springs also seem to be a little bit longer in length. I used a carpenters' tape to roughly estimate that the length differed by about 1/4".

Last edited:

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Question > Answer

From a thread titled "Spring Rates": https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/spring-rates.16491/post-403896

We have posted it in a few other threads so here's a copy and paste from that...

...stock springs...

“JLU Sport - 114/121 Front 171/174 Rear

JLU Rubicon - 123/128 Front 172/176 Rear

Mopar 2" Coils Lift - 131/133 Front 180/182 Rear...

...The stock coils were dyno'd in house as well as at our spring supplier for confirmation of accuracy of rates."

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I would not use that caliper either. I measured this clean example of a set of Rubicon take off springs, that do have the OEM tags, with a trust worthy caliper, and the results seemed very easy to recognize.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Suspension Missing Tags Springs_800x

As had been mentioned, the passenger springs also seem to be a little bit longer in length. I used a carpenters' tape to roughly estimate that the length differed by about 1/4".

yeah when I installed my springs I measured them and the passenger side was indeed slightly longer

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
It’s easy if you can get the VIN. You could get the numbers for each corner. I guess that’s not a possibility though.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Post #11 in that thread states that those numbers are a range depending on options, rather than a driver/passenger rate.

the 2 numbers are the min/max for how Jeep would set up the vehicle based on options.
And yeah, I have already ordered a new caliper... It's time to upgrade that POS.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Post #11 in that thread states that those numbers are a range depending on options, rather than a driver/passenger rate.
In actuality, the statement in post number 11 does not preclude that the rates differ.

:)
Sponsored