Rubicon stock brake pad life

BigBarrett

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
How many miles did you guys get out of stock rubicon brake pads while using bigger tires?
Sponsored

nle

First Name
Nov
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Curious here too since I have some squeaking w 35s at 12k miles

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I have 50k on my sport brakes with 35s and 37s its whole life and im probably less than half. I have new ones ready to go just havent needed them

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm close to 38k on the factory Rubicon pads now. At a few thousand miles in, I started noticing a light squeaking that went away after some warmth from a couple of stops. At about the 12k mark, I switched to 315 ko2's on an otherwise stock jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon stock brake pad life 20190816_173314

I added the Dynatrac 2" lift a couple k later. At about 25k, I switched to 38x13.5's.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon stock brake pad life Screenshot_20200410-194111_Gallery

At about 32k, I switched to the Metalcloak 3.5" lift. Now at 38k, I've noticed the cold squeak isn't going away with some warmth and an intermittent screach has begun. I decided to take the advice of a number of members here, and just ordered the powerstop z36 pads and their extreme duty drilled and slotted rotors. It comes as a full package, with all associated hardware and lube, from rockauto. About $400 including shipping and tax. I chose the cheapest FedEx shipping and its still gonna be on my front porch in under a week from ordering.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 has about 30K miles, 16K miles with 37's. The brake pads still have about 1/2 the pad left (a little more on the rears). I'm actually impressed with the life of the stock Rubicon pads. They seem like they'd last a good 50-60k miles.

I have a Power Stop front and rear brake kit (pads and rotors) waiting to install. Wanted to upgrade the braking system due to larger/heavier tires.

I too have had squealing/squeaking brakes, occurred at about the 10k mile mark. I disassembled the brakes and found all of the slide points and back of the pads to be DRY. I lubed those areas with Sil-Glyde and the brakes have been quiet ever since.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you want to get the complete rotor & pad set that's not a bad thing, but I would just go with the Powerstop pads as long as your OEM rotors aren't warped (which is rare) or the thickness is down to the minimum spec. Should be able to get a couple machine turns w/ the stock rotors. You can also just scrub the rotors w/ some 3m pads if your pad deposits aren't burned on and aren't noticing vibration in the wheel when braking. Should be able to score those pads on rockauto for about $80 :like:
Sponsored