Rubicon steel bumper weight

Rubicon jl

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Just wondering if anyone happens to know the weight of the factory steel bumper. Thinking of going with an aluminum bumper to save weight
Sponsored

Dmk679

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 4Dr
I just took mine off to install a winch plate and winch. I'd say it was around 40 to 45lb. This isn't exact but my ballpark estimate.

Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Occupation
Dad
The shipping weight from big Q is 78 pounds.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Just wondering if anyone happens to know the weight of the factory steel bumper. Thinking of going with an aluminum bumper to save weight
The knock off ones on Ebay that look original are supposedly heavier than the original.

Also the factory steel bumper isn't heavy. One adult can carry two if they can grip and balance. An extra passenger would weigh more. So unless you're taking the weight loss seriously and taking heaps more off, you're not going to notice a difference with less than 2% weight difference against without it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rubicon jl

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
The knock off ones on Ebay that look original are supposedly heavier than the original.

Also the factory steel bumper isn't heavy. One adult can carry two if they can grip and balance. An extra passenger would weigh more. So unless you're taking the weight loss seriously and taking heaps more off, you're not going to notice a difference with less than 2% weight difference against without it.
Thanks

Respo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
53lbs for the stubby part. 16lbs for the skid plate. 17lbs for the pair of full length outers.
What does the standard plastic weigh?

Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dad
About 28 pounds, I think.

Respo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
About 28 pounds, I think.
Do you think the steel will make the front end of my Mojave gladiator droop at all with the added 30-40 pounds weight?

Sponsored

Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dad
Technically, yes. Any added weight will compress your suspension a given amount.

In reality you probably wouldn’t notice if that is the only weight you are adding up front.

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Do you think the steel will make the front end of my Mojave gladiator droop at all with the added 30-40 pounds weight?

Also bear in mind on the wrangler at least, not sure if it's different for the gladiator. The steel bumper group receives stiffer springs in the suspension than the plastic bumper. So if you swap a plastic out for a steel bumper you will more than likely notice some droop since you also do not have the stiffer springs that come with the steel bumper kit. Again not sure if this also holds true on the Gladiator, especially the Mojave.

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
I know this is an older thread, but how much of a sag would a steel bumper cause a High Tide since it has the XR package?

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I know this is an older thread, but how much of a sag would a steel bumper cause a High Tide since it has the XR package?
Oem steel bumper on its own? Not much. However when you add a winch and mounting plate it will bring it down for sure.
Not apples to apples, considering my LOD signature series stubby and skid are SUBSTANTIALLY heavier with thicker material than the OEM rubicon steel bumper and skid, but I lost at minimum an inch on my JLURD with the bumper and 12k winch.
Sponsored