Rubicon Springs on Sahara

Lgharr

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLU Sahara, 2013 Ninja 650r
Lots of people posting here put Rubi springs on their rigs and then spacers. I'm just looking to fit 33's under my Sahara nicely, so thinking of doing just the spring/shock swap. My uses don't require a big lift at this point. In general, it seems people have gotten just under an inch doing something like that, but I just want to confirm that.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Lots of people posting here put Rubi springs on their rigs and then spacers. I'm just looking to fit 33's under my Sahara nicely, so thinking of doing just the spring/shock swap. My uses don't require a big lift at this point. In general, it seems people have gotten just under an inch doing something like that, but I just want to confirm that.
Was a bone stock hardtop Sahara here. Put on a Rubi hardtop, steel bumper, tow group set of springs along with the shocks and got precisely 1” lift up front and .750” out back. Modest. Unless you’re going off road, you probably don’t need any of that. If you are and you’re disconnecting, you might need more than that.

Lgharr

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLU Sahara, 2013 Ninja 650r
Was a bone stock hardtop Sahara here. Put on a Rubi hardtop, steel bumper, tow group set of springs along with the shocks and got precisely 1” lift up front and .750” out back. Modest. Unless you’re going off road, you probably don’t need any of that. If you are and you’re disconnecting, you might need more than that.
That is great, thank you. I will be going off road, but only moderately. I doubt I'll be disconnecting anything at this point, I don't plan on doing anything too crazy... yet.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That is great, thank you. I will be going off road, but only moderately. I doubt I'll be disconnecting anything at this point, I don't plan on doing anything too crazy... yet.
You will be good to go on 33’s off road then if you aren’t disconnecting the sway bar up front. If you do want to disconnect later, the new Apex Autolynx is something to look at. Very easy to disconnect and reconnect with no electric or air required. Just turn a knob a 1/4 turn for better traction and ride off road. That’s when getting a Rubi suspension on there with the 33’s would shine.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Someone local has this takeoff set of Rubicon shocks and springs from a 2020 Rubicon Unlimited with under 3000 miles. No other information was provided. I've got a 2018 JLSU with take-off Rubicon wheels and I've put on a steel bumper.

What questions should I ask the seller? Are there specific model numbers that I should ask about?

Also, what's a fair price for this kit?
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Springs on Sahara Screenshot_20210225-074827_Facebook

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Someone local has this takeoff set of Rubicon shocks and springs from a 2020 Rubicon Unlimited with under 3000 miles. No other information was provided. I've got a 2018 JLSU with take-off Rubicon wheels and I've put on a steel bumper.

What questions should I ask the seller? Are there specific model numbers that I should ask about?

Also, what's a fair price for this kit?
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Springs on Sahara Screenshot_20210225-074827_Facebook
I’d ask for pics of each springs part number (the white tag, not green). For steel bumper, iirc, you want at least a 60/61 combo up front. It’s common belief that the higher number, the better due to the numbers being usually offered on higher optioned Rubicons. The best I’ve seen for a gas Rubicon up front is 62/62 (the last two digits of the part number). It’s more common to see a staggered 61/62, 60,61 though. Out back, I’d look for 90/91 min. 91/92 would be nice and is very likely from a hardtop, steel bumper, tow group Rubicon.

I’d offer $150 for the springs and shocks only. Max $200 if you want it right now and be done with it. Your leverage is you don’t need everything. Don’t let on they have the “desirable” part number springs.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’d ask for pics of each springs part number (the white tag, not green). For steel bumper, iirc, you want at least a 60/61 combo up front. It’s common belief that the higher number, the better due to the numbers being usually offered on higher optioned Rubicons. The best I’ve seen for a gas Rubicon up front is 62/62 (the last two digits of the part number). It’s more common to see a staggered 61/62, 60,61 though. Out back, I’d look for 90/91 min. 91/92 would be nice and is very likely from a hardtop, steel bumper, tow group Rubicon.

I’d offer $150 for the springs and shocks only. Max $200 if you want it right now and be done with it. Your leverage is you don’t need everything. Don’t let on they have the “desirable” part number springs.
Two more suggestion while you are swapping... I’d put in a small spacer all around to offset weight added up front and loading in the rear. I didn’t and thought I was fine with just the springs. Then I decided to add things later. A 1/2” or 3/4” spacer won’t require new shocks and your caster will be within spec.

The second, for $70-80 get the Mopar longer control arms. Even if you didn’t lift it it is a great addition making Highway driving more pleasant giving you better tracking, less minor corrections.

With those parts you avoid the slippery slope of more major mods and stock suspension parts will work great.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara

I heard back from the seller. The set above are 59/60 and 90/91.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I heard back from the seller. The set above are 59/60 and 90/91.
I’d prefer finding higher numbers (especially the front) when looking for stock springs. They’re out there and it took me a couple of weeks to find mine. I just kept looking on Marketplace etc.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I’d prefer finding higher numbers (especially the front) when looking for stock springs. They’re out there and it took me a couple of weeks to find mine. I just kept looking on Marketplace etc.
I agree. Climb under your Sahara and check your current spring numbers. You'll want to move up at least a number at each corner, preferably 2 or more if possible. I've seen at least one instance where a forum member reported buying Rubicon springs and receiving the same front springs as those already installed from the factory.

Sponsored

HHDUTCHMAN

First Name
Hylke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Camry SE. ‘14 Odyssey EX-L
I picked up a Rubicon take off set yesterday. Diesel, hardtop, steel bumpers, and tow package I believe. He also included a track bar and steering stabilizer. All for $50!

Spring#
3668 (2)
3602 (2)

It will be installed on a JLU Willys that’s still on order

I’m really curious how much lift I’ll get.
I will add the Mopar LCAs and a spacer in the rear to address rake.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I picked up a Rubicon take off set yesterday. Diesel, hardtop, steel bumpers, and tow package I believe. He also included a track bar and steering stabilizer. All for $50!

Spring#
3668 (2)
3602 (2)

It will be installed on a JLU Willys that’s still on order

I’m really curious how much lift I’ll get.
I will add the Mopar LCAs and a spacer in the rear to address rake.
That’ll definitely be interesting. I’m concerned the front will ride high since a diesel is about 400 lbs more iirc over the nose vs the 2.0 and 3.6. I’m curious about the ride too. Keep us posted.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
  • AA, AB, AC, etc. are the versions of the part number (AA being produced first, AB is the first revision, etc.)
  • The tow package & steel bumper doesn't necessarily mean the 61/62 & 91/92 combo, other factors have an effect (like hard vs soft top). See the chart below.
  • It's really high. I don't recall the number, but it's over 100 lb-ft.
  • contact @AllMoparParts.com for build details

This is only a partial list. I stopped trying to keep track about a year ago.
1.PNG
Here is another oddball for the list. I have a ‘21 Rubicon we just bought and I crawled under it and found a set of 89/90 in the rear. Since it came with Sahara side steps, I was suspicious someone swapped in their Sahara parts before trading. Nope. I just verified with Benny with Allmoparparts here that my VIN came with 58/59 up front and 89/90 out back. Damn. I thought it looked a smidge low. Our Rubicon is factory equipped with hardtop, tow, and steel bumper, verified with the build sheet.

I bet the parts bin was out of the correct Rubicon springs on the assembly line so they threw in Sahara springs.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Here is another oddball for the list. I have a ‘21 Rubicon we just bought and I crawled under it and found a set of 89/90 in the rear. Since it came with Sahara side steps, I was suspicious someone swapped in their Sahara parts before training. Nope. I just verified with Benny with Allmoparparts here that my VIN came with 58/59 up front and 89/90 out back. Damn. I thought it looked a smidge low. Our Rubicon is factory equipped with hardtop, tow, and steel bumper, verified with the build sheet.

I bet the parts bin was out of the correct Rubicon springs on the assembly line so they threw in Sahara springs.
that is interesting that it came w/ shorter springs vs. prior years. Maybe that's standard issue now? Maybe that's the way they're keeping Caster in check, lol.
Congrats on the new Rubi btw, any plans for it in the near future?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
that is interesting that it came w/ shorter springs vs. prior years. Maybe that's standard issue now? Maybe that's the way they're keeping Caster in check, lol.
Congrats on the new Rubi btw, any plans for it in the near future?
It’s the wife’s and she made ME promise to keep it stock…as she now mentions grab handles, carpet protection for the back, and a phone holder. (I’m thinking I can sneak some 67 Designs in that way lol.)
Sponsored