jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have read through this thread and several others on here, which have been very informative. I have a few questions before I go ahead and install everything for my given scenario.. first Jeep, all stock DD JL Sahara w/ hardtop. My goal is to keep OEM wheels tires and to level the approximate 1.5” of rake:

- Factory installed springs: Rear-89,90 Front-58,59
- Rubicon Takeoff’s: Rear- 89,90 Front- 59,60

Considering my Sahara has the same P/N rear springs already installed I would leave those, install rubicon shocks, and the ride height will be exactly the same for the rear?

The front springs only go up 1 number per side which I recall reading somewhere ends up raising the height about 1/2”. Is this what I should expect? I would want to add a 1/2” spacer to remove a little more rake to achieve my level look I want.

Last question. I love the factory ride on Sahara equipment, it’s what made me finally purchase a Jeep on the new redesign. Everywhere I’ve read the ride change is a bit firmer, but not harsh. Could anyone elaborate? Also expect to drop 1/2 highway MPG’s?

Thanks in advance
Everything you say sounds correct. The ride to me is firmer on road (was for my Sport). It's not a big change, but I slightly preferred the stock Sport ride on road but it's close enough it could be all in my head. Off the pavement there is no comparison - the Rubicon suspension is superior. It sucks up washboards and bumps that threw the Jeep all over the place with the Sport suspension.

I guess I don't see the point of this swap. You have a ride you like and it won't get you any height to speak of. Why not get a 3/4" or 1" spacer for the front to level it and call it a day? Otherwise it seems like a lot of work for no gain.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have read through this thread and several others on here, which have been very informative. I have a few questions before I go ahead and install everything for my given scenario.. first Jeep, all stock DD JL Sahara w/ hardtop. My goal is to keep OEM wheels tires and to level the approximate 1.5” of rake:

- Factory installed springs: Rear-89,90 Front-58,59
- Rubicon Takeoff’s: Rear- 89,90 Front- 59,60

Considering my Sahara has the same P/N rear springs already installed I would leave those, install rubicon shocks, and the ride height will be exactly the same for the rear?

The front springs only go up 1 number per side which I recall reading somewhere ends up raising the height about 1/2”. Is this what I should expect? I would want to add a 1/2” spacer to remove a little more rake to achieve my level look I want.

Last question. I love the factory ride on Sahara equipment, it’s what made me finally purchase a Jeep on the new redesign. Everywhere I’ve read the ride change is a bit firmer, but not harsh. Could anyone elaborate? Also expect to drop 1/2 highway MPG’s?

Thanks in advance
That’s the lowest rear Rubicon numbers I’ve seen so far and highest Sahara rears at the same time. You’re only getting one spring that’s higher in the set. I assume you got the shocks too otherwise you could’ve bought one $60 spring new. I’m not even sure you’d get a 1/2” lift up front with such a small change. Maybe I’m wrong. If you do go with these takeoffs, you’d only need to move the 59 to the driver/left side, install the 60 on the right, and put your front Rubi shocks in. Out back, yep, just install the shocks.

I’d sell the takeoffs you have and look for a [61/62, 91/92] set. To take out some rake while getting in the 1” lift ballpark based on other people’s feedback maybe a [61/62 ,90/91] set out back would get you where you want to be.

Abuckley1290

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Thank you for the recommendations and good info. For what it’s worth I think I’ll just put some front leveling spacers in and sell the take off suspension I purchased, the Sahara hardware should be more than enough for the little off road this Jeep will see.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thank you for the recommendations and good info. For what it’s worth I think I’ll just put some front leveling spacers in and sell the take off suspension I purchased, the Sahara hardware should be more than enough for the little off road this Jeep will see.
Probably a good plan, but the Rubicon shocks are a nice upgrade IMO. And agree about earlier reply, those appear to be the tallest springs I've heard on a Sahara, are you the first owner or did you get it used?

Abuckley1290

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Probably a good plan, but the Rubicon shocks are a nice upgrade IMO. And agree about earlier reply, those appear to be the tallest springs I've heard on a Sahara, are you the first owner or did you get it used?
It was a dealer rental vehicle, so essentially I am the first owner with 6,000 miles on it when purchased. Just double checked the rear springs and they show 3590AA Passenger and 3589AA driver, I also do not have a tow package and I did think the amount of factory rake looked more than usual. I just ordered 3/4 RC front spacers, it will be tempting to install them with the larger springs though lol

Sponsored

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I got 2 dr sport and have the Rubicon suspension from a 4 door with a hardtop and tow package. I do have Mopar steel bumper which i am going to install, as well. Not sure if i will add steel bumper on the rear.
But the plan for now is to add spacers (1/2 inch) front and rear. Has anyone done a similar setup and what do you think of adding the spacers?
Do I need to add the rear spacers?
Also, will add new lower control arms.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I got 2 dr sport and have the Rubicon suspension from a 4 door with a hardtop and tow package. I do have Mopar steel bumper which i am going to install, as well. Not sure if i will add steel bumper on the rear.
But the plan for now is to add spacers (1/2 inch) front and rear. Has anyone done a similar setup and what do you think of adding the spacers?
Do I need to add the rear spacers?
Also, will add new lower control arms.
Sounds like a solid plan, no steel bumpers on mine, but that extra 1/2" F&R should keep it lifted just about right. What tire size are you running, or planning to run? I also added the longer LCAs and think they are a must when doing the Rubicon swap.

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Sounds like a solid plan, no steel bumpers on mine, but that extra 1/2" F&R should keep it lifted just about right. What tire size are you running, or planning to run? I also added the longer LCAs and think they are a must when doing the Rubicon swap.
I received the new LCAs today and these are much more heavy duty than currently installed - totally worth it and a must.
And currently, i am running 255/70/18 (Sahara wheels/tires) and upgrade in future.
I was only going to put 1/2" spacers in front but i ordered the rear ones 1/2" - today but still unsure if i am need to put the rear spacers. I do also have steel rear bumper in plan but rear bumper is not heavy as front; so i may not need rear spaces.
Any opinions or suggestions if i should add 1/2" rear spacers.
(i'm not going to install that large of tires that will require 1/2' more space) .

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rears are easier to swap out, so having to do it over again isn't as bad as the front springs. Might want to add the spacers and see how you like it (if you add the rear steel bumper). If you keep the plastic bumper in back I'd leave the rear spacers out and see what you think regarding the new stance.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, rear is easy to swap. I'd still think you'll want to leave it off. Especially if you might have a winch in your future.

Sponsored

Abuckley1290

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I went up pretty much exactly 1/2” on the front with 1 digit higher springs on either side. Can’t speak for the rear as my take off’s had the same springs as mine came with.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I went up pretty much exactly 1/2” on the front with 1 digit higher springs on either side. Can’t speak for the rear as my take off’s had the same springs as mine came with.
What were the front spring part numbers?

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Hey everyone, I recently installed a complete set of Rubicon take off springs with the extended LCA's from the 2" MOPAR lift along with some Fox 2.0 IFP shocks. The ride is fantastic and substantially more planted than the stock JLU suspension that was replaced. I made sure to loosen every bolt for the suspension and properly torque everything on the ground with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension and after bouncing and rocking the Jeep side-to-side to settle everything in. I also double and triple checked that everything was properly seated as well.

With that said, I am dealing with a passenger lean issue after the suspension swap. My JLU is a 3.6/Automatic/Hardtop and the springs I got were from a Jeep with 3.6/Automatic/Hardtop/Steel Bumpers/Tow package. The springs I purchased are as follows:

Front:
6825 3661AC (DS Front)
6825 3662AC (PS Front)

Rear:
6825 3590AA (DS Rear)
6825 3591AA (PS Rear)

After putting the springs in the lean to the passenger side is pretty noticeable and i'm not sure what to do. Fuel does not seem to make much of a difference between a full and empty tank and the height difference. I have also checked and verified tire pressures to be equal across all tires. Suspension has been in for about three weeks with numerous trips to cycle the suspension and it is still remaining about the same as it was after install. Handling is fantastic now however with the extended LCA's. Jeep tracks straight and true and steering is tight and direct. Other than the lean issue I am pleased. Measurements to the same point on the flare side-to-side, front and rear are as follows:

Front:
37 7/8" (DS Front)
37 11/16" (PS Front)

Rear:
37 15/16" (DS Rear)
37 9/16" (PS Rear)

Any input or recommendations for this lean issue I am experiencing? Seems a bit excessive to me? Doesn't seem to affect handling at all but visually it looks goofy. Input welcomed!

Last edited:

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
Hey everyone, I recently installed a complete set of Rubicon take off springs with the extended LCA's from the 2" MOPAR lift along with some Fox 2.0 IFP shocks. The ride is fantastic and substantially more planted than the stock JLU suspension that was replaced. I made sure to loosen every bolt for the suspension and properly torque everything on the ground with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension and after bouncing and rocking the Jeep side-to-side to settle everything in. I also double and triple checked that everything was properly seated as well.

With that said, I am dealing with a passenger lean issue after the suspension swap. My JLU is a 3.6/Automatic/Hardtop and the springs I got were from a Jeep with 3.6/Automatic/Hardtop/Steel Bumpers/Tow package. The springs I purchased are as follows:

Front:
6825 3661AC (DS Front)
6825 3662AC (PS Front)

Rear:
6825 3590AA (DS Rear)
6825 3591AA (PS Rear)

After putting the springs in the lean to the passenger side is pretty noticeable and i'm not sure what to do. Fuel does not seem to make much of a difference between a full and empty tank and the height difference. I have also checked and verified tire pressures to be equal across all tires. Suspension has been in for about three weeks with numerous trips to cycle the suspension and it is still remaining about the same as it was after install. Handling is fantastic now however with the extended LCA's. Jeep tracks straight and true and steering is tight and direct. Other than the lean issue I am pleased. Measurements to the same point on the flare side-to-side, front and rear are as follows:

37 7/8" (DS Front)
37 11/16" (PS Front)

Rear:
37 15/16" (DS Rear)
37 9/16" (PS Rear)

Any input or recommendations for this lean issue I am experiencing? Seems a bit excessive to me? Doesn't seem to affect handling at all but visually it looks goofy. Input welcomed!

Did you make sure to put the higher spring numbers on the passenger side? ....only thing I can think of
Sponsored