First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE High Altitude
Occupation
Military
Considering just installing the rubicon shocks on my Sahara. No springs or anything else. Really want the red shocks on my JL.

Will that be fine? I should need a wheel alignment either because no high change correct?
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Considering just installing the rubicon shocks on my Sahara. No springs or anything else. Really want the red shocks on my JL.

Will that be fine? I should need a wheel alignment either because no high change correct?
Paint the ones you have. The Rubi shocks are longer and designer to go with the Rubi springs. You may be able to get away with it but the shocks will be in a more compressed state all the time since they are longer.

Last edited:

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Paint the ones you have. The Rubi shocks are longer and designer to go with the Rubi springs. You may be able to get away with it but the springs will be in a more compressed state all the time since they are longer.
Wouldn’t the stock Sahara springs be less compressed since the rubi shocks are taller/longer?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn’t the stock Sahara springs be less compressed since the rubi shocks are taller/longer?
It doesn't work that way. The spring holds the weight of the Jeep and will compress accordingly. The shock does nothing in terms of helping the spring be less compressed based on it's length, it simply cushions the compression otherwise you'd bounce all over the place.

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
It doesn't work that way. The spring holds the weight of the Jeep and will compress accordingly. The shock does nothing in terms of helping the spring be less compressed based on it's length, it simply cushions the compression otherwise you'd bounce all over the place.
I understand this but I am not familiar with the difference between the Sahara shocks and rubicon shocks besides color and length.

Compared to the Sahara shocks, Are the Rubi shocks harder to compress, are they softer? Do they rebound quicker or slower?

The rubi shocks on a stock Sahara may prove to beneficial or the opposite. Just cause they are longer doesn’t mean they are worse.

This is why I asked the question to see if someone out there has done this exact thing and seen any difference good or bad. Need some data lol

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I understand this but I am not familiar with the difference between the Sahara shocks and rubicon shocks besides color and length.

Compared to the Sahara shocks, Are the Rubi shocks harder to compress, are they softer? Do they rebound quicker or slower?

The rubi shocks on a stock Sahara may prove to beneficial or the opposite. Just cause they are longer doesn’t mean they are worse.

This is why I asked the question to see if someone out there has done this exact thing and seen any difference good or bad. Need some data lol
I have a Sahara and at one point had a Rubi take off suspension. The Rubi shocks are about 3/4" - 1" longer if I remember correctly. I wasn't saying longer = worse. I was saying that they are not the correct length for a Sahara which means you are using the shocks in a way they weren't designed for. Technically you could use them, they would simply be riding in a more compressed state than they would on a Rubi.
Others have noted that the Rubi suspension is a bit stiffer but not a whole lot. Also that "bit stiffer" comment comes with both springs and shocks being assessed, not just the shocks. Since you are only using the shocks I would suspect you would feel very little difference.
In all seriousness if you are looking simply for a red shock get yourself some oil based red spray enamel and paint them. It's a cheaper option and you remove all of the questions you have PLUS be prepared for dealership issues. What I mean by that is some dealerships will take a look at your Sahara with Rubi only shocks and if you have any sort of suspension issues they can turn around and say it's because you screwed with it. Most dealerships don't do this but it has happened. Again another reason to paint them if you are just looking for the look.

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Paint the ones you have. The Rubi shocks are longer and designer to go with the Rubi springs. You may be able to get away with it but the springs will be in a more compressed state all the time since they are longer.
Took your advice and painted them

8B53EA40-69D6-42F8-B1EE-BD07C03862EB.jpeg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Took your advice and painted them

8B53EA40-69D6-42F8-B1EE-BD07C03862EB.jpeg
Nice job! That rear looks clean and tight. Now you just need to go get it all muddy :)

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hey guys,
Just found something interesting.
While browsing Quadratec, found some new Mopar spring numbers in their system, possibly longer than rubi take offs.
Seeing 3663/3664 Front Spring #s
and possibly 3596/3597 Rear Spring #s.

Current Rubicon take Offs are 3660/3661 front and 3590/3591 rears.

112.JPG

113.JPG

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,
While browsing Quadratec, found some new Mopar spring numbers in their system, possibly longer than rubi take offs.

112.JPG

113.JPG
Hmmm... I wonder if they go with the Mopar Fox 2.5" lift.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hmmm... I wonder if they go with the Mopar Fox 2.5" lift.
I wonder as well, however, they are different part numbers than the springs that come with the Mopar 2" lift kit.

666.JPG

They could be the new spring numbers for the diesel or plug in hybrid engine for all I know, or special editions.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Another great thread, thanks to everyone! I'm looking forward to swapping my Sahara suspension for a Rubi take-off as soon as it arrives and will post my results!

ashtonjarrett

First Name
Ashton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
Below are the part numbers from my Sahara (hard top, no tow package) to the Rubicon (hard top, steel bumpers, tow package) suspension I swapped to.

68253658AC – Sahara FL
68253660AC – Rubicon FL

68253659AC – Sahara FR
68253661AC – Rubicon FR

68253589AA – Sahara RL
68253591AA – Rubicon RL

68253590AA – Sahara RR
68253592AA – Rubicon RR

I couldn't find where the end link part numbers were stamped, but the Rubicon came with longer ones so I swapped them too. I also installed the Mopar LCAs at the same time and ended up with 6.3° caster.
Are these 4 door part numbers?

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Made a rookie mistake last night while attempting this swap; got some sway bar links with the Rubi suspension and assumed (since I was doing the front first) that the new larger sway bar links replaced the smaller ones... well no, the seller only included the rears and none of them needed to be changed since they’re the same size between the Sahara & Rubicon. Unfortunately that’s what took the longest time and we never got to the rears last night, so this project is on hold till Saturday and my Jeep is inoperable atm. Hopefully I can swap the stock sway bar links back out without taking anything else off as it’s all torqued back to spec, and then the rears go faster than the fronts. Also hope I didn’t screw anything up permanently as there’s a ton of pressure built up in the sway bar now... good news is so far I’ve got over an inch of lift in the front but I’m sure it will settle once complete!

7137F214-807A-4BEA-A174-71999DF9A7C0.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hey guys,

112.JPG

113.JPG
Gladiator sets perhaps??
Sponsored