Sponsored

Rubicon Springs on Sahara

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but I want to double check a couple questions I have from people who have swapped in the stiffer springs and let them settle a bit.

I'm looking to raise our Sahara to about Rubicon height and take out most of the 1" of rake we have currently due to the Rubi steel bumper.

1) Is the general consensus that each increase in spring number results in a 1/3" lift?

2) To go from Sahara height to Rubicon height one would need to up the spring numbers by 2 (2/3")?

3) The springs are not handed, correct? One could take a spring from the right and move it to the left for a 1 number increase.

4) Can I reuse my Sahara shocks with the new springs? I don't really want the red since I am not trying to look like a Rubicon.

5) It looks like most people are using a spacer up front to take out rake. Could one do that by just using even higher spring numbers?

My springs are:
3658 3659
3588 3589

I'm looking at buying a set off craigslist that have these numbers, which give:
3661 3662 >>> +1.0 +1.0
3590 3591 >>> +0.7 +0.7

However, to take out most of the 1" rake, I am contemplating reusing 3589 rear right spring from our 45k mile Sahara for the driver side, and using the new left spring on the right side. So it would be:
3661 3662 >>> +1.0 +1.0
3589 3590 >>> +0.3 +0.3

Leaving me with a 0.3" rake. I don't mind a very slight rake so that it doesn't appear to be a backwards rake from certain views.

Or will it be disappointing to have only 0.3" lift in the back, and I should I just order all new springs from Mopar Parts Masters, and get a new result of:
3662 3663 >>> +1.3 +1.3
3590 3591 >>> +0.7 +0.7

Or am I overthinking this, and I should part on the new craigslist springs, and throw on a spacer to level it out, whatever that may be? Thanks
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but I want to double check a couple questions I have from people who have swapped in the stiffer springs and let them settle a bit.

I'm looking to raise our Sahara to about Rubicon height and take out most of the 1" of rake we have currently due to the Rubi steel bumper.

1) Is the general consensus that each increase in spring number results in a 1/3" lift?

2) To go from Sahara height to Rubicon height one would need to up the spring numbers by 2 (2/3")?

3) The springs are not handed, correct? One could take a spring from the right and move it to the left for a 1 number increase.

4) Can I reuse my Sahara shocks with the new springs? I don't really want the red since I am not trying to look like a Rubicon.

5) It looks like most people are using a spacer up front to take out rake. Could one do that by just using even higher spring numbers?

My springs are:
3658 3659
3588 3589

I'm looking at buying a set off craigslist that have these numbers, which give:
3661 3662 >>> +1.0 +1.0
3590 3591 >>> +0.7 +0.7

However, to take out most of the 1" rake, I am contemplating reusing 3589 rear right spring from our 45k mile Sahara for the driver side, and using the new left spring on the right side. So it would be:
3661 3662 >>> +1.0 +1.0
3589 3590 >>> +0.3 +0.3

Leaving me with a 0.3" rake. I don't mind a very slight rake so that it doesn't appear to be a backwards rake from certain views.

Or will it be disappointing to have only 0.3" lift in the back, and I should I just order all new springs from Mopar Parts Masters, and get a new result of:
3662 3663 >>> +1.3 +1.3
3590 3591 >>> +0.7 +0.7

Or am I overthinking this, and I should part on the new craigslist springs, and throw on a spacer to level it out, whatever that may be? Thanks
The best info you’re going to get is testimony. Try to find a Jeep that matches yours the best as far as options. Do what works. They’re adding a spacer because they are precise. If you know what result someone got and you don’t like how their front is, just add the spacer to compensate.

They are handed sorta. Higher number goes on the passenger side in a matched front and a matched rear set.

Use the Rubicon shocks with the Rubicon springs. They have internal bump stops, which is of concern when a tire is hanging in the air. The Sahara and sport shocks do not. You can point them black.

There is no exact measurement relative to part number.

Don’t over think it is my recommendation from someone who did. Just get a takeoff set from someone with a hardtop, steel bumper, tow group Rubicon and enjoy.

The part numbers I ended up getting for my JLU Sahara from a JLU Rubicon optioned like above ended in these numbers and arranged to their corresponding corner-
61/62
91/92.
I ended up precisely 1” higher up front and 3/4” higher in the back. After a winch install and aluminum bumper, it dropped 3/4” up front so I added a 3/4” Daystar spacer to offset the drop. After loading the Jeep for camping, I ended up removing the Rubicon rear springs and got some Synergy +1” springs (+1 over a Rubicon). Loaded out, I am down to 1/4” rake.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
The best info you’re going to get is testimony. Try to find a Jeep that matches yours the best as far as options. Do what works. They’re adding a spacer because they are precise. If you know what result someone got and you don’t like how their front is, just add the spacer to compensate.

They are handed sorta. Higher number goes on the passenger side in a matched front and a matched rear set.

Use the Rubicon shocks with the Rubicon springs. They have internal bump stops, which is of concern when a tire is hanging in the air. The Sahara and sport shocks do not. You can point them black.

There is no exact measurement relative to part number.

Don’t over think it is my recommendation from someone who did. Just get a takeoff set from someone with a hardtop, steel bumper, tow group Rubicon and enjoy.

The part numbers I ended up getting for my JLU Sahara from a JLU Rubicon optioned like above ended in these numbers and arranged to their corresponding corner-
61/62
91/92.
I ended up precisely 1” higher up front and 3/4” higher in the back. After a winch install and aluminum bumper, it dropped 3/4” up front so I added a 3/4” Daystar spacer to offset the drop. After loading the Jeep for camping, I ended up removing the Rubicon rear springs and got some Synergy +1” springs (+1 over a Rubicon). Loaded out, I am down to 1/4” rake.
Thanks for the reply and advice. I see in your signature that you have the 2.0t. Did your Jeep come with the hardtop and tow group?

It looks like the springs that I would be getting are the same for the front, and for the rear are one number down from what you have. So I might expect less lift in the rear, which might help level it out.

Another question: Do you recommend the longer LCA's for this minor lift? From what I can gather it appears to be a good idea.

And lastly, I see in your sig that you have custom 1" Bora wheel spacers. Did you have to cut the studs? How much poke would you say you have the 1" spacers? I am looking to do the same but with 3/4" spacers. I like the tread in line with the fender edge. Slightly further out than stock but not so much that it looks like it was messed with.

Thanks!

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thanks for the reply and advice. I see in your signature that you have the 2.0t. Did your Jeep come with the hardtop and tow group?

It looks like the springs that I would be getting are the same for the front, and for the rear are one number down from what you have. So I might expect less lift in the rear, which might help level it out.

Another question: Do you recommend the longer LCA's for this minor lift? From what I can gather it appears to be a good idea.

And lastly, I see in your sig that you have custom 1" Bora wheel spacers. Did you have to cut the studs? How much poke would you say you have the 1" spacers? I am looking to do the same but with 3/4" spacers. I like the tread in line with the fender edge. Slightly further out than stock but not so much that it looks like it was messed with.

Thanks!
My Sahara didn’t come with tow group but it is a hardtop.

The rears might…. Might be lower.

Yes, get the LCA’s. Easier driving at highway speeds.

No stud cutting with the 1” Bora spacers but that is the narrowest you can go. I’m at 1/4” more “poke” than a Rubicon so basically none. Depending on tire sidewall bulge, there might be a tiny tiny bit but last I looked, none I noticed. I did it for stability mainly. Go with the 1” spacer and be done. It’ll look fine and there won’t be any law enforcement issues.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
My Sahara didn’t come with tow group but it is a hardtop.

The rears might…. Might be lower.

Yes, get the LCA’s. Easier driving at highway speeds.

No stud cutting with the 1” Bora spacers but that is the narrowest you can go. I’m at 1/4” more “poke” than a Rubicon so basically none. Depending on tire sidewall bulge, there might be a tiny tiny bit but last I looked, none I noticed. I did it for stability mainly. Go with the 1” spacer and be done. It’ll look fine and there won’t be any law enforcement issues.
Thanks! Our Sahara is also a 2.0t with the power hard top, so I can probably expect similar results except for the lower rear because of the part numbers.

Are you using factory wheels that have pockets for the offset studs in the backside?

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thanks! Our Sahara is also a 2.0t with the power hard top, so I can probably expect similar results except for the lower rear because of the part numbers.

Are you using factory wheels that have pockets for the offset studs in the backside?
Yes, I’ve run the Sahara upgrade wheels and now Rubicon upgrade wheels with the pockets. I measured the pocket depth before ordering the spacers. The exact measurement is in a thread here somewhere. I used a dial caliper depth gauge. Plenty of spare room but not end to go 1/4” narrower (The increments Bora offers).

20-Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
When I added the Rubicon springs I also added 1/2" Teraflex spacers up front to level it off. It pretty much sits dead level now.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Yes, I’ve run the Sahara upgrade wheels and now Rubicon upgrade wheels with the pockets. I measured the pocket depth before ordering the spacers. The exact measurement is in a thread here somewhere. I used a dial caliper depth gauge. Plenty of spare room but not end to go 1/4” narrower (The increments Bora offers).
Thanks again. I just noticed in your sig that you put on Rubi fenders. I believe those are 0.75" wider. So I'll have about 3/4" more poke then you, I believe. Does that seem right to you?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thanks again. I just noticed in your sig that you put on Rubi fenders. I believe those are 0.75" wider. So I'll have about 3/4" more poke then you, I believe. Does that seem right to you?
After the swap, I didn’t notice a difference.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Seriously go with spacers and know exactly what you will end-up with. When I purchased a rubi take-off suspension, I ended up with a 0.75 lift out back and zero lift up front... That's when I realized that my Jeep is a 3.6 and take-off suspension was from a 2.0L hence why it didn't lift.

I ended up taking it off and reinstalling my suspension with spacers.

I also installed Rubi fenders with 17x8.5 wheels with 0 Offset. I did have poke that I fixed with the XR fender extensions.

Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Seriously go with spacers and know exactly what you will end-up with. When I purchased a rubi take-off suspension, I ended up with a 0.75 lift out back and zero lift up front... That's when I realized that my Jeep is a 3.6 and take-off suspension was from a 2.0L hence why it didn't lift.

I ended up taking it off and reinstalling my suspension with spacers.

I also installed Rubi fenders with 17x8.5 wheels with 0 Offset. I did have poke that I fixed with the XR fender extensions.
Thanks for the reply. Do you have an idea of how much wider the rubi fenders are over standard?

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Thanks for the reply. Do you have an idea of how much wider the rubi fenders are over standard?
3/4 inch sounds about right. And they do make XR type extensions for non Rubicon fenders now.

Christx0277

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
So I picked up a set today and going to try this in a couple of week when I hope to have time. It looks like I have all I need. The front springs are missing tags and are very close in length. Only visible difference is one has a little line of green paint and the other has yellow. One of the rear have the same little green line from a paint pen so maybe they match that way?
Current configuration is
FR 3658AD
FL 3657AD
RR 3589AA
RL 3588AA
New (to me) Rubi
FR ?
FL ?
RR 3592AA
RL 3591AA
From reading this entire thread it looks like should be close to an inch lift. Which is about what I was wanting.
Is all I need to swap is the springs and shocks? Very new to this and don’t want a tilted Jeep after first project. :)
I
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Springs on Sahara 1E42011E-CDB3-4870-B83A-D3B94CDEC224
Sponsored