Sponsored

Rubicon springs and shocks on a sport

Jeep0101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Hey I’ve got an Sport JLU and needing advice on the rubicon suspension swap.

1. Can it be done one wheel at a time?
2. Will I need different control arms, or some kind of bracket. I’ve read it might affect the camber, and cause my tires to wear out quicker.

Anyone that’s added the rubicon take offs suspension any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Since you are staying Mopar "stock" configuration. An inexpensive way to improve caster is to use the control arms from the Mopar 2" lift... Part # 68322798AA. This will most likely give 1 degree or more and put you in the upper 5's. Online they are approx. $32 each. Online is you cheapest option.

OP
OP

Jeep0101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Thanks,
Also I have part #s on the rear springs but the front springs don’t have the tags anymore on the rubicon set. Does anyone know if there’s a difference between left and right on the the fronts or should they work fine on either side.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I believe there is a diff.... If you search there's a thread with part #'s, I can't say for sure, i think red tags driver side, blue tag=passenger.

OP
OP

Jeep0101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Yeah my issue is the tags aren’t there, I’m gonna take a closer look, maybe there’s part #s stamped into them

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Since you are staying Mopar "stock" configuration. An inexpensive way to improve caster is to use the control arms from the Mopar 2" lift... Part # 68322798AA. This will most likely give 1 degree or more and put you in the upper 5's. Online they are approx. $32 each. Online is you cheapest option.

I just put springs and shocks on my Rubicon, I might do this until I can afford a set of adjustable arms, these are the same arms that come with the mopar lift kit correct?

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes... that is correct. I just ordered a set to put on my daughters Moab.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah my issue is the tags aren’t there, I’m gonna take a closer look, maybe there’s part #s stamped into them
Part #s here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-springs-on-sahara.10715/page-7#post-474240

My understanding is the larger part # corresponds to longer spring. So even without part # you should be able to figure it out. Read through the thread above and please post back when you get it installed and let us know how it rides/steers.

OP
OP

Jeep0101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Part #s here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-springs-on-sahara.10715/page-7#post-474240

My understanding is the larger part # corresponds to longer spring. So even without part # you should be able to figure it out. Read through the thread above and please post back when you get it installed and let us know how it rides/steers.
Part #s here:

I spoke with someone at rubitrux and they confirmed from another set of rubicon springs that the longer of the two front springs goes on the passenger side. He said it was due to how the engine torques. I’m gonna install them this weekend and see how it goes.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
the longer of the two front springs goes on the passenger side. He said it was due to how the engine torques. I’m gonna install them this weekend and see how it goes.
The longer of the two front spring does go on the passenger side but it is to account for the asymmetrical load of a JL/JLU. The JL/JLU has a huge weight bias to the passenger side, mostly due to the fuel tank location.

Sponsored

SD964

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The rear springs are different also. Just like the fronts, the passenger side is a little taller. You dont need to swap out control arms. If you look at the part numbers, they are the same. I added the Rubicon take offs to my sport, and took it to an alignment shop after. They put it on the rack and it was within spec, no, adjustments needed.

OP
OP

Jeep0101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Installed the rubicon springs and shocks today, went well. Took about 3 hrs. It looks like a totally different Jeep now. I didn’t change out the control arms because they measured the same as the ones that were on there. I did notice the part #s were different though. Didn’t feel much different driving it other that it sits a little higher and rides a little stiffer. Hopefully I didn’t mess up by not Changing those control arms.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the rubicon springs and shocks today, went well. Took about 3 hrs. It looks like a totally different Jeep now. I didn’t change out the control arms because they measured the same as the ones that were on there. I did notice the part #s were different though. Didn’t feel much different driving it other that it sits a little higher and rides a little stiffer. Hopefully I didn’t mess up by not Changing those control arms.
Let's see some pics! :like:

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I'm looking to buy some Rubicon suspension takes offs for my Sport JLU. Has anyone found a tutorial I can review on how to do the swap? I'm looking to learn how to do all my own work.

How much of someone's kit do I need? Some I see have more parts than others. I'm looking to compensate for the added weight in steel from my bumpers and security enclosures. I'm also lugging heavy gear. I've read Rubicon springs help compensate for the weight. True?
Sponsored