Sponsored

Rubicon Sky One Touch Problem - not tight - lifting at high speeds

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2021
I was able to capture some pictures and video. 2022 diesel rubicon, 66K msrp, 1300 miles.

75-80mph with crosswinds. Roof lifts on both passenger and also driver side.

below 65mph no issues.

seems it’s just not tightening enough.

anyone seen something like this?

no leaks so far. But also didn’t get any rain. Did go through a car wash and today after this drop I used my power wash and didn’t see any water coming through!

041FC556-F70F-4B12-BC40-0D80669DA30C.jpeg

55C20E1F-8104-432A-B18E-E5F13242D75D.jpeg

927AC206-67E1-4251-ABA3-26EC1A99D1E2.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

Samy8

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2018
I was able to capture some pictures and video. 2022 diesel rubicon, 66K msrp, 1300 miles.

75-80mph with crosswinds. Roof lifts on both passenger and also driver side.

below 65mph no issues.

seems it’s just not tightening enough.

anyone seen something like this?

no leaks so far. But also didn’t get any rain. Did go through a car wash and today after this drop I used my power wash and didn’t see any water coming through!

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Sky One Touch Problem - not tight - lifting at high speeds 927AC206-67E1-4251-ABA3-26EC1A99D1E2

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Sky One Touch Problem - not tight - lifting at high speeds 927AC206-67E1-4251-ABA3-26EC1A99D1E2

I have the same problem over the passenger side and so does my friend. I have a 2018 Rubicon he has a 2019 sahara

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
Having the same problem with my 22. Anyone able to get this fixed?

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
I did not have this problem on my original Sky One Touch roof. I damage the fabric on a tree a few months ago and the dealership put new fabric on the roof. They said it was a royal PITA to do the installation. My new fabric does not seem tight enough and pulls up over 70mph exactly like OP.

I too am curious if there is a way to tighten the straps or adjust the roof to fix this issue?

Sponsored

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Update: This can be fixed in your garage! You need to increase the strap tension on the Sky One Touch Roof. Here is how I accomplished that.

1. Take straps off spring hooks.
    1. Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Sky One Touch Problem - not tight - lifting at high speeds IMG_4251.JPG
  2. Spread spring hooks a little to make them wide enough to fit a "sandwiched" strap.
  3. Fold the double-backed portion of the strap back from the base of the double portion.
  4. Drill a hole In the strap at the spot that lines up with the existing hole on the doubled-up portion. ( The photo below shows the new hole, the strap will be folded before re-assembly onto the spring hook)
    1. Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Sky One Touch Problem - not tight - lifting at high speeds IMG_4252.JPG
  5. Use a lighter to melt down the frayed hole you just drilled; I kept the drill bit inserted through the hole for this portion
  6. Re-assemble the strap onto the spring hook. Loop the spring hook through the new hole you created and the existing hole. You should have a triple layer of strap going through the hook now.
    1. Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Sky One Touch Problem - not tight - lifting at high speeds IMG_4254.JPG
  7. This creates a sandwich effect on the strap and adds a couple of cm of tension to the strap.

This method reduced my 80mph lifting gap from 1" to just a tiny lift. A massive improvement, and the general cabin noise is better as well. These straps should have multiple holes in them from the factory so that you can adjust the tension in the roof easily.

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
21 JLU with skytop. Never had any problems. There's no way I would take it through a car wash.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
21 JLU with skytop. Never had any problems. There's no way I would take it through a car wash.
My original 21 never had problems. I had been through a brushed wash a few times and a brushless carwash many times. It never leaked a drop. I damaged the fabric on a tree a few months ago, and the fabric was replaced by the dealership. After the fabric replacement, I ran into this lifting-at-speed problem. The straps were definitely looser than they were from the factory. It sounds like some people received tops with looser straps straight from the factory as well.

I'm worried that my method will result in the strap ripping back toward the factory double-thick zone over time. I can picture how the strap should be designed, but I'm leaving the OE one in as long as possible.

These straps need to come with multiple sets of eyelets on the back where the tension can be adjusted as required. An adjustment system for the spring would also work but would be far costlier for Jeep to implement.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
My fears are confirmed with the original method. There has been some lengthening of the hole I created due to a lack of reinforcement. It looks like the hole has reached a final length with the sandwich now providing structural support. I’ll keep an eye on it over the next week and 85mph drives to ensure we are at a steady state.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Sky One Touch Problem - not tight - lifting at high speeds IMG_4259

Sponsored

BrnxBomr2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Recon
Bumping this to the top. Purchased a new 2023 Willys XR with the SOT. Noticed mine lifts on anything over 40mph but of course the faster I go the more it lifts. I noticed it 3 days after I owned it and drove to the beach. I had a 2023 Sahara 4Xe with the SOT and had no issues. I noticed it doesn't leak or anything, but I am still not a fan. The passenger side is loose where as the drivers side is tight as a drum. Just looking for some imput. I have an appointment next Tuesday to have it "looked" at. Hope I don't get the dreaded "Well it's a Jeep" explaination that I used to get when I had JK Wranglers. haha. Any input from the Jeep Cares people?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Bumping this to the top. Purchased a new 2023 Willys XR with the SOT. Noticed mine lifts on anything over 40mph but of course the faster I go the more it lifts. I noticed it 3 days after I owned it and drove to the beach. I had a 2023 Sahara 4Xe with the SOT and had no issues. I noticed it doesn't leak or anything, but I am still not a fan. The passenger side is loose where as the drivers side is tight as a drum. Just looking for some imput. I have an appointment next Tuesday to have it "looked" at. Hope I don't get the dreaded "Well it's a Jeep" explaination that I used to get when I had JK Wranglers. haha. Any input from the Jeep Cares people?
You're right: that's not normal. Hopefully the dealership will be able to resolve it for you.
Sponsored