Rubicon Shocks Shelf Life Question

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey all. I just bought some Rubicon takeoff shocks and springs. Very new with 80 miles on them. Do they have a shelf life? Will it be unsafe to install them 5 years from now? Don't want to install them now because I just got my current suspension rust-proofed and coated.

Thanks.
Sponsored

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Why would you buy now just to wait 5yrs to install? I would think you bought them to give your Jeep a mild lift?

Anyway... I've had suspension components ON cars last 10yrs+ without leaking/failing so I'm not sure why there would be a shelf life? I suppose if they were sitting outside in the sun/rain/snow then sure, but in the garage on a shelf I don't see any issue. My dad has a '40 Merc that took him 35yrs to restore (no joke) and the shocks and springs sat on the side of the house the whole time and he was still able to use them.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
It depends how you store them. You should compress the sock and use nylon strapping that are used in packaging to strap the shock in its fully compressed position.

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Why would you buy now just to wait 5yrs to install? I would think you bought them to give your Jeep a mild lift?

Anyway... I've had suspension components ON cars last 10yrs+ without leaking/failing so I'm not sure why there would be a shelf life? I suppose if they were sitting outside in the sun/rain/snow then sure, but in the garage on a shelf I don't see any issue. My dad has a '40 Merc that took him 35yrs to restore (no joke) and the shocks and springs sat on the side of the house the whole time and he was still able to use them.

The reason is that I originally bought them to install right away, but then I changed my mind and decided to wait until my stock tires were all used up, so that I could do a lift+new bigger tires at the same time. My stock tires still have years of life left. Hence the 5 years

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
It depends how you store them. You should compress the sock and use nylon strapping that are used in packaging to strap the shock in its fully compressed position.

Why is the compression necessary?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The reason is that I originally bought them to install right away, but then I changed my mind and decided to wait until my stock tires were all used up, so that I could do a lift+new bigger tires at the same time. My stock tires still have years of life left. Hence the 5 years
You've got much better willpower than me, I had to lose the stock tires the day I got it home. Mine were the Michelin Soccer-mom tires though, so if you have the AT set it's a bit better.

As far as storing shocks, found this link
https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/96127-how-to-store-shock-absorbers/

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
You've got much better willpower than me, I had to lose the stock tires the day I got it home. Mine were the Michelin Soccer-mom tires though, so if you have the AT set it's a bit better.

As far as storing shocks, found this link
https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/96127-how-to-store-shock-absorbers/

Ok thanks.

And I know, it has taken a lot of willpower. I have the all-terrain stock tires. But I still have to pay off student loans and also want to pay off my Jeep entirely before getting too much into mods hahaha. For now, all I've done is get a hood decal, gas cap, and rock sliders 😂. Took it off road once, really capable stock!

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
Swapping out Rubi shocks and springs isn’t going to give your Jeep so much lift that it looks like a roller skate on stock tires, if you have the parts I say go for it.
if you still want to store them, spray them with a little WD40 from time to time to keep the moisture off.

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Ok thanks.

And I know, it has taken a lot of willpower. I have the all-terrain stock tires. But I still have to pay off student loans and also want to pay off my Jeep entirely before getting too much into mods hahaha. For now, all I've done is get a hood decal, gas cap, and rock sliders 😂. Took it off road once, really capable stock!
Why not sell your stock ATs while they've still got tread left? I'm doing the same. Just upgraded to 33s and trying to sell my stock Dueller ATs
Sponsored