Rubicon Shocks and Springs on Sport S Noise

Reagan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I recently installed rubicon shocks and springs on my Sport S JLU. It rides great however it seems to be very loud and it's kind of concerning me. I can't tell if I did something wrong or it's just due to the rubicon springs being stiffer. When I'm driving it will occasionally rattle a bit more than before and if I go over a speed bump too quickly I hear a loud thump. I could be worrying about nothing, but I could use some peace of mind. If anyone has had a similar experience after installing the rubicon shocks and springs on their sport please let me know. And like I mentioned, other than that, it drives great. Just louder.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed rubicon shocks and springs on my Sport S JLU. It rides great however it seems to be very loud and it's kind of concerning me. I can't tell if I did something wrong or it's just due to the rubicon springs being stiffer. When I'm driving it will occasionally rattle a bit more than before and if I go over a speed bump too quickly I hear a loud thump. I could be worrying about nothing, but I could use some peace of mind. If anyone has had a similar experience after installing the rubicon shocks and springs on their sport please let me know. And like I mentioned, other than that, it drives great. Just louder.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
It shouldn’t be louder unless something is wrong. Perhaps a bolt is loose or a spring isn’t seated correctly and contacting something near by when it compresses.

With the Jeep turned off and parked, try standing on a side step or open a door and stand on the edge of the tub, grab the roll bar and rock the Jeep back and forth. Maybe you can reproduce the noise and get a friend nearby to pinpoint which side it’s coming from. If you can reproduce the sound while the Jeep is sitting still, you should be able to track it down to a loose bolt or a component contacting something nearby. Hope this helps.

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
Did you loosen and re-torque the control arms?

They are serrated and bite into the mounts, if too loose they wont work right and if they were not reset they will carry preload.

This all needs to be tightened on the ground.

Before torquing mine i pushed it side to side trying to get track bar measurements and it made all kinds of noise.

It shouldn't make any.

OP
OP

Reagan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
It shouldn’t be louder unless something is wrong. Perhaps a bolt is loose or a spring isn’t seated correctly and contacting something near by when it compresses.

With the Jeep turned off and parked, try standing on a side step or open a door and stand on the edge of the tub, grab the roll bar and rock the Jeep back and forth. Maybe you can reproduce the noise and get a friend nearby to pinpoint which side it’s coming from. If you can reproduce the sound while the Jeep is sitting still, you should be able to track it down to a loose bolt or a component contacting something nearby. Hope this helps.
I just did that and there is no noise. It only happens when I'm driving and hit a bump.. its weird

OP
OP

Reagan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Did you loosen and re-torque the control arms?

They are serrated and bite into the mounts, if too loose they wont work right and if they were not reset they will carry preload.

This all needs to be tightened on the ground.
No, I didn't do that. Do you think that would fix the problem? I have to get an oil change soon so I may just ask them to take a look at the dealer just in case

Sponsored

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did you use spring compressors or how did you get the springs in?

I can scan the lift instructions but the bushings are carrying pre-load if you did nothing to them.

OP
OP

Reagan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
did you use spring compressors or how did you get the springs in?

I can scan the lift instructions but the bushings are carrying pre-load if you did nothing to them.
No spring compressors, I installed with a friend. Dropped the axle and put the springs in

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to neutralize the pre-load in the front and rear control arms with the jeep on the ground.

This might help, the bushings in the stock control arms are all like this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Shocks and Springs on Sport S Noise DSCF2422.JPG

OP
OP

Reagan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
You need to neutralize the pre-load in the front and rear control arms with the jeep on the ground.

This might help, the bushings in the stock control arms are all like this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Shocks and Springs on Sport S Noise DSCF2422.JPG
Gotcha. Im gonna take it in to the dealer tomorrow for an oil change and to see if they can take care of that too.
I appreciate the speedy replies!

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Gotcha. Im gonna take it in to the dealer tomorrow for an oil change and to see if they can take care of that too.
I appreciate the speedy replies!
Please let me know what they find out. I am having the same issue on the drivers side. Mine knocks if I accelerate really fast from being completely stopped, or if I go over a bump very fast. I took it to a dealer and they gave me a bunch of crap for installing rubi parts and wanted to charge $200 just for taking a look at it. I say f**k it I just wanna find out whats wrong. They couldn't find the issue and wanted to keep the jeep for another day, I didn't pay them and took it back home.

OP
OP

Reagan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Please let me know what they find out. I am having the same issue on the drivers side. Mine knocks if I accelerate really fast from being completely stopped, or if I go over a bump very fast.
Will do. Going in tomorrow.

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Keep us posted. Do you have any pictures and before and after measurements.
Sponsored