Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and Overland JL Wranglers Spotted in Multiple Colors

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Are we 100% sure the front fenders are higher on the JL? I thought I saw a side by side JK and it was pretty equal?
Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Are we 100% sure the front fenders are higher on the JL? I thought I saw a side by side JK and it was pretty equal?
There appears to be two different front fender height locations on the JL, with some of the Rubicon photos showing the front fenders mounted higher than on the Sahara/Sport models. Not sure how this compares to the JK models. Probably the lower non-Rubicon mounting point on the JL matches closely the mounting point on the JK? It would be the higher mounted JL Rubicon front fenders that would be different from the JK.

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
I can't wait to see what the diesel take will be on this Jeep. So many of you are totally disillusioned by diesels. I have a 6.7 Cummins in my truck and it's awesome because I tow 30 000# often like at least twice a week and every other day its minimum 15000 to 20000 lbs. But maintenance is so expensive, fuel filters need changing at 16000 miles and cost over $100. Oil is expensive, diesel is more expensive than gas most of the time and the noise, the warm up and fast idles in cold temps, and that's because Cummins has the absolute best diesel out there, least expensive to maintain. What are you guys going to do with the 3.0? its loud, its heavy its totally expensive like $4000 more (BTW, $4000 buys a lot of gas) its slow, it needs special attention for start ups. No one knows how to work on them even the dealers. I know dealers are clueless when it comes to my Cummins. Maybe in the 1500 Ram and the Scrambler, but in the grand Cherokee and wrangler???? I think it's a bad application. Total marketing. In the long run you will pay much more for the diesel unless you keep the car 20 years and go 1 000 000 miles, then it starts to become profitable. But most guys change in 4 years and less than 100 000 miles so all a total waste.
As you say, it's going to depend how you use it. The newer diesels are much quieter, so it will be interesting to see. Even the old ones were only louder at idle and much quieter at speed. I high revving gasoline engine is much louder. One thing that is known is that the diesel will require much less refueling, which is about to become a bigger issue for Wrangler owners. I hate going to the gas station, and they are making the tank even smaller on the JL. The diesel will get, depending on your use, somewhere between 50% and 100% more miles on a tank of fuel than the gas engine.

The upgrade cost you cite, we don't know yet. When I bought the diesel jeep I have now, the increase was indeed about $4,000, but jeep included a bunch of optional features with the upgrade, if you added up (and wanted) those optional features, the additional cost of the engine upgrade was around $1500, but that was twelve years ago.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
One thing that is known is that the diesel will require much less refueling, which is about to become a bigger issue for Wrangler owners. I hate going to the gas station, and they are making the tank even smaller on the JL. The diesel will get, depending on your use, somewhere between 50% and 100% more miles on a tank of fuel than the gas engine.
Thatā€™s overly optimistic. You think the diesel JL is getting 35-45MPG !?!

Better to spend that ~$5,000+ premium on an extended fuel tank and guarantee that range with 10-25gallon extended tank, and still have thousands left over to buy fuel.

The upgrade cost you cite, we don't know yet. When I bought the diesel jeep I have now, the increase was indeed about $4,000, but jeep included a bunch of optional features with the upgrade, if you added up (and wanted) those optional features, the additional cost of the engine upgrade was around $1500, but that was twelve years ago.
With no additional features itā€™s $4,770 on the RAM which includes the required $500 transmission ugrade (also required for HEMI), add the features at a higher lever then it hides and even higher $5,070 premium for the EcoDiesel because the HEMI becomes the base at that level and itā€™s even greater of a price difference Hemi->ED than that same portion of the Penta->Hemi->ED of the based model.

So, we already know that the EcoDiesel requires a different transmission in the JL so it likely wonā€™t have the option to hide the upgrade vs the 2 other engines the way they do in the RAM.

There currently isnā€™t the option to configure an ED in the Grand Cherokee, but as the HEMI premium is $3,295 and itā€™s only $1,950 in the RAM then itā€™s highly unlikely that the diesel Wrangler is going to be closer to $1,500 than $5,000.

Prepare for more realistic numbers on both fuel economy & the cost to acquire, otherwise youā€™re in for a big shock.

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
Thatā€™s overly optimistic. You think the diesel JL is getting 35-45MPG !?!

Better to spend that ~$5,000+ premium on an extended fuel tank and guarantee that range with 10-25gallon extended tank, and still have thousands left over to buy fuel.

With no additional features itā€™s $4,770 on the RAM which includes the required $500 transmission ugrade (also required for HEMI), add the features at a higher lever then it hides and even higher $5,070 premium for the EcoDiesel because the HEMI becomes the base at that level and itā€™s even greater of a price difference Hemi->ED than that same portion of the Penta->Hemi->ED of the based model.

So, we already know that the EcoDiesel requires a different transmission in the JL so it likely wonā€™t have the option to hide the upgrade vs the 2 other engines the way they do in the RAM.

There currently isnā€™t the option to configure an ED in the Grand Cherokee, but as the HEMI premium is $3,295 and itā€™s only $1,950 in the RAM then itā€™s highly unlikely that the diesel Wrangler is going to be closer to $1,500 than $5,000.

Prepare for more realistic numbers on both fuel economy & the cost to acquire, otherwise youā€™re in for a big shock.
I don't think the diesel JL is getting 35 to 45 mpg. I think the gas one will get about 15 to 16, and the diesel will get 25 or so depending on how it is set up. Those thoughts are based on my real world experience with the Liberty. I can get 30 in the liberty on pure highway driving, but average less than that in normal driving. The 3.6 gas versions get mid teens.

I have been expecting about a $5000 price tag on the diesel, but as I said I don't know that they won't bundle other stuff with it. If they don't, that would be good. I don't like how much manufacturers tend to bundle stuff instead of allowing more flexibility. I may be the diesel is a $10,000 upgrade in reality that requires you to buy a bunch of other stuff. I've been hoping for a $40,000 JL rubicon, but I'm thinking you may be in for a $50,000 JLU to get a diesel.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I am extremly glad to see that it looks like JK bumpers will fit on the JL.

IMG_8743.jpg

rubicon_softop_002-jpg.jpg
I'm glad they got rid of the lower crash bar and Vacuum pump(Or moved the pump) I'm assuming they are putting more reinforcement in the bumpers themselves. The factory JK plastic bumpers weigh next to nothing. I never liked adding big heavy bumpers on top of the existing crash bars.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the diesel JL is getting 35 to 45 mpg. I think the gas one will get about 15 to 16, and the diesel will get 25 or so depending on how it is set up. Those thoughts are based on my real world experience with the Liberty. I can get 30 in the liberty on pure highway driving, but average less than that in normal driving. The 3.6 gas versions get mid teens.
Liberty isnā€™t a Wrangler, youā€™re confused as to the contribution of diesel and its ability to overcome air resistance.

The EPA numbers for the Pentastar are already posted, not 16 unless youā€™re city crawling where thereā€™s a gas station every other block, or doing something extreme to it, and then comparing it to your Liberty makes even less sense.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
Liberty isnā€™t a Wrangler, youā€™re confused as to the contribution of diesel and its ability to overcome air resistance.

The EPA numbers for the Pentastar are already posted, not 16 unless youā€™re city crawling where thereā€™s a gas station every other block, or doing something extreme to it, and then comparing it to your Liberty makes even less sense.
Two things: You know the EPA numbers are higher than real world driving right?

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/heres-why-real-world-mpg-doesnt-match-epa-ratings.html

Second thing, the way my liberty is set up it is very close to a stock wrangler, except that it weighs more and is slightly more aerodynamic. Because of the higher torque, I can spin larger tires at lower engine rpm than you can with a gas motor and get much better mileage than the gas ones. As I said, I get mid-20's in daily driving. The gas versions get about 16.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kinda like diesel owners reporting and hopes also, like 50-100%.
But take that overly optimistic EPA number compare it to the overly optimistic equivalents, and they are both overly optimistic.

Having driven 17,000KMs coast to coast with the top open (49% time fully down, 49% sunrider open) far from hyper-miling, I got just over 11L/100KM or 21MPG at normal highway speed 12L/19.5MPG at 10KPH over, and thatā€™s with the less efficient Auto. So comparing highway to highway, the JL isnā€™t going to be worse at anywhere near 16, unless again you you are doing something more extreme.

You overly optimistic of the diesel, and overly pessimistic of the gas versions, and added cost makes the range argument moot.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Do any of you diesel nuts realize the changes that have been made in diesel emissions systems since 2005? That was 13 years ago? The Liberty CRD wasnt even allowed to be sold in California because it didnt meet the emissions requirements! Its all the EPA crap that has hindered the modern diesel. It will not get the numbers you are hoping for...

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/heres-why-real-world-mpg-doesnt-match-epa-ratings.html

Second thing, the way my liberty is set up it is very close to a stock wrangler, except that it weighs more and is slightly more aerodynamic. Because of the higher torque, I can spin larger tires at lower engine rpm than you can with a gas motor and get much better mileage than the gas ones. As I said, I get mid-20's in daily driving. The gas versions get about 16.
Funny you say that. You say you can get 30 in your CRD Liberty but EPA numbers say.......

EPA estimated fuel economy: 19 mpg city, 24 mpg highway
http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1104dp-buying-a-used-jeep-liberty-crd/

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
Kinda like diesel owners reporting and hopes also, like 50-100%.
But take that overly optimistic EPA number compare it to the overly optimistic equivalents, and they are both overly optimistic.

Having driven 17,000KMs coast to coast with the top open (49% time fully down, 49% sunrider open) far from hyper-miling, I got just over 11L/100KM or 21MPG at normal highway speed 12L/19.5MPG at 10KPH over, and thatā€™s with the less efficient Auto. So comparing highway to highway, the JL isnā€™t going to be worse at anywhere near 16, unless again you you are doing something more extreme.

You overly optimistic of the diesel, and overly pessimistic of the gas versions, and added cost makes the range argument moot.[/QUOTE

I appreciate all the info you put out here. I actually don't dislike gas as long as they are turbo. I wish they would put out a turbo version of the V6 in the Cherokee. It's very good on the road, but off road you have to rev the crap out of it to get up anything steep.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
I only get it on long highway trips, and there are a few small modifications you can make to it that increase mileage. And I have a 2015 Cummins, so I'm familiar with the modern emission systems. The DEF is annoying...
Yeah, Iā€™m not looking forward to the DEF consumption on our VW/ Audi 3.0 tdi once we get the approved fix installed. Iā€™ve been driving around since we got it thinking, hmm, Iā€™m surprised it doesnā€™t use more DEF. I sure do like the torque, mileage and range though. Iā€™m no longer waiting to get the diesel JLU, the manual Pentastar is too tempting and I will wait to see what people think of the Wrangler diesel, how much it costs, and see if it is still offered in 4-5 years when a refresh might come along.
Sponsored