Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have the opportunity to get 5 brand new Rubi rims/tires. See after the pics for my questions please :)

I have a Sahara with the following stock tires...
Dueler A/T RH-S - Size: 255/70R18
upload_2018-4-2_10-14-22.jpeg

This is the tire that comes on the Rubicon.
upload_2018-4-2_10-48-7.jpeg

Here they are together.
upload_2018-4-2_10-48-30.jpeg

My questions are this...

Price - These are brand new Rubi rims/tires with the little nubby things still on. $1800 for the set - $600 credit for my rims and tires = $1200 plus tax. Does this sound like a good deal?

He stated that the difference in tire size will not rub the fenders when off road. He said it was negligible and they should not rub during axle articulation. True?

He said the tire noise will not be any louder than what is on there now. True? I find that hard to believe but I don't think they would be seriously louder.

He said that the tire on the Rubi has been seen to get 80k miles with proper 5 tire rotation. He said he'd be really upset if this tire got anything less than 60k. True?

Will it look funny having a bigger tire without lifting it? I may do a very small lift in the future but not sure yet.
Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I have the opportunity to get 5 brand new Rubi rims/tires. See after the pics for my questions please :)

My questions are this...

Price - These are brand new Rubi rims/tires with the little nubby things still on. $1800 for the set - $600 credit for my rims and tires = $1200 plus tax. Does this sound like a good deal?

He stated that the difference in tire size will not rub the fenders when off road. He said it was negligible and they should not rub during axle articulation. True?

He said the tire noise will not be any louder than what is on there now. True? I find that hard to believe but I don't think they would be seriously louder.

He said that the tire on the Rubi has been seen to get 80k miles with proper 5 tire rotation. He said he'd be really upset if this tire got anything less than 60k. True?

Will it look funny having a bigger tire without lifting it? I may do a very small lift in the future but not sure yet.
The diameter of a 255/70R18 is a bit more than 32". The Rubi K02s are just under 33", so less than a full inch difference in diameter, and the ground clearance difference between the two models is that same distance, implying that the suspensions of both are of equal height. So fit should be no issue, nor should looks. I've seen the 35" tires on an unlifted Rubi and they look good, so the additional 1" here should look right, no lift required.

$1200 for the rims and tires, installed and balanced, is fair, but they'll turn around and get more than $600 on a Sport swap, so push for $800 credit, maybe settle at $1100 total price. You could always get the Rubi flares aftermarket if you think you need more clearance or want the aggressive look.
I think wear will be just about the same, depending on use, but that's just pure opinion, as I can't speak from experience.

Me: I would definitely do it.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I put them on my Sport. Everything he said sounds about right and the price is very fair.

*edit* re-read they want your Sport wheels/tires. You can find the wheels/tires for around $1,200 then turn around and sell your wheels/tires for $600 or so. So that price is a bit high.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated!! I did ping him about getting more for mine but he was pretty firm, in fairness they are a pure offroad custom shop... RubiTrux in Boone. The guys there were great, very helpful and super friendly and patient with a Jeep noob like me. Met the owner and he is a completely down to earth guy with a serious Jeep buying problem... LOL.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wait... you can find brand new Rubi rims/tires that I am showing here for $1200 flat? They are asking $1800 then $600 credit for my rims/tires, which takes it down to $1200.

Where did you get your Rubi rims/tires?

On a side note that price includes taking my sensors and putting them in the new tires and well as mounting. I pull in and 1 hour later I drive out with all 5 tires properly linked to my Jeep pressure sensor and $1200 poorer :)

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
There's a for sale section on this forum. They tend to go from around $1200-$1500 for the wheels/tires then you can sell your wheels/tires on your own.

For example, I got mine for $1300 from a forum member then I sold my new sport wheels/tires for $650 on Craigslist.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wait wait wait... you are saying Rubi rims/tires for $1200... I say no way. The tires alone are around $200 each so that's $1,100 in tires which means the rims are only $100 for five. These tires are completely new so rating them at $200 each is correct.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
What are the Rubi Flares?
The Rubicon Fender flares sit about an inch higher and the fronts are more "snarled" back. I'm sure the shop you're talking about will eventually have a set for sale, as many modders take them off for fully off-road ones (or none at all).

As far as what @1quick1 says, he's absolutely right. You could find tires/rims cheaper, balanced and with sensors already installed on this forum. But, you have to find them nearby, and then have a dealer link the new sensors (I think). And then you have to sell your Sahara tires/rims privately, and I can't predict the market for those (but would suspect you could get more than $600 for them (this shop definitely will sell/swap them for a lot more). Like a lot of things on the forum, it comes down to cost vs. convenience.

k9chita

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase

upload_2018-4-2_10-14-22.jpeg

This is the tire that comes on the Rubicon.
upload_2018-4-2_10-48-7.jpeg

Here they are together.
upload_2018-4-2_10-48-30.jpeg

My questions are this...

I bought Rubicon rims and will be doing the same thing. You have pics of the new rims/tires installed?

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't bought them yet. I have the opportunity to but still trying to decide. Would you mind telling me what you paid for the 5 Rubi rims with tires?

k9chita

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't bought them yet. I have the opportunity to but still trying to decide. Would you mind telling me what you paid for the 5 Rubi rims with tires?
I bought just the rims, $500 for the set of five. Going to have to get the tires on my own. I'm still is "D" purgatory, so I have some time.

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU, Rivian R1S, '99 Cherokee XJ
If you buy them, take a picture. I'm very close to doing the same!

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Nice work!!!! So you are the guy who photo shops all those pictures of Hillary and Trump onto other people? :)

The Mrs. likes it, I told her this is what your will look like. We are getting them put on this afternoon. Will post pictures early next week.
Sponsored