First Name
Sho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
At this time, I plan not to lift mine as I may not see any serious off road courses in Japan. With my wheels are being ET10, I prepare to put half of my son’s foam baseball between the spare tire and the tailgate bump stops.

9EFB1EC7-1311-4EB7-A50D-C35966301D92.jpeg
Sponsored

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, Ducati Monster 796
Hey Everyone,

Wanted to ask a quick question. I have the opportunity to get what I'm told are a set of 2015 Rubicon wheels with sensors. I just wanted to confirm if these will fit on my 2018 Sahara. I see most of the pics in the forum are for the newer looking rubicon wheels. I have attached a pic of what I am considering just to confirm, as I'm not to familiar with these ones myself being new to Jeep. If they do fit, will I need any new lug nuts or anything?

Also, are there any tricks to recognizing if there is any subtle damage to the wheels that you all may suggest to watch for aside from the obvious observable ones?

Thanks for your time and feedback.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon rims/tires on a Sahara IMG_2014

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Everyone,

Wanted to ask a quick question. I have the opportunity to get what I'm told are a set of 2015 Rubicon wheels with sensors. I just wanted to confirm if these will fit on my 2018 Sahara. I see most of the pics in the forum are for the newer looking rubicon wheels. I have attached a pic of what I am considering just to confirm, as I'm not to familiar with these ones myself being new to Jeep. If they do fit, will I need any new lug nuts or anything?

Also, are there any tricks to recognizing if there is any subtle damage to the wheels that you all may suggest to watch for aside from the obvious observable ones?

Thanks for your time and feedback.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon rims/tires on a Sahara IMG_2014
They will fit and I believe the sensors are the same so your computer should pick them up.

I've had experience with a bent wheel right out of the box once. The best way to tell if they are bent is to get them onto a tire balance machine and it will be very obvious if there is a bend in the wheel.
Aside from that give them a good inspection and lay them flat on a smooth conrete surface like a garage floor and look/feel for any gaps or wobble against the floor. This isn't a perfect test, you will possibly feel a little wobble against the floor due to the concrete. What you are looking for is that REALLY obvious wobble like something is way off.

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, Ducati Monster 796
They will fit and I believe the sensors are the same so your computer should pick them up.

I've had experience with a bent wheel right out of the box once. The best way to tell if they are bent is to get them onto a tire balance machine and it will be very obvious if there is a bend in the wheel.
Aside from that give them a good inspection and lay them flat on a smooth conrete surface like a garage floor and look/feel for any gaps or wobble against the floor. This isn't a perfect test, you will possibly feel a little wobble against the floor due to the concrete. What you are looking for is that REALLY obvious wobble like something is way off.
Thank you for the quick feedback. I'm eager to get out of my 18", but I'm also paranoid of sometimes getting parts that are used and finding out they are maybe damaged. There's always that bit of anxiety when you don't have much gear or mechanical experience. I'd love to get some new wheels, but it is a a fairly substantial cost to get the wheels and tires. So I appreciate the info and hope it will give me some more confidence :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the quick feedback. I'm eager to get out of my 18", but I'm also paranoid of sometimes getting parts that are used and finding out they are maybe damaged. There's always that bit of anxiety when you don't have much gear or mechanical experience. I'd love to get some new wheels, but it is a a fairly substantial cost to get the wheels and tires. So I appreciate the info and hope it will give me some more confidence :)
Glad I could help. It's always a balance of what you can afford and like coming together :) At least you are getting out of 18" rims... lol. I'd have 15" rims on mine if I could make them fit.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Does anyone know if this will clear the rear bumper of my Sahara?

I don't have a Tazer to change my speedometer, what are my alternatives?

( I swapped to Rubicon steel rear bumpers)

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
I've been watching this thread closely and the 'Rubi swap' is now next on my list of mods.

Does anyone have experience with these off-road? The KO2 are clearly more equipped for A/T driving, but I'm looking for insights with the stock SAHARA lift. Is there anything to be concerned about? Not rock climbing or anything, just mild-moderate trails.

Last edited:

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
I've been watching this thread closely and the 'Rubi swap' is now next on my list of mods.

Does anyone have experience with these off-road? The KO2 are clearly more equipped for A/T driving, but I'm looking for insights with the stock SAHARA lift. Is there anything to be concerned about? Not rock climbing or anything, just mild-moderate trails.
I switched to Rubicon wheels and tires after 1200mi or so. You won't regret it! I haven't had any issues with rubbing, and I'm still using stock Sahara suspension. I even added the steel bumper and there's no sag. The tires grip well, and I've been impressed with how well it does on mild-moderate trails. I also switched out the stock running boards with the Mopar Performance Rock Rails since the stock running boards felt the weak spot when hitting moderate+ trails.

The biggest difference I could tell with handling was with the Rubi wheels/tires, the Sahara is more sensitive to the crown of the road. It still tracks just as straight as it did before, but it definitely wants to lean into the crown, requiring a bit more steering corrections. Let me know if you have any other questions!

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
Thank you jgo138!

From what I have read there is surprisingly very little in the way of on-road driving difference when switching from the stock SAHARA wheels to RUBI KO2s. The only exception being minor comments here and there regarding the speedometer/8th gear and your note on tracking which doesn't seem to be a big issue.

Regarding the light-moderate offroad abilities with the SAHARA + RUBI Wheels, I believe there's no issue with rubbing with the 33" tire unless completely articulated. They are definitely a major upgrade over the H/T and a great upgrade over the A/T that comes stock with the Sahara.

Please let me know if anyone has had any other issues, or considerations they would be able to share as I look to finalize my decision.

Sponsored

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
I just made the switch from Sahara to Rubicon wheels/K02s. Easy swap. The TPMS even recognized the new setup instantly! Speedometer checked with GPS and was at worst maybe a 1/2 mph off. Spare fit without issue but the tire cover was a bit snug. It finally went into place. The Sahara wheels are now available in the for sale forum. Glad I did this!
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon rims/tires on a Sahara A984EFC5-2A8A-4C01-B37F-BFAFDA075136
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon rims/tires on a Sahara C9B0CB71-7D55-4B2D-B5F2-6A66D3F5BCBA

jmgrant41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
Hi everyone! Just swapped out the stock Sahara wheels and tires on my ‘18 JLU with Rubicon rims and tires from a 2020. They look awesome! The new wheels have TPMS sensors but the Jeep isn’t reading them. Apologies if I missed this in the thread somewhere but, does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve?
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon rims/tires on a Sahara 9C1A4DF5-FB11-4735-A070-743DEDC7AD3E

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
just to be clear, you’re saying you have a dash light for the TPMS and after driving a bit the system still doesn’t see the sensors? Are you positive the seller included them? My swap was recognized immediately. Have you cycled through the menu to see if the Jeep displays any tire readings?
Sponsored