Rubicon rims/tires on a Sahara

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Yes let us know how it looks. I wanted to keep it as low as possible to block as little out the rear view mirror as possible.
I know, same here
Just moved it to make sure it wouldn’t be in the way when I pick my new wheels up, can always put it back lower later. Pics to come ;)
Sponsored

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
So this is how it looks once moved up.
Verdict, I think that feature is only useful if you go with 34 or 35, but then with the extra weight you end up needing a relocation bracket so not sure who’s gonna end up using it this way....
Because then also you have almost no rear view if you have a wheel big enough for this to be needed, PLUS that on top of it.
Point is I put it back to it’s original position and it works just fine ;)

CED759EE-5298-47D9-B219-60E1B9D29E44.jpeg

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
So today as planned I picked up my Rubi wheels, and man those 33s KO2 look good, AND these rims on top of it, definitely make the whole thing look more rugged !
Very happy with the final result :)

213F9000-099E-443E-AF06-BB467811C552.jpeg

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
So today as planned I picked up my Rubi wheels, and man those 33s KO2 look good, AND these rims on top of it, definitely make the whole thing look more rugged !
Very happy with the final result :)

213F9000-099E-443E-AF06-BB467811C552.jpeg
I'm glad you got your answer from another member on adjusting the 3rd brake light or not. We have almost identical JL's now once I order up my NFab nerfs! Did you sell your OE running boards? I've posted mine for sale in multiple places but can't get a single bite on them...

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
I'm glad you got your answer from another member on adjusting the 3rd brake light or not. We have almost identical JL's now once I order up my NFab nerfs! Did you sell your OE running boards? I've posted mine for sale in multiple places but can't get a single bite on them...
Hi,
Just posted mine here and on our equivalent of Craigslist, just one guy might be interested when he gets his JL Sport if his gf feels she’s kinda short to get in the Jeep lol
I think the JL is kind of too new, not a lot have been sold yet, so I’d say you don’t need the money, I wouldn’t lower the price too much, just wait for more demand :)

Sponsored

Lonman81

First Name
Lonnie Wilmoth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
Did you guys see a big drop in gas mileage going from the stock sahara rim tire combination to the rubis?

Thanks!

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Been looking here in Phoenix to see if anyone is selling their Rubi takeoffs. Not seeing anything. Kinda surprised.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So this is how it looks once moved up.
Verdict, I think that feature is only useful if you go with 34 or 35, but then with the extra weight you end up needing a relocation bracket so not sure who’s gonna end up using it this way....
Because then also you have almost no rear view if you have a wheel big enough for this to be needed, PLUS that on top of it.
Point is I put it back to it’s original position and it works just fine ;)

CED759EE-5298-47D9-B219-60E1B9D29E44.jpeg
Couple of questions...

I have a Stock Sahara that I too put the same Rubi rim/tires on it. Looks killer and I also grabbed the Rubi suspension off the same Jeep and will put that on soon enough and it will give it a small 1" lift. That's all the Mrs. wanted to do.
So here are the questions:

1. How did you raise the brake light? I agree it can be left alone, however I wanted to see what it looked like and I assumed you could slide it up but you can't. There are two fixed holes on either side.

2. Do you find you back window glass rattles a little now? There is more weight pulling on the back gate now and mine is rattling a little. I got in the back of the Jeep and pushed the back window out, so it made a tighter seal to the gate, and it stopped rattling.
I adjusted the gate latch to draw in tighter and it helped a little. I was going to loosen the top and re-seat a little further back and see if that helps.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Couple of questions...

I have a Stock Sahara that I too put the same Rubi rim/tires on it. Looks killer and I also grabbed the Rubi suspension off the same Jeep and will put that on soon enough and it will give it a small 1" lift. That's all the Mrs. wanted to do.
So here are the questions:

1. How did you raise the brake light? I agree it can be left alone, however I wanted to see what it looked like and I assumed you could slide it up but you can't. There are two fixed holes on either side.
I took both screws out, moved the light up, so basically put the bottom hole of the light in front of the top hole of the rack, so basically there’s only one screw holding it in position on each side; not sure if it’s the right way to do it, definitely seemed like the only way to me though ;)

2. Do you find you back window glass rattles a little now? There is more weight pulling on the back gate now and mine is rattling a little. I got in the back of the Jeep and pushed the back window out, so it made a tighter seal to the gate, and it stopped rattling.
I adjusted the gate latch to draw in tighter and it helped a little. I was going to loosen the top and re-seat a little further back and see if that helps.
No rattle here, didn’t notice anything at least ;)

Sponsored

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Just another set of before and after pics for anyone that is thinking about making the switch...

Photo May 08, 12 40 11.jpg
Photo May 08, 16 03 55.jpg

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Just another set of before and after pics for anyone that is thinking about making the switch...

Photo May 08, 12 40 11.jpg
Photo May 08, 16 03 55.jpg
In case anyone that is thinking about picking up Rubi takeoffs, all 5 will indeed fit in the back with the seat folded down. I wasn't sure if they would, so I picked them up in my Suburban, but they fit in the Jeep no problem.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
In case anyone that is thinking about picking up Rubi takeoffs, all 5 will indeed fit in the back with the seat folded down. I wasn't sure if they would, so I picked them up in my Suburban, but they fit in the Jeep no problem.
What I did is take off the spare, so I could load one there and 4 in the back :)

JeepOntheBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 2018
I have a Sahara ordered and I picked up JL Rubicon tires 285/70/17 from another JL wrangler forum member. I want to add XD RG1 wheels that are 17 x 8.5 with a +25mm offset. The tire shop that I called initially said that the +25mm offset wouldn’t work because of the brakes and that I needed less offset. He said he called KMC the wheel manufacturer who recommended the 0 offset. That doesn’t make any sense to me since the factory wheels have a +44mm offset. Shouldn’t that provide more clearance for suspension and brakes then the factory wheels. I wanted a higher offset to keep the tires from sticking out too far and give me more fender clearance. Thoughts?

person500

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Moab Edition, 2018 JLU Sahara
I just made the swap from Bridgestone A/S on the stock 5-spoke JLUS wheel to the BFG KO2's on the stock JLUR wheel. Here's my impressions:

1. Looks. As you can see from the pics that others have posted (LHB in post #33 in this thread has a great sequence), the difference is night and day. Even more so in person than in the pictures. Goes from "wanna be mall crawler" to "where the mud at?". Looks rugged and fantastic. Still only gonna off-road 1-2x/yr, but nobody needs to know that. Makes me feel like a man every time I look at the new wheels and tires. Strip mall parking spot curbs, beware! :)

2. Road/tire noise. I am in my late 40's and want my car ride to be as quiet as possible, so I really notice road noise. Probably the one thing I dislike about my JKUMoab is how loud the wind and tire noise is at highway speeds. So, on the JLUS if the all-seasons were a 1 (on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being loudest), then I'd rate the KO2's as a 2.5-3. Below 40mph there is little noise. At highway speeds it is noticeable but still would rate it as very light. Doesn't interfere with conversation, and is quieter than either engine noise or wind noise. If you weren't thinking about it, you wouldn't notice it. Goes from 2.5 to 3 when you hit bad pavement that would be noisy with any tire. Love the quietness here.

3. Handling. In a straight line, there is pretty much no difference. I keep trying to convince myself that the right is slightly rougher (maybe going from 1-->1.5, with 10 being the roughest) but it is barely noticeable. And again, I am in old-man mode when it comes to a rough ride. I don't like feeling like someone is punching my kidneys repeatedly every time I go for a drive. But the KO2's are smooth. Cornering I take it slightly easier with the new tires. And who cares. You're not buying a jeep to take a corner at 60mph. No difference with the swap there.

3.5. Handling--JLUS vs JLUR. As long as I'm giving my impressions, thought I'd chime in here. Test drove a JLUR with the KO2's just to check on tire/road noise prior to the swap. I did notice that the JLUR appears to ride higher than the JLUS, and the JLUR definitely has a softer suspension. "Bouncier", as my son said as we drove down the road at about 35mph. But then again, probably far more appropriate for off roading. JLUS suspension is firmer/feels more stable, definitely more suited to the everyday asphalt commute. Which is why I bought a Sahara. All good. Everyone choose the flavor that works best for you. Just glad that Jeep actually tuned the models differently to make it a real choice!

4. Off Road. No idea, haven't been off road with them yet. Will go out on a limb here and say that the KO2's will handle non-pavement better than bridgestone all-seasons. :)

5. Gas mileage. Still on the first tank, nothing to notice yet.

6. Overall. I'd take the KO2's all day long and twice on Sundays. Highly recommend the switch for those so inclined. And again, this is moving from the all-seasons on the sahara wheels. If you already have the all-terrain tires, I'm guessing that any 'negative' differences will be even slighter. Seriously--make the change!!!
Sponsored