Rubicon rims/tires on a Sahara

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
I think this may depend more on how you feel about the stock rims that come on the Sahara. I personally am not a fan of either styles. There are really a lot of "options" as to when you go about this and I am in the same boat.

If you like the stock rims and plan to keep them I myself would wait for them to be worn out and get the new rubber unless you can sell the stock tires and put that money towards the ones you want.

If you don't like the stock rims you may want to do what @LHB did and find a set of take offs from a Rubicon and do the switch.

I also thought about Keeping the stock rims / wheels for winter driving since I don't care about them and buy a new set of rims, TPMS sensors, and tires for spring through fall use.

If you are going to get new rims I would get 17" rims so the sidewall is taller allowing you to air down a bit more for off road use. Check out this stock JK and what it is running with the tires a bit aired down:

Looks like he does some pretty good stuff on a stock setup in a JK. Would the stock 18's on the Sahara significantly limit how much I could air down? I recognize that the KO2's are a better off road tire in general, but how much of a difference are we really talking about?
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Looks like he does some pretty good stuff on a stock setup in a JK. Would the stock 18's on the Sahara significantly limit how much I could air down? I recognize that the KO2's are a better off road tire in general, but how much of a difference are we really talking about?
The difference would not be big when it comes to airing down. If somebody wants to really air down they are better off with true bead lock rims to go down to 10 PSI or so. 18 vs 17 would be a minimal difference. If you prefer the stock rim and or simply any 18" rim I would not let this affect your decision.

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
@jayz235 @mgroegerHave you noticed any rock chips on the painted fenders? This is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Rubi wheels/tires. Thanks guys, the Jeeps looking great!
I've heard the same amount of debris hitting the rear fenders from both sets of wheels/tires. I plan on adding a layer of 3M protective clear vinyl back there (as well as the front) so I'm not worried about it.

Yeah, when you look at the side steps ends they come fill the gap under the fenders, which is a good design by Jeep I think.
This is a good point I hadn't thought of, as I too will be purchasing some Nerf steps in the near future. I'll have the protective vinyl put on before the steps to avoid any additional damage.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine on a level surface and it looked more like this but he still seems to sit a bit higher. regardless, one of these weekends I'll be slapping the Rubicon suspension on the Sahara. Pics and measurements will be posted.

Sponsored

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
When you switched out the Rubi rims and tires, do you just slap them on and go? I'm months out, but think this is the route I want to go.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. They took my sensors out and put them in the Rubi tires. That was it. If the Rubi tires have their original sensors you can use them and simply put the wheels on. The sensors will calibrate to your jeep within minutes of driving.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Hey guys, I was wondering as I’m picking my Rubi wheels this weekend; did you have to adjust the 3rd break light and move it up, or the 33s fit just fine and as well as with the Sahara stock 32s ?

BGJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2020 JLUR
Hey guys, I was wondering as I’m picking my Rubi wheels this weekend; did you have to adjust the 3rd break light and move it up, or the 33s fit just fine and as well as with the Sahara stock 32s ?
I believe I read somewhere on here that the actual difference from a Sahara stock tire to Rubi is .8”. Just looking at pictures, there may be enough room without adjusting. Let me know for sure once yours are on as I will do the same when my Jeep arrives.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They didn't when they put mine on but it's pretty tight which I don't like. Next time I have the spare off I will raise the brake light about 1/2"

Deezflops

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
@jayz235 Did you have to change the height of the 3rd break light ?
I didn't change the height of the break light. When installing the spare it pushed lightly against the plastic underneath it (because it's a wider tire), but the light has plenty of room to be seen over the tire without adjusting.

As an aside, I think I posted on here that the Rubi tires were 0.8" taller. I think that's the case with the written dimensions of the tires. But the actual numbers differ from the written measurements. I went out and unscientifically measured the tires. I think the Sahara are more like 31.5" and the Rubi are like 32.8" - so it's about a 1.25" increase in height (so it will be about 0.65" closer to the break light). And I think they're about 1 - 1.2" wider

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Thanks for your answers guys.
As I got my Jeep ready yesterday night to go get my wheels on sunday (removed the spare so I only have 4 to load in the back of it), I moved it up not knowing, so I’m not sure but it’s probably “too high” now as you can only move it up of about 1 inch (thought it would be more “progressive”), so I will let you know/post pics when i put the spare on so you know if you want or need to do it as well ;)
But I have a feeling I might move mine down eventually lol

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The tires size difference being roughly 1.25" will not give yo a 1.25" height adjustment. It will be half of that so around .625" higher.

Deezflops

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Thanks for your answers guys.
As I got my Jeep ready yesterday night to go get my wheels on sunday (removed the spare so I only have 4 to load in the back of it), I moved it up not knowing, so I’m not sure but it’s probably “too high” now as you can only move it up of about 1 inch (thought it would be more “progressive”), so I will let you know/post pics when i put the spare on so you know if you want or need to do it as well ;)
But I have a feeling I might move mine down eventually lol
Yes let us know how it looks. I wanted to keep it as low as possible to block as little out the rear view mirror as possible.
Sponsored