Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Don't be surprised if you discover the rear tire gently rubs the plastic bumper, too. It's not a big deal and can only be seen when I open the tailgate. Heck, my 80 lb Labrador Retriever does more getting in and out than the tire rubbing did. Bumper is tougher than you think...
I had the tire guy put 32 psi in the spare. I was afraid it might rub myself (wait, let me reword that :) ) rub the bumper. Seemed to work just fine.
Sponsored

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
Depends on where you plan to wheel. I like Colorado and past experience says have good skid plates. The factory gives you minimal protection and the aftermarket fills the gap, literally. If you're like me, that Jeep has to get you home so be prepared and protect your soft bits!
Noted. I am planning on a trip to CO first, then NV and/or UT in 2022. I definitely want to get back home safe and not be stuck in no man's land for days.

What aftermarket skid plates do you recommend?

jmgrant41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
Hmm, short of a dealer visit Iā€™d say check your fuses - make sure theyā€™re fully seated (push down on them). Itā€™s wild that they registered then stopped. The fact that they all stopped points me to the fuses. Let us know how this turns out, ok?

BTW, your Jeep is Billet Silver, soft top? Same color, hard top here.
Thank you for the suggestion! Iā€™m finally off from work the rest of the week so Iā€™m going to look at them tomorrow. Iā€™ll post an update once I figure out whatā€™s going on. Iā€™ve read some other content with other JL owners experiencing something similar after making the swap but no solutions other than taking it to a shop. And yes, mine is Billet Silver with a Black Soft top. Love that color combo!

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Noted. I am planning on a trip to CO first, then NV and/or UT in 2022. I definitely want to get back home safe and not be stuck in no man's land for days.

What aftermarket skid plates do you recommend?
I like the setup from Rusty's Off-Road for the 2.0 JL Wrangler. Full coverage and they sell additional pieces to compliment. You can buy sections individually, too. Keeps the price down. They have a great skid for the 3.6 fuel tank, too. No matter who you choose, think about how your choice will impact simple maintenance like oil changes. I like the fasteners that Rusty uses as they look like they could take a hit or two and still be usable. Last tip - never off road alone. Buddy system is way more fun and safe!

brmcshea

First Name
Rubeus Hagrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
hey guys! Finally got Rubi wheels installed on my Sahara - previous posts helped me a lot with my decision - hopefully, this one will help someone too!

Stock Sahara + 17 Rubi Wheels.
IMG_6862.JPG
IMG_6879.JPG
What size tires are these?

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone. New to this forum. I have a stock 2017 JK Unlimited Sahara. I want to upgrade the stock tires but keep the stock wheels. Stock tire size is 255/70R18 which I believe to be a 31. I would like a bigger more aggressive tire for mostly on-road and some light trails. Any advice or websites would be appreciated. Best Electric Tomato Juicer For Canning
Justin, you can use this calculator to check the difference in tire sizes to help you there if you're staying with 18's. Many of us have used Discount Tire for tires. I suggest staying with the better known tire companies for a quality produce. I bought a set of Rubicon take off tires/wheels for my Sahara. They are 285/70R17's Goodrich KO2's and are quite capable for the way we use our JL. Welcome to the forum.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Clint Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Hello. I was thinking of getting a set of pulled rubicon wheels/tires to put on my 2012 Sahara but not sure if I would need to make any other adjustments? Would I get a better ride if I upgraded the shocks too? This is my daily driver and used for fairly moderate off-roading since here in central Ohio there aren't any extreme trails to really go on. I do plan to go to jeep jamboree at Cumberland this year but that will be the toughest trail she sees so don't see the need for a lift or tires any larger. Has anyone done this and what results did you see as far ride and or any change in mpg? Or if anyone just has suggestions to make this work well let me know! Thanks in advance! cbd dog treats
2012 Sahara? I can tell you from first hand experience that it will work fine with the JL Sahara suspension and likely drive better.

PawBeans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Wondering if anyone has spoken to their dealer about warranty implications from switching to the Rubicon wheels and tires. I know the difference in size is minimal but not sure about the offset. Saw some other threads on here about possible warranty denial issues of going to larger tires. Those threads seemed to focus on switching from 33s to 35s or 37s not going from 32s to 33s, but interested to see if anyone is concerned about it.

Sponsored

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Just came from my dealer who was troubleshooting a charging message related to stop/start. I clearly do not have my Sahara 18 inch wheels and tires. Been running Rubicon takeoffs for a couple of years now. They have not said a word. Largely because they are technically an option. I doubt there is a dealer that would not swap wheels and tires from one Jeep to another to make a sale especially if they are direct bolt ons (they are).

I ran the Rubicon takeoffs for a year with the Sahara suspension which included Colorado trips above tree line. No rubbing. The past year I have been running Rubicon takeoff springs and shocks which by the way, improved the ride. Ask my wife. :D

It's when you swap out aftermarket wheels and tires that you need to be more attentive to backspacing, etc. so deal with a competent shop that knows Jeeps. The rest is easy...

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Regarding the warranty questions with Rubicon tires and wheels. A buddy bought a used JL sport (all stock) from the local smaller dealership in July that is still under the factory warranty. I installed Rubicon take-off tires, wheels, and suspension. 2 months later he took it in for warranty work related to the battery and they never questioned anything. First of all, a battery related issue has nothing to do with the tires or suspension. The factory warranty isn't all or nothing, meaning they don't cancel the entire warranty because of an aftermarket part. Technically they have the right to deny warranty work if they believe the aftermarket part directly attributed to the issue. If you add 37" tires and blow out the rear axle they may very well deny warranty work, but if the soft top mechanism breaks there is no reason the tires should have any affect on it.
Of course it can vary by dealer also. While the manufacture actually offers the warranty and pays the dealership for any work they do, the manufacture heavily relies on what the dealer techs say to decide if it's a repair they will warranty. In the case above, one of the owners of the dealership drives a JL on 37's and his wife has a JL on 35's so probably a little more lenient than other places.

Orpheum

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited
I thought I would revive this thread with a pic of my '23 Sahara with Rubicon takeoffs.

F1IzqhW.jpg

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
I thought I would revive this thread with a pic of my '23 Sahara with Rubicon takeoffs.

F1IzqhW.jpg
Those takeoff tires arenā€™t THAT bigā€¦ you donā€™t have to park so far from the gas pump. šŸ˜‚

But the Jeep does look great! šŸ‘
Sponsored