Sponsored

Rubicon Recon or Sahara Altitude with Sky One Touch (Both Sting Gray)

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon 2.0T
For the life of me, I cannot decide between the Rubicon Recon on the showroom floor or the the Sahara Altitude with the Sky One Touch roof. I’m new to jeeps, so please forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject. I test drove both jeeps, they both have the turbo 4. I originally wanted the V6 just because it’s tried and true, but the 2.0 turbo seems to be getting good reviews and will probably get better gas mileage. I drive 30 miles each way to work....85% of it is on the highway. I’m not sure I’ll ever really get into real off-roading, but I may dabble.... The Recon is $54k and the Altitude is $51.5k, so they are close in price. I’m open to opinions and suggestions.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Do you have VINs or window stickers so we can compare options?

Otherwise get the Recon.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I had a similar debate when I purchased our Jeep - Sahara or Rubicon. I ultimately decided that while the Rubicon is a good value for the content it adds, I didn't need or want much of that content. I love camping and getting off the grid several times a year, but a Sahara is enough for what we do. I chose to instead redirect the extra money that would have gone to the Rubicon to the Sky One Touch. While the Rubi bits might have gotten used a few times in the vehicle's life for us, the the SOT top gets used almost everyday. Selec-Trac wasn't available on the Rubi at the time, and I preferred that for its safety. And I would rather have LSD rather that lockers for daily purposes.

But to each his own. There are many people who use their Rubi bits enough to justify their purchase. And others just like the way Rubicons look, and I agree, they do look pretty darn good.

And the 2.0T is awesome, we love ours.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
This type of question comes up every other month or so. You are likely to see good arguments for each option.

If you are likely to get into serious off-roading, get the Rubicon. If not, either one will do. If you are not sure about the off-roading, get the Rubicon just in case.

Both are good vehicles.

Many people choose an option based on their budget. That factor is not valid in this case.

chaynech1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I had a similar debate when I purchased our Jeep - Sahara or Rubicon. I ultimately decided that while the Rubicon is a good value for the content it adds, I didn't need or want much of that content. I love camping and getting off the grid several times a year, but a Sahara is enough for what we do. I chose to instead redirect the extra money that would have gone to the Rubicon to the Sky One Touch. While the Rubi bits might have gotten used a few times in the vehicle's life for us, the the SOT top gets used almost everyday. Selec-Trac wasn't available on the Rubi at the time, and I preferred that for its safety. And I would rather have LSD rather that lockers for daily purposes.

But to each his own. There are many people who use their Rubi bits enough to justify their purchase. And others just like the way Rubicons look, and I agree, they do look pretty darn good.

And the 2.0T is awesome, we love ours.
I am in the same boat right now. The altitude with black accents looks hot. However I would be buying the Rubicon more for the exterior features then functionality. Love the steel bumper, hood, rims and height etc. Do I go with that or save about $5,000 and immediately lift the sahara, put on bigger tires and a metal rubi bumper lol. I have had my sahara for seven years and love it, but kms are getting up there. Never thought I would keep a vehicle for this long.

Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I am in the same boat right now. The altitude with black accents looks hot. However I would be buying the Rubicon more for the exterior features then functionality. Love the steel bumper, hood, rims and height etc. Do I go with that or save about $5,000 and immediately lift the sahara, put on bigger tires and a metal rubi bumper lol. I have had my sahara for seven years and love it, but kms are getting up there. Never thought I would keep a vehicle for this long.
Even if you get a Rubicon, it's still way cheaper to get the steel bumper of craigslist.

chaynech1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Even if you get a Rubicon, it's still way cheaper to get the steel bumper of craigslist.
Good call. I am sure there are take offs where people want something a little more personal and extreme. I think they go for about $1,300 cdn at northridge 4x4
Sponsored