First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
I have a Sahara with color matched fenders. I bought a Rubicon rear steep bumper with holes for the backup sensors. Went to install bumper and found the side brackets are a different length, and I had to order plastic holders for the sensors from dealership. Once I installed the bumper, I noticed the side plastic fairings are short. This causes an esthetic misalignment to the fender, since the Rubicon fenders are higher. When I looked up the parts diagram at the dealership, there is no part that fits the Sport or Sahara. So if you intend to get a steep bumper for either one of these Jeeps, just know that it has an inch misalignment. And there is no remedy for this yet.
Sponsored

GracySahara18

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 18, Acura TL 6spd 04
I have a Sahara with color matched fenders. I bought a Rubicon rear steep bumper with holes for the backup sensors. Went to install bumper and found the side brackets are a different length, and I had to order plastic holders for the sensors from dealership. Once I installed the bumper, I noticed the side plastic fairings are short. This causes an esthetic misalignment to the fender, since the Rubicon fenders are higher. When I looked up the parts diagram at the dealership, there is no part that fits the Sport or Sahara. So if you intend to get a steep bumper for either one of these Jeeps, just know that it has an inch misalignment. And there is no remedy for this yet.
Great info. Thanks for letting us know

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any pictures

Sponsored

DrDoom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2018
Did the same thing this weekend on my Sahara. Already installed the steel front bumper and I’m very happy about the look & feel so why not the rear steel bumper...

After the installation, also notice the misalignment to the fender. To be honest, I thought that there was something that could be done afterward and that I just had to find the proper part. Well no luck so far.

Also, another problem is the clearance for the spare tire (OEM 18 inches). I can still open/close the hatch but it’s definitely touching. At least there is a solution for that (relocation bracket) but I was wondering if anyone ended up with the same problem?

AFfiredawg

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Fire Fighter
Oh that's crappy! I wish I would have known that when I sold it to you! Did you ever find out a solution to make it look right?

Jaysjeepycreepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
I just started to install a rear rubicon steel bumper yesterday on my Sahara. I had read this post previously, but since I had the bumper wanted to try putting it on (only took me 2 months since I bought the bumper)

I am missing one parking sensor holding so need to go to the dealership tomorrow-does anyone have a part number for the holder? I tried looking and it will make the process at the dealer quicker.

What did you all do for the misalignment? Just run it as is or ??

DrDoom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2018
I just started to install a rear rubicon steel bumper yesterday on my Sahara. I had read this post previously, but since I had the bumper wanted to try putting it on (only took me 2 months since I bought the bumper)

I am missing one parking sensor holding so need to go to the dealership tomorrow-does anyone have a part number for the holder? I tried looking and it will make the process at the dealer quicker.

What did you all do for the misalignment? Just run it as is or ??
No solution so far in regards the misalignment. Still thinking about how to fix this. As for the sensors holes; I decided to cap them for now. Ordered some caps on ebay. Will see how they fit.

Jaysjeepycreepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No solution so far in regards the misalignment. Still thinking about how to fix this. As for the sensors holes; I decided to cap them for now. Ordered some caps on ebay. Will see how they fit.
I didn’t look into this much yet, but what If you swapped the Sahara rear bumper ends that would touch the fender with the rubicon ones if they fit? They are both plastic. Not sure if the holes will line up at all making it possible.

Sponsored

DrDoom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2018
I didn’t look into this much yet, but what If you swapped the Sahara rear bumper ends that would touch the fender with the rubicon ones if they fit? They are both plastic. Not sure if the holes will line up at all making it possible.
That was also my first intention but holes wont line up. If you do fond a solution, I definitely want to know about it. Good luck!

Jaysjeepycreepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was also my first intention but holes wont line up. If you do fond a solution, I definitely want to know about it. Good luck!
So it was a pain, but made it work. Had to cut the rubicon ends and fixed the Sahara ends to part of the rubicon ends. Used screws and putty. Here’s how it looks now.

B872AD30-275A-4F98-872A-F52DA16159CF.jpeg

BE60CE7F-964A-45B2-8F5E-C696A1C6857B.jpeg

DrDoom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2018
So it was a pain, but made it work. Had to cut the rubicon ends and fixed the Sahara ends to part of the rubicon ends. Used screws and putty. Here’s how it looks now.

B872AD30-275A-4F98-872A-F52DA16159CF.jpeg

BE60CE7F-964A-45B2-8F5E-C696A1C6857B.jpeg
Very nice work, I didn’t think about trying this solution. Thanks, will definitely check this out as I see the misalignment everyday and I’m completely annoyed by it.

Jaysjeepycreepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very nice work, I didn’t think about trying this solution. Thanks, will definitely check this out as I see the misalignment everyday and I’m completely annoyed by it.
It drove me crazy too. If you want more detailed explanation pm me. My boyfriend is the handy one and did it for me. I can have him give you more details.
Sponsored