Rubicon Rear Differential Gear Oil Capacity Surprise

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I used Mobil 1 75/90 in the front and 75/140 in the rear. I was suprised that it only took 1 1/2 quarts to fill them. I was expecting closer to two quarts.
Thanks for your reply, is this what the manual recommends? I was not sure about the 75/140, is that mainly if you tow? I will be driving a lot in slow speeds, and bad road conditions, hot humid weather, mud and dust (West Africa)...
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Thanks for your reply, is this what the manual recommends? I was not sure about the 75/140, is that mainly if you tow? I will be driving a lot in slow speeds, and bad road conditions, hot humid weather, mud and dust (West Africa)...
Yes, for towing.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, after reading this thread and discovering the smallish capacity decided to go with one of the best high-quality oil Amsoil 75w 140. I have tow package. Thanks to all
Did you do 75/140 front and rear or just in the rear?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Did you do 75/140 front and rear or just in the rear?
Just the rear. The front doesn't get nearly the work, so 75w90 is good to go up front. If you don't tow, 75w90 is also fine for the rear, but I'd still run the 140 in the rear even if I didn't.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
What weight does it call for in the manual for the front and rear?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So what did you guys do?

Buy 1x QT of 75W-90W for the front and 2x QT of 75W-140W. Then use 75W-140W to top up the front?
@RedRaptorJT

You do not need any additional additives if you use Royal Purple or Valvoline..

What I do.... is buy 1 quart of the 75W90 and two quarts of the 75w140. Now, do your rear diff first with the 75w140 and you will have some fluid left over. Now, do your front with the 1 quart of 75w90 and since you will be a tad short of fluid, use the left over 75w140 to fill the diff.

Per Royal Purple and Valvoline, there is absolutely no reason you cannot mix the two product weights together. I spoke with both of their reps on the phone..

Hint: Be sure when you do your diffs (easy to do) to always loosen the fill plug before you drain the diff using the diff drain plug.

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mazda3 Hatch, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Thanks @Rhinebeck01. Great tip on loosening the fill plug first in the event the drain plug is stuck.

This would be my first time changing the diff oil on a truck. Used to do it every season on my outboard boat motor.

I have a Rubicon (JT) with a Rear Diff Lock RDL. Do I need to add an addictive?

Is there there a replaceable gasket or Teflon paste around the drain & fill plugs I need to replace?

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Looking to do this once the warmer weather is here with my son.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks @Rhinebeck01. Great tip on loosening the fill plug first in the event the drain plug is stuck.

This would be my first time changing the diff oil on a truck. Used to do it every season on my outboard boat motor.

I have a Rubicon (JT) with a Rear Diff Lock RDL. Do I need to add an addictive?

Is there there a replaceable gasket or Teflon paste around the drain & fill plugs I need to replace?

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Looking to do this once the warmer weather is here with my son.
@RedRaptorJT

No, you do not need to add any more additive as Royal Purple and Valvoline have it in there already.

In regard to additive.... if the gear oil has it in there you do not need to add... also, if your diffs do not need additive, there is no harm using a gear oil with additive in it...

When you remove the fill and drain bolts, just wipe them off real well and before you screw them back in, apply Yellow Teflon tape to them. Be sure to use YELLOW and not the white Teflon tape they sell. The white is not petroleum product resistant so a no go as the gear oil will eat it up so to speak.

In my posts, I say have 4 quarts on hand of the fluid, even though it only will take 3. I say 4 as a Novice, especially, tends to spill, or squirt the new fluid all over when putting it in. You need almost 3 quarts of gear oil to do both diffs... if you lose a few ounces it can leave you short...

If you get a chance, BEFORE you do your diff fluid change, do read at these threads:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/search/910796/?q=diff,+valvoline&c[users]=Rhinebeck01&o=date